Canada to USCG Documentation...What's the process??? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014

MaJo is on a distinguished road
Re: Canada to USCG Documentation...What's the process???

Quote:
"Our Island Packet had been licenced in Canada, we had no problems selling it to an American. We used a U.S. Vessel Titling company, and provided them with two notorized bills of sale, a document saying they could act on our behalf to check and clear title, plus a copy of our current Canadian pleasure craft licence.

We later filled out a cancellation form and sent it to our Canadian Pleasure Craft Licensing Centre. That's it."
Good info. So you cancelled the license yourself, but you didn't have to provide documentation of that to the American buyers?

This boat is definitely registered and not licensed, I was able to look it up with the link previously posted. How long did the cancellation process take you?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaJo View Post
Thanks so much for all the responses! The owner and I just had a meeting and we're still trying to hash things out, but I have another question. After signing a bill of sale, would it be possible for me to unregister the boat from canada myself, or can only the person whose name is on the registry do that? Either way, it seems like it should be a pretty simple process. I guess I'm off to do more research :P

Once again, thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.

m
You take (or send) a notarized copy of the bill of sale along with a letter requesting de-registration to Transport Canada. Transport Canada has an official bill of sale form on their website that you can download.

Once you have confirmation of de-registering follow normal procedures for USCG documentation.
Old 03-02-2014

Quote:
Good info. So you cancelled the license yourself, but you didn't have to provide documentation of that to the American buyers?

This boat is definitely registered and not licensed, I was able to look it up with the link previously posted. How long did the cancellation process take you?
To the OP. Licensing in Canada is a completely different ball of wax and is irrelevant to your situation as you are dealing with a registered vessel.
Old 03-02-2014
Kzed

kzed is on a distinguished road

To MaJo
the licence is not an ownership document, and it showed that the vessel was NOT registered here in Canada. We can't do both, a vessel must be either registered or licenced in Canada.

Unfortunately, since the boat that interests you is registered, that is a more complicated process. As others have mentioned, it must be removed from the Canadian Register of Vessels. I'm pretty sure there is a fee involved.
Old 03-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzed View Post
To MaJo
the licence is not an ownership document, and it showed that the vessel was NOT registered here in Canada. We can't do both, a vessel must be either registered or licenced in Canada.

Unfortunately, since the boat that interests you is registered, that is a more complicated process. As others have mentioned, it must be removed from the Canadian Register of Vessels. I'm pretty sure there is a fee involved.
It is an increbibly simple process here is a link to the TC bill of sale that you must use.
Old 03-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You take (or send) a notarized copy of the bill of sale along with a letter requesting de-registration to Transport Canada. Transport Canada has an official bill of sale form on their website that you can download.

Once you have confirmation of de-registering follow normal procedures for USCG documentation.
Perfect, so that means I can do it myself once I have a notarized Bill of Sale. That would explain why the owner has never needed this in his previous sales.

Thanks again to everyone for all the great information, I really appreciate it. I don't have a lot of money and pretty much all I have is going into this boat, so I'm trying not to use brokers or anything like that. Its kind of a confusing process though and I want to get it right the first time through, so I really appreciate all the insight.
Old 03-02-2014
Kzed

kzed is on a distinguished road

Hey MaJo, I haven't De-registered a vessel so I can't say if it really is that simple. If you need some kind of certificate that the vessel has been de-registered, there surely will be a fee for that.
Best wishes, and let us know how things turn out.
Old 03-02-2014

Is the letter of de-registration something I can email, or does it need to be snail mail?
Old 03-02-2014

Quote:
Is the letter of de-registration something I can email, or does it need to be snail mail?
The letter and the notarized bill of sale have to be hard copies so FedEx is good.The letter should explain that you are de-listing in Canada and re-listing with USCG.

Send them and a money order for $50.00 (Cdn) to

Transport Canada Marine Safety
Office of Boating Safety (AMSRO)
Tower C. Place de Ville
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0N8

Attn : D. Cosentino
Old 03-02-2014

Sorry, I should have been more clear. BY "hard copies" I mean notarized originals.