Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014

captain44 is on a distinguished road
Re: Irwin 1975 24 10/4 opinions, info

I sailed one a couple of times in the early 80's on the Chesapeake and was very impressed with her roominess and how well she sailed and handled in light winds. I remember that the centerboard pendant broke...can't recall much else but it is a compromised design in many respects. If you want a similar LOA boat that also has a lot of room consider the Nonsuch 26--very different from the Irwin 10/4 in many respects but similar in terms of room and beam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014

Frigga is on a distinguished road

The pin holding the center board on my Irwin 10/4 looks pretty shot anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? How is it held in? If I tap it through should I maybe replace it with stainless rod with threads on both ends? Roger
Old 05-07-2014

rmjohns is on a distinguished road

I had my centerboard off maybe ten years ago. It's just that stainless steel pivot rod that is epoxied into the leading edge of the keel. Mine had worked through the fiberglass on one side so no telling how long it would have been before the pivot rod wiggled out completely and the centerboard dropped out. I tapped it back in with a hammer and epoxied a flat washer on the end of the pivot rod to give it something to push against. That was a couple haul outs ago and it seemed to be holding.

If you could find a rod that was threaded on just the ends that would probably work. I was thinking at the time that a long smooth shaft bolt would also work. I wouldn't put a nut on the other end. Just epoxy it in and the bolt head would give the fiberglass a little purchase to grab on to. There isn't much weight on that centerboard, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I guess the other question is if stainless is the right metal. I understand stainless isn't good imbedded in fiberglass as it can't get oxygen. Having said that, mine didn't look bad after 30 years. Maybe it isn't stainless? Don't know.

Rob
Old 07-09-2014

Frigga is on a distinguished road

Rob,
I took your advice and after a new bow sprit, 1,500$ on 8 hp yanmar repair, paint everywhere port lights and a trip to Ocrocoke NC for a race that got canceled 1/2 way due to lighting wow what humidity great time though. Now I'm having the yard do the rest, stuffing boxes and some pretty rusty pullyes to the center board with luck we may just sail this year. This badly neglected boat has been quite a challenge . With lives curve balls thrown in. I hope we can keep in touch I've read your post a number of times it's the best info I have on this boat I really have great plans for summer fun on her. We sail great and little Peconic mostly. I'll moor the a few hundred feet from where Einstien kept his boat when he summered in Cutchogue. Hope you don't mind if we have a few more questions when we actually get in the water. Have a great summer, Roger

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.