Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2001

h20nut is on a distinguished road
A new catalina 36?

denr,
That sounds great. Sabre makes a really nice boat for your neck of the woods.If your boat runs with Catalina 40''s she''s pretty darn quick.(PHRF`112) This exchange started when paul-e asked about Catalina 36''s. Paul-e give me a buzz if you would like to contact other Catalina owners.
denr I don''t understand your confusion regarding Catalina yachts. Spirited debate should always be a healthy thing. I appreciate your input and look forward to our next chat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2001

paul-e is on a distinguished road
A new catalina 36?

Denr, thanks for the warning of shoaling ground and rough seas if I purchase a new Catalina 36. Water-nut, I''d love to chat with Catalina 36 owners. Especially those who sail nearly every spring/summer/fall weekend and take a few week-long trips and who may have a tall-rig/wing keel combo. How can you put me in touch with them? Denr, I own a ''72 Tartan 34 that we love. We sail this, and our buddies Cape Dory 36, Pearson 35, Alden 44 and Sweden Yacht 37 (boat snob boats) in the lower Chesapeake. We''d like to have a bigger, newer boat, but couldn''t find a really nice used 1990''s vintage of any of those great boats you mentioned (and any one we did find was rather pricy). Thus, we thought we''d have fun looking at new boats. Started with Hallberg-Rassy (great exchange rate), Pacific Seacrafts (Crealock and Ericson) and Island Packet. All great boats, but I can''t yet sell the house! So, of the Catalina/Hunter/Beneteau/Bavaria group, we''ve almost settled on the Catalina 36 because it appears to be a solidly constructed, well-thought out (sea worthy?) boat. Anyhow, looks like I''ve got more investigating to do.
Old 05-05-2001

A new catalina 36?

Paul-e,
Ican provide you with a copy of the latest Mainsheet, the Catalina owners magazine as well as a number of owners who would be glad to discuss all things Catalina. I''m not quite sure how to exchange personal info on this site. I''m surprised that more owners haven''t responded to this exchange. Are there any owners out there? The next Catalina 36 will be hull #2006. In regards to your question about the port side fwd. lower chainplate tierod. Catalina usually laminates a heavy guage aluminum angle into the deck. On this model (36) the head arrangement precludes this backing method. They use a hvy guage aluminum clip with backing blocks. They are located very close to the structural bulk head just aft of the sink. I haven''t seen any fractures or failures on any 36''s. This is one of the few models still using a keel stepped spar(and a pretty robust spar it is) Once again I''d like to hear from some owners on this topic.
I''m glad to see that you''ve been looking at other manufacturers. It is possible to have a good sailing quality boat that is also a good value.
Standing by;
Waternut.....
Old 05-07-2001

A new catalina 36?

h20nut,
thanks for the info and encouragement. i''ll pick up a mainsheet at our local dealer. just talked to an owner of an early 80''s vintage catalina 36 who told me the boat has served him well. only complaint is that while running in rough seas, steering "goes out", as though the boat flexes just enough to put slack in the cable. this happens only briefly, but made for a very scary run. i understand this may be possible on a boat with large unsupported panels of glass. could this actually be a problem with catalina 36s? i suppose i need to go directly to the factory to see how the hull liner is "bedded" to the hull (fiberglass tape?, 5200?) and compare this to how, for example, the hull of a hallberg-rassy, island packet or bavaria is strengthened. i, too, am surprised that we''ve not had additional comments from catalina owners, or previous catalina owners that either loved or disliked their boat. looking forward to additional info. and thanks again for the help. (p.s., the placement of that forward port-side tie-rod still bothers me...i examined a mid-80''s southern cross 35. you should see the size of those ties rods. similar design but twice the diameter of the catalina tie rods, and looks like they are glassed to the hull).
Old 05-07-2001
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
A new catalina 36?

I told you they''re in denial. The three owners of new Catalinas I know all complain about the pan loosing it''s bond from the hull in a few places resulting in squeeky areas of the cabin sole. To solve this where access was possible, we epoxied a teak block of wood between the hull and the pan. It is sometimes like fixing a squeeky floor in your house, you solve the squeek in the original spot but move the squeek to another area. I''m trying to be constructive waternut, don''t start getting defensive.
Old 05-07-2001

Centaur is on a distinguished road
A new catalina 36?

After reading all these threads I''d have to agree with DENR. The average sailor would be suprised by the shortcuts taken in the construction of some boats with fairly good reputations that you don''t see until you take the boat apart to repair something simple. In my experience, the most common finds are fiberglass tabing releasing where there should have been more substantial fiberglass attachment, and screws where there should have been bolts....
Old 05-07-2001

A new catalina 36?

Paul-e,
For more info regarding Catalina 36''s.A good source of info may be Mainsheets technical editor Bob Mc Cullough, he can be reached at 215-234-4491 or Captain_Bob_McC@prodigy .net
Bob specializes in C-36,s. Gerry Douglass the Catalina design engineer can be reaced at gerard@catalinayachts.com., (818)-884-7700.
If you need more info,let me know.
If you can''t reach them let me know.
I''ll be back from my "denial ''break in a few minutes.
Old 05-08-2001

A new catalina 36?

Thanks denr and h2onut. Separation of hull and "bonded" liner is the very kind of thing I''m worried about. I know that 95% of my sailing will be in kind weather. It''s that 5% when I must sail in nasty stuff to get home (I need that job) that I''m concerned about. My sailing friends (Cape Dory 36, Alden 44, Southern Cross 35) all say when we''re in the bad stuff, "this boat''s a better sailor than we''ll ever be". I need to feel that way about my next boat. Just got a reply from Cap''n Hugenot (Naval Architect, SF Bay area message board) about my conerns with catalina 36 hull integrity. He assured me that he has sailed many catalinas in the pacific with no problems, and had just delivered a catalina 36 from victoria to san fran. he referred me to david gerr''s new book "elements of boat strength". should be good reading. cap''n hugenot also mentioned that catalina''s long-term reputation is good. so, i''m still baffled. sqeaky sole in a relatively new boat sounds ugly. enjoying the exchange. thanks again.
Old 05-08-2001
Catalina 38 Avantura

duffer1960 is on a distinguished road
A new catalina 36?

Check out sailboatowners.com. They are a website dedicated to Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau, C&C, O''Day, and MacGregor sailboats. There is a ton of information on this site.
Old 05-11-2001

fishclan is on a distinguished road
A new catalina 36?

http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/default.htm
paul-e check this site out if you want a scientific aproach to finding a good safe seaworthy boat.
David

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.