Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By jimgo
  • 2 Post By ECS-IB30
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road
Decision to Make

Entering my second season with the boat. Unfortunately, as most of you know, this winter was too harsh and lasted too long. As a result, my maintenance list is longer rather than shorter headed into spring. I have identified about 15 projects that need to be done, most of which will cost $100-$200 to complete (IF I have the skills to do them).
The projects, plus the realization that I have less time and money than I really need to complete them, has led me to think I should make a move towards another type of boat- a trailerable sportboat.
I am sure most of you have been in this situation. Do you bite the bullet and work on all of the projects, knowing that you will lose a lot of sailing time this year? AND knowing that there won't any of that investment to recoup?
OR, do you sell the boat, and take the cash to put down on a newer boat in better condition, that you can work on AT HOME in the offseason?
The B-25, Tripp 26, and J-27s have all caught my attention. Paying for half of a year for slip rental just seems to make a lot of sense. That, and not driving an hour just to get to the job site.
Old 04-04-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Decision to Make

Those are all very different boats from the C&C 27 you have now.. and not nearly the 'cruisers' the C&C is if that's your intention.

Can see the advantage of taking the boat home - though the setup/teardown time is something that might discourage the occasional daysail - but if you plan to keep the boat in the water half the year that's not going to be such an issue.

I think decision one is do you want to sail a nimble high performance boat on weekends or is longer term cruising in the cards? Also - not sure how trailerable a J27 would be - can't remember if they have a lift keel??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2014
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

J/27 is a fixed keel... on an inland lake with a steep ramp it's possible to trailer launch (not fun, but possible). The J/27s had "some" problems with core rot (just be thorough, not impossible to fix). I believe the B25 had similar problems, plus there was some "keel wobble" in the B25.

Trailering adds another level of "fun" to the mix. Trailer maintenance is fun in itself.

Working on your own boat at home DOES have it's advantages for sure. Its the reason I was able to do a complete bottom job, and topsides last winter.

What many people miss with sailing is the balance of "fun" versus "want" versus, "work."
I tend to maximize my fun, and minimize my work. My WANT is something that is incompatible with the other 2. I mean I WANT to be ocean racing/cruising, but my time limits my ability to do that. But sailing is FUN in itself, even without the ocean, so I sail local, so I can go sailing 3-5 times a week, landlocked. Also because of this, and that I live in the snowy NE, my lake is solid for 5 months out of the year, so trailerable is also part of the equation. With that, and that there is no shore power, leaves me with a day-sailor... So if we already aren't really overnighting much, might as well be FAST!
So the balance (for now at least) is to sail local, day sail, and forgo the larger water part of my want.

B25, and J27 are similar "day sailors," that you can camp on in a pinch, but that's about what it'll feel like (tent camping). Capri 25, J/24, S2 7.9 (slighty larger inside), J/80 and such are also good to consider in that same realm. Then there are the Lindeberg 26, Evelyn 25, and Kirby 25. All of these will be substantially sportier than your C&C, most are trailerable in one way or another.

As far as fix old, then sell, versus, sell outright... well that's your call. You'll likely have a bit of a time selling whichever you do. It's not really a sellers market. I am kind of an AS-IS seller, and am upfront about whatever I see needs upgraded/fixed. In the meantime I still sail!
Old 04-04-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I guess I am just ranting. I bought the boat for weekending, but a LOT of life events have kept that from happening. Just need to buckle down and work on some projects. Its a mental block.
Old 04-04-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I'm facing the same dilemma. This winter really did a number on our boat. When we were hauled out in November, it was windy. Too windy for me to put up the tarp. The subsequent weekends it was either crazy windy or raining, so the tarp stayed off. Then December through February were bitter cold and so snowy that there was no way I could get out to put the tarp up either. So, the winter had its way with the boat. We always had some leaks, but I'm now seeing a LOT of water coming in, and it's damaging some of the wood inside. I'm realizing that I have some major work ahead of me, from rebedding just about everything to fixing the water damage. I'm looking at several weekends of work, at the very least. And that's in addition to the time I've already spent over the last 3 or 4 weekends trying to take care of some of the more routine issues. As I sat there watching a puddle build up in the cabin last weekend, I really got frustrated and questioned whether I should just cut my losses and sell her. But then I'd be boatless, and I'm not sure that that's what I want, either. And if I buy something else, there are no guarantees that I won't be back to doing the same kinds of repairs in a year or two anyway. Yeah, I could get a trailer sailor and work on her in my driveway, but I don't see us ever overnighting on board a 22', and I'd lose a lot of the other advantages that made me push up to a 31' boat (like the wheel steering, bigger cockpit, etc.). So, I decided that I may as well bite the bullet and fix her right, then enjoy her as much as life, and my family, will allow until we either decide we need something else, or that it's time to get out of sailing.
Faster, arf145, deltaten and 2 others like this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2014
Islander Yacht Fan

ECS-IB30 is on a distinguished road

To the OP -
With respect and admiration for the common problem you and I (and many of the other sailnetter's I think) share, here is a solution I have used successfully in the past that serves multiple purposes. We are all aware that some times the scope of work to be completed on a boat (or any other project) when viewed in it entirety can be daunting, so I decided to break my work down into manageable bites. I did this by planning the work into 1hr pieces. The goal here was to have a task I could complete (with clean-up) in 1 hour. Once I had my list, I then determined what items I needed to buy for each piece, what tools I might need, etc.
OK so this really seems like micro managing the work, but I was having trouble finding 4-5 hour chunks to do projects in, and that was frustrating me as well. By taking work in 1 hr chunks, I was able to zip out to the boat, accomplish (and finish) something useful, see progress, and check it off the list. Since my job requires me to be away from home 13 hr a day, this was important not only for getting the work done, but also for my psyche!
Understand that sometimes the only task accomplished was to take measurements, and make a pattern - but finishing this allowed me to zip out the next night and layout the piece, cut to rough shape and maybe rough fit it in the boat - by the third night I was ready for a final fit and could epoxy the piece in place and be done -
I used this process to completely re-wire, re-plumb, re-power, clean and upfit my 30' Islander Bahama over the period of 6-8 months - some of it while the boat was in the slip. I assure you it can be done - and seeing progress will give you additional motivation - remember eating an elephant is not difficult if you start one bite at a time (A1 steak sauce helps too!) Feel free to PM me if you need more details
arf145 and deltaten like this.
Old 04-05-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I have a three ring binder with tabs separating documents from my trip logs, to routine maintenance, winterizing tasks and the naturally reoccurring.... repairs.

The repair list is never empty. In fact, its never below 15 items and will reach to an entire page......with 2 columns!!

Boat maintenance is just part of the deal. All boats are the same! You have to get good at finding balance between fixing and sailing. The only repairs that should keep you at the dock are safety items. In some cases, I will pay others to repair them during the week, so I don't lose sailing time. You just have to sail a little then fix a little. Repair days present themselves with poor weather, seas or wind.

Just keeping good track of these tasks in my binder, makes me feel in control of them. We dedicate about three weekends at the beginning of each season to maintenance and repairs. This is weekend number 2. Then we enjoy and deal with it.

I am certain that if one ever gets to a finished boat repair list, we should all brace for Armageddon, the end of all time.
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.