Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006

David Poindexter is on a distinguished road
Looking for a liveaboard

I want to be able to sail away for weeks. Just retired and I want to start a big change. I need some advice on how to choose and what to look for. Any help is appreciated. I can be e-mailed also thru the web site.
I am looking for sizes that were successful for the one week trip without being over bearing for two to sail and not to difficult to financially maintain.

Last edited by David Poindexter; 03-03-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
FIrst of all, do you have any experience sailing? Or is it something you want to take up? Are you wanting to go offshore, or just up and down the ICW? What level of creature comforts do you expect, want, or need?

The first step is defining what it is you are going to do, then you can look for what will accomplish that. A realistic assessment is key to finding the proper boat.

Welcome to the ranks of the gainfully unemployed!

John
Old 03-04-2006

Baublesailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Poindexter
I am looking for sizes that were successful for the one week trip without being over bearing for two to sail and not to difficult to financially maintain.
A few months after I retired, I bought a '78 Catalina 30. For the next fourteen years, it did exactly what you are asking.
Old 03-04-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
David,
There's no general guidelines for type and size boat will make a trip comfortable, it's all personal - depens entirely on what your expectations for comfort, convenience, speed, safety, appearances, status and pecking-order. Think of going camping - two boys scouts in a pup tent can enjoy a week of camping outdoors as much as a retired couple in a fourty foot motorhome. Who actually "needs" anything more than a tarp and a sleeping bag to go camping. Same idea with sailing, only you can decide what your "needs" are. I believe shortest sailboat to make a cross-Atlantic trip was 8 feet.
Old 03-25-2006

wlallen is on a distinguished road
David, We may have the boat you're looking for. A 1981 37' Endeavour. Great cruising boat fully equiped. Sail away condition. You canreach me at wjballen@aol.com We are located in New Bern, NC
Old 03-28-2006

flicker is on a distinguished road
This is a long shot, but you're not the same David Poindexter that lived in Marywood are you?

Chas.
Old 03-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are alot of boats out there that are suitable for what you want to do, but you really need to figure out what you really want the boat to do. If you're going to be going on long-distance trips, then the type of boat you want is probably different than if you're just going to live on the boat, take it out on the bay once in a while but mostly live at a marina dock.