Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2006

pbf00t is on a distinguished road
Searching for first keelboat

I'm a lifetime sailor, except that lifetime has been spent on Laser's, Laser II's, Blue Jay's, Soling's, etc. Now with little kids, I'm looking for my first keelboat

I expect to make my share of mistakes and I realize I probably don't even know what to look for in a used boat, so I need something to learn on but it also needs to be stable and reliable so I don't scare the family away.

My cruising will be exclusively on Lake Champlain in Vermont/New York

I want to buy something that is inexpensive as I don't really want to care too much about the boat. At the same time, I need to buy smart, so I can get out of the boat and upgrade in a couple years. The late model Hunter's in the range of 28 to 32 keep catching my eye as good family boats to upgrade to.

I would like to do a couple races, but nothing major, the kids are too small to be interested right now and I don't want to turn them off of racing.

So far, the only boat I've come across in my area that meets the "cheap, reliable, performance good enough" criteria is an '82 Oday 28.

From reading owner reviews, it sounds like with the right sails and the right skipper, this boat sails much better than it looks like it should. Is this true?

Are there other boats out there that offer the same forgiving sailing characteristics, roominess (for a 28' boat), the same "bang for the buck" and have lines that still look somewhat modern?

Everything else I've looked at in the 28 to 31 foot range is typically half again or twice the going price of an Oday 28, why is that?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
Yugo vs Chevrolet

You may not have been around for the Yugo imports, but there's a reason they're not around any more. O'days are often offered at a discount because of various "issues". With a young family and other expenses , you may want to avoid some of these issues. Unlike Yugo, Chevrolet is still around, and they're worth more to people. The "other" boats you're finding more expensive may not have as many potential problems. The current issue of Windcheck (a Long Island Sound publication) has two C&C 29's for sale, for example one asking less than $10k, the other about twice that. A C&C should give you better racing performance than many other designs, and there should be some around up on lake Champlain. The 29 Mk1 has a nice layout for a young family. A used boat will have some issues, but going with a better quality boat helps control them. Be sure any offer is subject to a survey, of course. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2006

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
first keelboat

How about a Colgate 26. Its a great little keelboat. Big cockpit for the family. You can race it. They are well made and unsinkable. They resell well. Only drawback is a small cabin. Not sure how much you want to spend, but you can get a good used one for low $20s with a trailer. Rob
Old 03-14-2006

maestro is on a distinguished road
taking issue

Paulk,

I am going to take issue with your against O'Day sailboat (and the 28 in general) I have sailed my 28 for 3 years now, and Yes I bought her at a substancial discount, but it was for cosmetic things that have been fixed. She now can sell for more than double what I paid for her. O"Day in their time were Quality small production boats . O"Day went out of business NOT because of their quality, but like other boat maunufacturers, the cost of production was far greater than sales. (Pearson, Cal, and dozens more companies went under...we can thank the good ol' govt. for the taxes levied on the boat buyers.)
Are parts for O'Day hard to find. Nope. Is the quality good. I believe they are. They were considered quality boats in the 80's and I don't see anything that has changed since then. Al boats that are 20+ years old will have some "issues" delamination, some deck rot, scratches, dings in the hull, etc,etc. But you'll find them in an 80's Catalina or a 80's era C&C too.

As for the original post concerning the "Cost" of an O'DAy 28 vs. other 28-30ft. boats.

The average cost for an O'Day 28 (circa mid 80's ) is approx. 15,000-$18,000. A newer O'Day 28 (85-90)can reach $23,00-$25-000 That would be with the Universal Diesel motor. With the OMC saildrive, the average cost goes down to around 10,000-15,000
The 28 was a MORC influenced coastal cruiser/ club racer, with a generous sailplan for a boat that size. The interior volume is comparible to most other 30 ft. boats. (beam is 10'3"). It is a stiff boat that can handle a blow ( I was in a 40-50 kt. microburst last year and she kept me safe)

For a family of 3-4, this boat is great for a older coastal cruiser that you could race in beer can races.

Mike C.
O'28 "Da Capo"
Old 03-14-2006

Jack Tar is on a distinguished road
You don't mention if you're looking for a day sailer, weakender or something else but there is a gorgeous Pearson Commander daysailer for sale in Charlotte for $5900. Great Carl Alberg boat.
Old 03-14-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
PBF,

Boat values reflects the combination of the quality of construction, design, equipment and maintenance levlel. So to go with a less expensive boat, you need to forego some level of these factors.

Oday was an OK boat sold at an OK price. IMHO opinion for a modest premium you can find better construction and design in the likes of a Catalina, C&C, Pearson, Cal or Tartan of the same era, but will pay more for that. You need to decide what factors are important to you (and what you expect will be important to buyers when you go to sell...). The boats you mention cost more because their characteristics make them more desireable to knowing buyers. I'd say there's nothing wrong with an Oday as a starter boat, you need to decide whether you'll be happy with one as your expectations may develop with experience.

As to "The late model Hunter's in the range of 28 to 32 keep catching my eye..." I offer the following link to an expert's insight on how an OK-looking boat can actually be junk:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/hunter28.htm
Old 03-14-2006

Thanks for the replies, I'll add some more information....

First off, the Oday 28 I found is $15k, which means it is a cash deal and in the grand scheme, would not be a huge deal if I had to walk away from it. If it comes down to another year on the powerboat or a less desirable sailboat, I'd rather be sailing.

I'm looking for a boat that can be used over a long weekend, mostly we will be sailing from the slip to the beach so the kids can play, but I'd like to do a few overnighters as well. My main priority this summer is to keep it fun for the kids, they are five, they don't know an Oday from a Dufour. But spending the night off a lake Champlain island is downright exciting stuff for them. If I want them to be sailors, it needs to be fun, right?

The first boat I buy I don't plan to keep for more than two seasons, this initial boat purchase is primarily for learning all the things I don't know I don't know, so I can make a better decision when I invest in the "boat I really want". I also have quite a bit to learn about repairing boats, not my favorite thing to do, but it will keep boat budget money around for the fun things, like sails and gadgets.

All that said, I'll look around and try to get onboard an older Cal, C&C or Catalina.
Old 03-14-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Patience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbf00t
All that said, I'll look around and try to get onboard an older Cal, C&C or Catalina.
We looked for a year before finding and deciding on our C&C 27. It's worth being patient, because a wide range of boats may come on the market as the year passes, with a surge both early and late in the season. We bought in mid-winter, but at the moment the pickings are pretty slim in our area. Patience can pay off...

Jim H
Old 03-14-2006

I've noticed that the pickings are slim, that is for sure. Except on high end of the market, plenty of choices the closer you get to six figures.

Does anybody on the forum know who the more reputable brokers are in the New England area? I end up in Southern New Hampshire every week, which drops me near anything between Boston and Portland. I'm also frequently in Connecticut and at least once every month or two end up in Chicago, where I assume there are plenty of fresh water boats available for a transportation fee.

I think at this stage in my search I need to be looking at as many boats as possible.

Where do people advertise private sales? Or is it all on YachtWorld.com
Old 03-15-2006

Busdrver is on a distinguished road
Cal

Look closely at the Cals, based on how you are planning to use the boat. Very roomy for it's size, solid, sails like a dream, and I doubt anybody will ever accuse a Cal of being tender. Also will easily sail to it's PHRF rating (or so I'm told ).

2 caveats. 1 is that I'm a relatively new sailor so I don't have a ton of experience with other boats. But we own a Cal 25 and have been extremely pleased with it. The second is the fact that these are old boats now. So if you decide on a Cal, shop carefully, especially if you don't want to spend lot's of time working on them. But you might be able to find a decent 25 for less than 10K.

Good luck.

John