Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006

jpeurach is on a distinguished road
Question Recommednation for moored daysailor in Maine

My family is looking for a small sailboat that can be moored on a medium sized lake in Maine (Thompson Lake). Ideally this boat will be easily trailable yet safe to leave moored for the entire summer.

I have looked around and found a Flying Scot (retractable, ballasted centerboard) and J-22 to be a couple options, but these are both a bit larger that we were hoping for. Does anyone have suggested alternatives? The boat will be used for daysailing around the lake.

Thanks, Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2006

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
Recommendations..

I would recommend against a FS. I had one years ago and found it to be a fun boat to sail, but everything on it was very old technology. Also, if you capsize, the boat can fill with water. I don't think it is the safest of boats--others may disagree.
The J22 is significantly larger than the FS. What size are you thinking of? How many need to go out on the boat? Maybe look around the lake and see what others are sailing.

Rob
Old 03-06-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
If you're leaving it on a mooring all summer, you may want something somewhat substantial, so you don't have to worry about it capsizing on the mooring in some shifty lake breeze. A Rhodes 19 or Oday Daysailor would be tough enough to leave out for extended periods without needing a lot of upkeep. Depending upon how deep the lake is you might want to go with a centerboard version if one's available. They don't have to cost a lot, and you may be able to arrange a tarp/tent over the boom and go weekending (if you take plenty of DEET). I would second rbh1515's position on the FS. The ones I've sailed on were set up with gear that purposely made it difficult to set the sails properly, in order to make them all "the same". The reverse sheer on the FS does not compare well with most other boats either.
Old 03-07-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
You say the Flying Scot is a bit larger than you were hoping for. What were you hoping for? Most boats that will be large enough to take a family out, sitting in a cockpit as opposed to on deck, will likely be at least 19' long. There aren't that many choices in boats smaller than that, unless you're thinking about something like a Sunfish or a Laser.

How many people will you want the boat to carry at one time?

Are you thinking about a new boat or a used boat? (what's your budget?)

What kind of vehicle do you have for towing the boat and trailer? (what's its rated towing capacity?)

How deep is the water in your lake? What about the ramp where you'll be launching and retrieving from? Can it accomodate a keel boat (like a J22) or would a centerboard/swing keel be better?

You might look at the offerings from Vanguard: http://www.teamvanguard.com/ (perhaps the Nomad?)

You might also consider a Lightning: http://www.lightningclass.org/brochure.html

Regards,

Tim
Old 03-10-2006

jlord is on a distinguished road
The Nomad is a Great Solution

I've owned a Vanguard Nomad for about a year now and sail it every weekend down here in St Pete, Florida. She's exceptionally stable, very comfortable, easy to rig but she still provides plenty of excitement when pushed -- especially flying the spin. Downsides? She ain't cheap and she doesn't point as well as a Capri 16.5 or a Precision 18.5 - but once she's on a close reach; watch out!!

This boat was DESIGNED for exactly your purposes - a fun, stable and safe family daysailer. Here's a link to the designer's Web page: http://www.bana.com/nomad/

Have fun and good luck in your search!

Jon
Old 03-10-2006

gstraub is on a distinguished road
Whatever you get, I suggest getting something that has at least a little cuddy that can be locked so you can stow life jackets, oars, bailer, sponge, etc on board without having to haul that stuff to the boat every time!

Gerhard