Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

SailRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: Costs of trucking a boat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
My son had his Bayfield 36 (LOA 41', beam 12', app. 20,000 lbs) shipped from NC to Anacortes, WA about a year ago, I think it was around $11-12K just for trucking. He got a lot of quotes from Uship that were cheaper but it turned out that most of them were planning to haul it with a 1-ton pickup truck. He decided to use Dudley on my recommendation because I know the owner, but it didn't turn out very well. Apparently Dudley is basically out of the business (or maybe he sold it) and they turned the job over to another company. There was some serious damage to the hull because it was loaded incorrectly and no one would stand behind it (Dudley flat out said they didn't ship it so they weren't liable even though they were the company my son contracted with). Had to eat the repair bill after a lot of hassle. I wouldn't recommend Dudley, unless under new management.
Yea, I think that is how he does it.. Because he was calling people to "see if they could work the dates for a cheaper price" so I guess that makes sense. Well glad I didn't go with them. Sorry to hear about the damage though, that's never good.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2014

sailordave is on a distinguished road

While I've never shipped my boat... I used to crew for a guy who shipped his 48' boat.
What drove up the costs was not so much Length, or Width, but HEIGHT. That determines what roads you can travel more than anything else.
Definitely check around, get references and make sure the boat and the truck are well insured.
Old 03-04-2014

Moody38CC is on a distinguished road

Back in 2006 I used an outfit named MacDonald in south Florida to haul my Moody 38 (38 loa; 12.6 wide; 18k lbs) from Holland, MI, to Deltaville, VA. In making the arrangements, the nice lady at MacDonald told me that if I could be patient, I would save a lot in letting her schedule the haul. She would have the boat brought back to the east coast in connection with her truck and driver taking something out to the mid-west. If I needed the boat now, I would basically have to pay the full fare out and back, whereas shipping the boat back in connection with something going out west would cut the cost close to half because the truck would be generating revenue heading to the mid-west. That was fine with me. The cost for the transport was right at $2600. Cost to have the boat prepared (mostly wrapping the mast) for shipment and loaded and the same at the receiving end cost more than the transport. I was not in a position to do any of the work myself . I could not write the check to MacDonald fast enough when they quoted $2600.

Within three or four weeks of talking to MacDonald, the lady called me to say they would pick the boat up in 3-4 days. I notified both yards and marinas. The transport driver or MacDonald called me daily after the pickup just to say all was going fine. Took three days. No problems; no damage, no nothing.

I recommend MacDonald. I could hardly have gotten the boat from Holland, MI, to NYC for that price, let alone to VA.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 03-04-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Moody38CC, I was told pretty much the same thing. I was also told to ship in the opposite season. IE. Go north in the fall and south in the spring. Trucks don't like to run empty.

In addition; from some of the comments. I have found that sometimes the truck companies are not the same as the contractors. This is what happened to me. I did insure the load just in case. Found out the day they arrived.

Height is huge when shipping. Nothing over 11' 6". I was at 12' and was fine and that was with lifelines up.
Old 03-04-2014

Moody38CC is on a distinguished road

Yes, height is just as critical as width. Within reason, length is not that important, but height and width are. Think low underpasses and narrow roads. The trucking company will determine the route, but if one's boat exceeds the standard width and height for highways, and the figures cited by benesailor look good, the cost rises dramatically as special permits are needed as well as chase and lead cars. If you truck a boat, you will need to know the lowest height configuration you can reduce your boat to. In my case, the yard removed the helm and chart plotter (on top of the binnacle).

Check your insurance policy--most do not cover land transport over a certain distance unless you are providing the transport. I bought a policy from the transportation company for a small amount.
Old 03-05-2014

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Large trucking companies spend a lot of money on logistics software and the experts to design their routes. Key is to keep the truck loaded and moving. To do that requires having the truck always in the right place at the right time. This reduces the cost to trucker and to the shipper, but is no simple task.

With shipping a large boat the logistics become much more complicated. Backhaul opportunities are very limited. And because the operating cost of the truck and driver are virtually the same loaded or unloaded those empty miles add up very quickly. For this reason, if you can work a deal where the company can reduce your cost by matching your trip with another - go for it! It would be worth the wait.

Last edited by TJC45; 03-05-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road

I've always been curious about using Dockwise to move a boat upcoast, float on/float off, no rigging hassles etc. might not be too bad. I know they used to load in Ensenada.
Pacific West Coast :: DYT Yacht Transport
Old 03-06-2014
S/V "MACKINAC"

Maine_bill is on a distinguished road

Jimgo,
You said you used NJ Boat Hauler to transport a boat..
How long ago did you use them?
Wrote for a quote but haven't heard back.. I would like to talk to them because they can save me money on "both ends" of the trip...
They say I don't have to use a travel lift or crane to load/unload the boat.. That saves some cash, if the cost to transport is in line with others.
Thanks
Bill
Old 03-07-2014

parks is on a distinguished road

Have you considered buying a trailer and hauling it overland yourself? I am offering a 3-axle,32'x7 1/2' (tire to tire) trailer used to support a 6-ton, 34' Irwin Citation sailboat during rebuild and haul it to coast. Heavy steel I beams, 14 adjustable support pads, lights, electric brakes, removable 5th wheel gooseneck, 6 new (driven only 500 miles) heavy-duty tires, on blocks to protect tires. Use as your portable "dry dock" or to haul your boat to new location with dually pick-up truck. See classified ad on this Sailnet site. I'd be glad to correspond with you if you think this option might be helpful. Parks
Old 03-07-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have you considered buying a trailer and hauling it overland yourself? I am offering a 3-axle,32'x7 1/2' (tire to tire) trailer used to support a 6-ton, 34' Irwin Citation sailboat during rebuild and haul it to coast. Heavy steel I beams, 14 adjustable support pads, lights, electric brakes, removable 5th wheel gooseneck, 6 new (driven only 500 miles) heavy-duty tires, on blocks to protect tires. Use as your portable "dry dock" or to haul your boat to new location with dually pick-up truck. See classified ad on this Sailnet site. I'd be glad to correspond with you if you think this option might be helpful. Parks
Now there is an idea; i never thought about that. If you knew that you would ship the boat more than once it would pay to have a trailer built. I'll have to remember that.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.