Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: How to sell a 32 foot Downeast sailboat

Quote:
WTH?? Who would build a boat in the southwest and call it a 'down east'???
Ever been to Maine ? They call going North "down east", Mainers take pride in confusing us "Outsiders", I been married to one for 40 years.
When I was a boy you could get high from fiberglass fumes just walking thru some of the boat building cities in Southern California, we pretty much assumed all boats were built here.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 03-26-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

costa mesa, santa ana... made some nice boats...my favs from there are the yankees...

still a dream boat to me...they shutdown cause they were too good to let the recession make them build crap boats...jajaja

I like that..so they cut their losses and left us with some damn well built boats...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2014
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

I made a 12% loss on my DE 38 over 5 years, buying at the height and selling at the low. Probably could have got more money but I wanted a quick sale, priced below any boat on yachtworld that looked similar in quality and sold in two weeks with a tear in my eye. I'd worked continuously on the boat and feel it was in similar condition when I sold it to when I bought it.

Hopefully the loss was made up by a discount on my next boat but I may never know that as we have no plans to sell..

Don't undersell yourself, if you've been maintaining the boat which it sounds like you have then the hull is likely solid (even bullet proof) and it might have similar worth to when you bought it.

Old 03-26-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
When I was a boy you could get high from fiberglass fumes just walking thru some of the boat building cities in Southern California, we pretty much assumed all boats were built here.
Back in the day they pretty well were, except for the ones built in Tampa anyway.

Costa Mesa was mecca for anyone interested in sailboats in the 70's.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-26-2014

fryewe is on a distinguished road

You might try the Sailing Texas website. Their "Sailboats for Sale" feature seems to be effective based on their Sailboat Photo Gallery which gives the history of all their listings. A couple of Downeast 32s have been listed there. One sold in '08 for what you paid for yours and another was originally listed last year at 32.5K but lowered to 22.9K about a month later. That ad expired and there is no indication of whether it sold or not (the site doesn't know unless the seller lets them know).
Old 03-26-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Nice boat, I looked at one that was in awful shape and they wanted more than that. I think it was for sale for 4 or 5 years, and he never lowered his price. I often wonder what it wound up selling for if it ever did. I know the broker would not renew the listing. You sound to have reasonable expectations. List it here, Craigs List, and sailboat listings. If it does not sell for over $20,000 you might want to put it on eBay.
Old 03-28-2014
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Seems like a lot of boat for $20k. There's one here in the Great Lakes asking something in the $50k range.

Another free option to help get some eyeballs on your boat if you do decide to sell: SailFarYachts.com

Old 03-28-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Seems like a lot of boat for $20k. There's one here in the Great Lakes asking something in the $50k range.

Another free option to help get some eyeballs on your boat if you do decide to sell: SailFarYachts.com
Some one may be asking 50 but will never see it. Even if it is perfect. They are nice boats but not 50 I would think a really nice one might bring 30 rp 35 but 50 is dreaming.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2014

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

where were you 6 months ago .. downeaster 32 was on my short list .. its a hard market right now but assuming everything is in good order I think you can probably get 20k. tis the season and all .. with the weather about to turn great around here people will be looking.
Old 03-29-2014

MarioG is on a distinguished road

you can also put an E-bay ad with a buy it now at your asking price. I and I'm sure others look at the boats on E-bay. I one my 2nd boat on E-bay and know if I don't stay off their site might endding up owning another boat.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.