Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Cal 36 VS Pearson 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
That Pearson 36 that you show is the model that ended in 1975. You said it was a 1976 Pearson which would make it a 365 which is a great layout and has the stall shower. Most are ketches.

http://web.archive.org/web/200307301...hure/365-6.jpg
According to SailboatData the Pearson I showed was last built in 1976. The 365 is a very different boat I agree.
The Following User Says Thank You to mitiempo For This Useful Post:
Tricolorul (03-20-2014)
Old 03-19-2014

sailpower is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
According to SailboatData the Pearson I showed was last built in 1976. The 365 is a very different boat I agree.

The 365 did come out in 1976 so maybe there were a couple of the older model also built that year?
Old 03-19-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
The 365 did come out in 1976 so maybe there were a couple of the older model also built that year?
There was probably an overlap of models. The 2 are quite different so would appeal to different customers.
Old 04-29-2014

appick is on a distinguished road

I passed up on a Cal 36 I am still kicking myself for 3 years later. It was in Holland MI and the guy selling it wanted out bad (in over his head). The interior was pretty rough, floors replaced with plywood, and everthing was cetol brown... It did still have the functioning and ever curious keel trim tab/ flap!?! The reason I'm kicking myself the asking price was $8k and it went for $5. It was a sound hull and decks, the insides were ugly but solid... ohwell! I like the lay out of both. They both have the table off to the side.

I've seen showers done in much smaller heads than whats on the Cal, it's possible to plum in. I think for me If they are both about equal in condition, the nicer interior materials would be a big plus for the Cal. I'm a suck for asthetics! Sure you can paint the formica and it looks a ton better than the original greenish fake wood grain crap in the Pearsons (That being said I'm looking at a Vanguard). It just still doesn't hold a candle to the beauty of varnished mahagony (besides when its inside it doesn't need constant attention)!

A4s can be great or a pain in the ass, like any other engine. Get familiar with how to clean the carb (idle jets are hugely imporant!). I pull mine and clean/ check it every year before launch (I just want a trouble free summer). Also an electronic ignition kit ups the reliability a ton. Also if you have the common thermostat or lack there of problem check out Indigo Electronic's they have lots of upgrades and accessories for the A4, including a new thermostat set up.

Good luck and happy hunting/deciding.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2014

paul323 is on a distinguished road

My advice would be to look at the equipment. They are both great boats, and the layout to you seems like not too big a deal to you - so think of the boats as a collection of parts. What are the upgrades you would need to add to the Cal to bring it up to the level you would like - both in terms of cost and time. Now do the same calculation for the Pearson. Consider the big ones (standing rigging, engine, sail wardrobe) and medium (pressure system, water heater, autopilot, overall electronics age/condition). If you are like many of us, buying, mooring and maintaining the boat uses up a lot of funds, leaving not much else for upgrades...so sometimes a well-equipped shabby will be a better decision than a well-maintained spartan....
Old 04-30-2014

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

The 36 is different from the 365. The 36 was a Shaw design, I think and he said it was among his favorites. I have a friend who sunk some money into a 36 and did extremely well racing her in PHRF racing. I do remember hearing that there was a problem with the keel dropping on a couple of old Pearson 36s. If you go with the 36, have your surveyor look very carefully at the keel.
Old 05-01-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Both the 36 and 365 were Bill Shaw designs. The 36 was a classic 70s era racer-cruiser, similar to the smaller Pearson 30 and 10m of similar vintage. The 365 was an all out cruiser. MUCH slower than the 36 PHRF 204(!) vs 138 for the 36. The Cal 36 is 150 if you're interested.