Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014

fishpants is on a distinguished road
Re: J or Bene?

As usual, I'm overwhelmed by the responses! Thanks to everyone for their input. Of course just when I was moving away from the J-boat idea, the last poster piqued my interest again. I have to say, the setup for shorthanded is quite appealing. I love the mainsheet positioning relative to the helm. My biggest concern (provided the boat passes inspection) is the cost of shipping a boat from coast to coast. Have to justify the cost!

I've always been fond of the look of C&Cs, and have heard great things. They are certainly on top of my list. Was considering a 30 MKII, but it was scooped up. The 35 sounds like a great boat, but moving up from 26ft, I'm even a little concerned about making the jump right up to 34, let alone 35. (not much difference, I know)

Two more questions-

1.) Regarding the J34C- provided it is in decent condition, would you consider $50K to be a decent price for this boat, and do they hold their value?

2.) Anyone have any opinions on Ericsons? There's a 34 nearby, around the same price as the J, but minus the prohibitive shipping costs.

Thanks again- you are all tremendous resources!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

On the face of it $50K for a good J34C sounds like a reasonable buy, however with today's market pressures I'm constantly amazed at how prices have dropped. (except, it often seems, for boat's I'm considering?? )

What year/model Ericson?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-28-2014

Ron,

It's a 1989 Ericison 34. I still think I prefer the J, but I really don't know anything about Ericsons. Same price as the J, a bit older, but much closer.
Old 03-28-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Those late 80s Ericsons are very nice boats, worth a visit. Ergonomically designed cockpits, really nice, and the later models have aft cabins and aft heads, IIRC. Well regarded Bruce King designs, and nice lines to boot.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 03-28-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My biggest concern (provided the boat passes inspection) is the cost of shipping a boat from coast to coast. Have to justify the cost!
Ussually you can buy a boat local and save a lot of cash that you could use elsewhere. Unless you are getting a REAL bargain i wouldn't recommend shipping. I would think that you would be able to find a great boat locally if you are willing to wait.

If your looking at Ericisons i would find someone that knows them well. I have a lot of friends that have them; and they love them. I think they are odd, IMHO.

In addition; no one has mentioned yet. Costs can escalate when you go over the 30' mark. Be prepared.
Old 03-31-2014

OK, one more question: Does anyone have any opinions on the Olson 34? Especially vs the C&C 33-2?
Old 03-31-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Not sure if that model Olson vs Olsen, may have been made in the Ericson factory. The hull etc as I recall is good etc. But the interior will not generally speaking be as nice as a C&C. The olson will also be faster, as it is lighter, part of the 70's "fast is fun" mantra of boats to come out of souther cal, such as the Santa Cruz boats, Hobie 33, Moore 24 to name a few others. The C&C will be more a cruiser per say, not plane down wind.....

To say if either ended up in my slip would be bad, I would take either, but they are different in what they are ment to do and be.

marty
Old 03-31-2014

Thanks for the reply, Marty. I was about to settle on the C&C, but saw a 1988 Olson in the same price range, and it seems to get pretty good reviews as well. Just made my decision harder! As I mentioned, I'm looking for what many cruisers are- a boat that performs well, is decent down below, and not difficult to sail short or single-handed.

Seems like either would be good...
Old 03-31-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

My swag, been wrong before etc, is the C&C will be the better SH setup. BUT< not having been on either to really look at the setup, I could very well be wrong.

REality also is, one CAN modify the sheets, both main and jib so they are easier to get to in SH mode.

Marty
Old 04-01-2014
Just another Moderator

This might have some useful info for you.

Distraction Olson 911s by Pacific Boats

For my money I'd take the Olson over the C&C33 - it's a nice boat (C&C) but on the smallish size for her length comparatively.. the Olson should outperform esp in light air, and it has a much larger/roomier cockpit.

However, even at the same price they are both worth a look - you need to get on them to get a feel for what you'd prefer.