SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Shannon 38 or tayana 37 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/129906-shannon-38-tayana-37-a.html)

Outbound_308 03-25-2014 05:42 PM

Shannon 38 or tayana 37

Narrowed it down to two boats. Want to be safe and able to go anywhere, also possible live aboard for a couple. Would like to hear pros and cons of these two boats from the forum. Which would you choose and why?

Don0190 03-25-2014 06:49 PM

Re: Shannon 38 or tayana 37

assuming priced about the same and you like them about the same, choose the one in better shape

bobperry 03-26-2014 11:07 AM

38:
I'm not sure you can find a Shannon and a Ty37 that are equal in upkeep and price. I think the Shannons sell form more. Of course I prefer the look of the Ty37 but I think that the overall quality of the Shannon would give it an edge. I've never sailed a Shannon so I can't compare performance. But I know just from the number of hulls built that a lot of people like the TY37. Best of luck in your quest for a new boat.

Mark1977 03-26-2014 11:28 AM

If they were in the same shape and price, I would personally pick the Tayana 37, but thats me.

Sarah Belle 06-17-2014 09:05 PM

I have purchased an old Shannon 38, and have sailed Tayana's up to 54'. I picked the Shannon because of the Sketch rig which I really like. I am getting on in years and the Sketch rig is easier for me to handle than the traditional cutter.

Then Shannon is very solid, quality craftsmanship and a good design. A bit narrow and small interior compared to new designs, but extremely kind in seas. We sailed across Lake Superior with 10'+ waves and was very stable and a good ride.

The one I bought had some cosmetic and interior issues, as the previous owner did not keep her in Bristol condition. I have been fixing, cleaning and upgrading as I go along, and am quite pleased at the condition of the inner workings being over 35 years old. The Shannon team is terrific and have provided substantial help in my quest.

I chartered a T54 for a week, and really liked the boat. Solid and good interior layout.

I would not hesitate to buy either, but I agree with the earlier comment that it comes down to which boat is better maintained. If it is a draw, I would go with Shannon because of their support.

Barquito 06-19-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

I picked the Shannon because of the Sketch rig which I really like. I am getting on in years and the Sketch rig is easier for me to handle than the traditional cutter.
What is a sketch rig? Is that short for 'sketchy'? :)

miatapaul 06-19-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barquito (Post 1942194)
What is a sketch rig? Is that short for 'sketchy'? :)

It is Shanon's name for a ketch rig, as though they invented it or something. I hate "cute trade names" that mean nothing. They offer a Scutter as well. Marketing mumbo jumbo. "Oh you may have a ketch, but it is not a sketch...." Do they offer a SSloop as well?

The Shanon is nice looking but the Tayana is a classic for a reason. There may be a reason that there were more than six times as many Tayana's made.