Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Re: J or Bene?

Interestingly J/Boats never marketed the 34c as a racer/cruiser; they were targeting the cruising market exclusively. As I recall the 34c didn't come with spinnaker gear. The cockpit design is specifically designed to facilitate singlehanding. It's unlikely that the boat has been raced. Still they are probably 20 seconds a mile faster than the Bene. If you haven't found it already go to Jboats.com, click on boats, other J/boats, and look in the cruiser section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Friends have a B First 310, they are quite happy with it having moved up from a rather spartan Martin 242.

I think what you'll find in general with the Benes is that they cram a lot of interior into their hulls - sometimes to the point of squishing everything into the ends.. leaving V berths so narrow and pointed at the foot as to be confining, and even the aft quarters may feel tight - although coming from a TBird it will seem palatial, I suppose.

The J34C won't have as many berths but what it does have will be more properly sized. Also the wood slat cockpits on the Benes will be a constant maintenance issue unless you let it go grey. The J is probably a substantially larger boat side by side.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-28-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I like the design of the J/Boats, but have serious concerns about buying a cored hull for a cruising boat. Given your two choices, I would go with the Beneteau for that reason. An even better choice in my book would be a C&C 35 Mark I or II with a solid hull, or Pearson 10M and save $30K.
Old 03-28-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Jim My C&C 35 MK III is cored above the water line. As long as the hull is dry I would not hesitate to buy a cored hull. A nice Mk III is within his budget and much roomier than its predecessors.
Old 03-28-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Joel,

I like your boat, too, faster than the Mark I and II. I thought the Js were cored throughout the hull, not just above the waterline.
Old 03-28-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
like the design of the J/Boats, but have serious concerns about buying a cored hull for a cruising boat. Given your two choices, I would go with the Beneteau for that reason. An even better choice in my book would be a C&C 35 Mark I or II with a solid hull, or Pearson 10M and save $30K.
I agree. I'd want a serious survey done on the 34c before i'd consider buying. Hull, chain plates and deck. It's a lot more boat compared to the Bene. They definitely are to totally different styles of boats. One Euro, one old school.
On the Bene; see how the "chain plates" are attached to the inner hull liner? This arrangement is a good, solid attachement that is virtually leakproof. The Bene's of this vintage tend to be drier from my exprience. All the way around. The french have a lot of experience in engineering boats, especially Beneteau. Now......if you could get past the plastic look.......

Unfortunately; given where the OP lives a C & C is most likely out of the picture. Great sailing boats. Several years back i put a 34 thru a serious blow. 12' seas at a 7 sec freq. 40kts. One of the best, wildest rides of my life. I thought i was going to lose the rudder and rig. Rock solid boat. I have a new respect for C&C's; if that had been a different boat it might not have made it.
Old 03-28-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

benesailor,

Why would a C&C be out of the picture for around here? I see MANY C&C's here in the salish sea area. A very popular boat frankly. If I were to count the number of J's vs B's vs c&c, the C&C would far out number the B's, with J's behind. There are a number of C&C 30-37' models that would fit his budget for sail frequently in local adds of ALL sorts.. Along with at times a number of both J-boats, Bene, Cal, Jeanneau, pearson etc models that would suit the OP's needs.

Marty
Old 03-28-2014

Sorry, I was under the impression that the availability wasn't as good as the Northeast. Stand corrected.
Old 03-28-2014

OP, Check out some C&C's !
Old 03-28-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

As an owner of a C&C, Beneteau (a First 30E), CS and Pearson models at one time or another, and someone who has sailed most all the vessels suggested above, I have to say a unique pleasure in my sailing life was a week chartering a J34C.

Any experience we all may have had with racing model J's has no relevance to the J cruising boat. Simply the J/34c is one mean sweet boat, period. The quality of its construction and design is a league above anything the other builders have ever done, illustrated by the vessel's price and ABS A-1 classification. Practical Sailor has a good review of the J/34c that I recommend to anyone who has the wisdom and budget to consider one. I'd describe the boat more as similar to a performance Hallberg-Rassey than the builders mentioned above (and I loved my CS36T). If you have not been on a J34c or a sister model, you do not know what you are missing.

That said, no boat is perfect and I hesitated on an opportunity to buy the J34c due to its Volvo, and someone quicker got it. Its performance focus had some limitations, such as a crowded cockpit, and its not the cruising boat for many who have differing priorities than its strengths, but if you want performance and quality, its unique IMHO. Whenever I see threads about singlehanding, I think of J34c which somewhat uniquely presents the jib and main sheets right to the helmsman's seat.
Attached Thumbnails
J or Bene?-p8260241.jpg  

Last edited by sailingfool; 03-28-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.