SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   How to sell a 32 foot Downeast sailboat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/129890-how-sell-32-foot-downeast-sailboat.html)

shansen5 03-25-2014 04:47 PM

How to sell a 32 foot Downeast sailboat

I have a 1977 Downeast 32 sailboat here in Bellingham, Washington. I bought it for $23,000 in 2005. I've loved the boat and never wanted anything more than what this is. Circumstances now say that I should sell it. I thought I'd see if I could get opinions on what path to take in doing so.

I've put a new Yanmar engine in it in 2008, just over 500 hours now. I added a Dickinson heater, put on a dodger, several other fix-ups. The sails are functional but very old and have been patched several times. A friend has the same boat, one year newer, and has been all over the south Pacific for the past 5 or so years. They are well-built boats.

I'd like to think I could get $20,000 for it. I haven't started to look around to see what boats are now selling for, though, so I don't know if that expectation is reasonable.

Do you think I should use a broker, craigslist, or what other means to sell it?

Faster 03-25-2014 05:05 PM

re: How to sell a 32 foot Downeast sailboat

I'd try your various local Craigslists/Kijiji for starters. Be prepared to be disappointed in what boats are going for these days. You also need to decide how quick a sale you need. A low asking price will hasten most deals, esp relative to other similar models in the area.

Don't forget to factor in the ongoing costs of moorage and upkeep as you hold out for a better deal vs the hit you'd take selling sooner.

Generally if you can offer/transfer the boat's moorage the odds on a quicker sale go up in a hurry, at least up here where moorage is very tight.

krisscross 03-25-2014 08:24 PM

re: How to sell a 32 foot Downeast sailboat

I would say that even in the current market you should be able to get 20K for it. I have been looking at boats here on East Coast for over a year now and you have a nice boat. Try sailboatlistings.com - very good site for selling your boat IMO, lots of traffic.

Faster 03-25-2014 09:02 PM

Re: How to sell a 32 foot Downeast sailboat

In your favour: there are currently two on Sailboatlistings.com.. both have been for sale for over a year, one of them nearly two. Asking low $30Ks.. both back east, I think, so you'd need to try to find a west coast listing for a better comparison.

A Yachtworld search.. wide range of askings.. only one in Cali.

1975 Downeaster (Sail) Boats For Sale

As an 'East Coast' boat they are likely on the rare side here on the left coast, that may hurt your potential, however by the looks of it a low $20K listing should draw some interest depending on condition.

SloopJonB 03-25-2014 10:59 PM

Weren't the Downeast boats built in L.A.?

Argyle38 03-25-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloopJonB (Post 1667794)

Irvine, just down the street from where the Westsails were built. Founder was from Maine, hence the name. Confusing as hell ever since though.

OP: Wouldn't hurt to put a post up in the "For Sale" section at the Down East Yachts owners group web site. I'd say that there are at least five or six people that peruse that group on a monthly basis, so posting it there should do the trick.

Meh, wouldn't hurt anyway.

http://downeasteryachts.com/

Faster 03-25-2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

WTH?? Who would build a boat in the southwest and call it a 'down east'??? :confused::p;)

shansen5 03-26-2014 01:37 AM

Thanks to all. I'm always impressed by the quality of the answers on this forum!

djodenda 03-26-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Well.. I think they were built in Costa Mesa, which is south and east from LA.

So, Downeast makes sense to me.

christian.hess 03-26-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shansen5 (Post 1666978)
I have a 1977 Downeast 32 sailboat here in Bellingham, Washington. I bought it for $23,000 in 2005. I've loved the boat and never wanted anything more than what this is. Circumstances now say that I should sell it. I thought I'd see if I could get opinions on what path to take in doing so.

I've put a new Yanmar engine in it in 2008, just over 500 hours now. I added a Dickinson heater, put on a dodger, several other fix-ups. The sails are functional but very old and have been patched several times. A friend has the same boat, one year newer, and has been all over the south Pacific for the past 5 or so years. They are well-built boats.

I'd like to think I could get $20,000 for it. I haven't started to look around to see what boats are now selling for, though, so I don't know if that expectation is reasonable.

Do you think I should use a broker, craigslist, or what other means to sell it?

Ive always used craigslist although on boats cheaper than yours...

I have always paid attention to the market...im under the impression things are getting better again...so people can get better prices as a seller.

yachwtord is another great place you can do this and people really do search for boats on there...

a broker is great but make sure he knows your boat and boat style...sometimes brokers are worth squat if they never focus or sell boats like yours...

good luck

ps. if the market is good I see no reason you couldnt expect to get close to what you bought the boat for, especially since it has been repowered in fact you could get more...

but a 32 footer for 25k or so is steep nowadays or at least in general terms, prices in washington are on average 25-30% higher than say in the san francisco bay area...:)

cheers