Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road
Irwin 1975 24 10/4 opinions, info

Not much info on the net that i could find.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2014

Re: Irwin 1975 24 10/4 opinions, info

Sry I meant the 1975 25 10/4
Old 03-04-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I'm sure you have come across these sites. Wow, that is one beamy boat (thus the 10'4").

IRWIN 10/4 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Aft cockpit irwins and citations IR23-30 CIT30,32 IR43-60 navigation
Duckworks - Making a Terminal Trawler
Old 03-04-2014

Thx for the links...i went to see the Irwin 25 10/4 today...wow...I could not believe how big that boat was for a 25 footer..not the boat for me
Old 03-05-2014

rmjohns is on a distinguished road

I've owned an '76 Irwin 10/4 for about 15 years now, sailing on the sounds of North Carolina. It's a great weekender, big for it's size, the beam also makes it fairly stable. The cockpit is also fairly large, we have can get 8 people in there without too much problem. We've had it out in the sounds when we shouldn't have and other than us turning a little green, the boat did fine.

She sails pretty good in my book, though I do tend to reef her early, maybe 15-18 knots. And she always seems to want at least some headsail out, just doesn't pull well with only the main.

A number of them came with a 7hp diesel, Yanmar YSB8. This is a great little engine that I can't seem to kill given that it starts first time every time after almost 40 years, but at 7000lbs, the boat is a little under powered. On the plus side, I struggle to empty the 15 gallon diesel tank in a season and in NC my season goes pretty much 12 months a year. (62 and sunny this weekend)

Course Irwin has the reputation of being an Irwin.. All the portlights leak. The mast step tends to leak, some of them came with the wooden mast compression post sitting in the bilge water, mine it sits up on a fiberglass pedestal. The decks are plywood cored, so you can get water intrusion. The centerboard can be troublesome (As can any centerboard) and the shallow draft makes for a smaller rudder that can get overpowered. You could probably say all of this for most boats this old.

All in all, I love the boat for the way I currently use a boat.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to answer what I can.

Rob
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Frigga is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I just spent the weekend cleaning up my new to me Irwin 10/4 much more needs to be done. The bowsprit looks great but the wood is shot not sure if the time to replace it is worth it on my list of priorities with the main stress pulling up on the cable that all looks solid maybe I'll wait on that. I'm also not sure about how to deal with the drop keel it needs to be re-cabled how do you paint in there? do you take the keel out? It looks like it needs more room to paint in there while it's only 14" to the ground.
I'm a jack of some trades master of a few. I've had many boats but this one sure needs some help. If you have any links that could prove helpful that would be great. Where is the best Yanmar parts site? I have the one you have I think 8hp? the exhaust elbow is shot. I can't find a club or forum dedicated only to the 10/4?
I sail in the Peconic bays on Long Island N.Y. My friend Invited me down to the race in his 32 Tartan out to Ocracoke. He's a Professor at Greenville college and keeps his boat east of little Washington on the Pamlico river. The last trip we took was to Bellhaven. Thanks, Roger
Old 3 Weeks Ago

rmjohns is on a distinguished road

Roger,
Are you saying the plywood core in the bowsprit is rotted? Not sure how structurally critical that is. I have talked to another 10/4 owner who replaced the core in his bowsprit but though it would have held fine without the plywood as the fiberglass is pretty thick on it. And yes, a good part of the stress is up-down, but I would expect the jib to add some horizontal stress as well.

I have had to replace my centerboard cable once and had the boatyard do it. The previous owner had a lady friend that could fit her hand up in the well and rewire it. The curse of the centerboard is that they are difficult to work on just in that it's hard to do any work up in the well. I will typically get the boatyard to lift my boat in the hoist and then go to lunch so I can paint the centerboard. Always makes me nervous being under 8000lbs swinging in the wind, but it seems to work, I normally don't get much growth on the centerboard.

The Yanmar elbow is a pretty common piece to go, I plan on every 5 years or so. I get a number of parts from Mack Boring on the web, but I've always gotten the elbow from our local dealer here, Deatons Yacht. Typically I also get the downpipe and the exhaust manifold at the same time as they tend to rust into one piece.

I've had my 10/4 out to Ocracoke, that's a 2 day trip for me from New Bern but a nice sail. Belhaven is on our list as well, but haven't made it up that far yet. That gets to be a tight sail for a weeks vacation leaving time for a weather window.

My first sail, the one that got me hooked on sailing as a kid, was up on the Hudson River out of Kingston.

Rob.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

joebeach is on a distinguished road

Rob - Thanks for the great recap on the pros/cons of the 10/4.

Shortynsalty - where is/was the 10/4 you passed on listed for sale? I might be interested. Thanks....

Last edited by joebeach; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:31 PM. Reason: got a name wrong
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dfok is on a distinguished road

There is a clean Irwin 10/4 for sale at our club in North East, MD, I think the owner is looking for around $3500. He was replacing the plywood in the bowsprit last week.
Looks like a nice boat for the Chesapeake, if anyone is looking PM me and I'll put you in touch with the owner
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Frigga is on a distinguished road

dfok,
Did the 10/4 owner replace the whole piece of plywood is the bowsprit or just the the rotted part? How big a job was it ? Thanks Roger