Macgregor 25 or Ranger 26 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-14-2014 Thread Starter

Macgregor 25 or Ranger 26

Hello all this is my first thread. I just joined sailnet, but I have been snooping around getting advise while I have been looking to buy a sailboat. I was all ready to buy a Ranger 26, when I saw a Macgregor 25. The Ranger 26 did not have a trailer and finding out what kind of trailer it needs has proved to be difficult. Basically, I want a sailboat that I can tow as I have space at home to keep it and no money to pay for a slip. The Macgregor comes with a trailer so that makes it easy from the get go. From what I have read it seems that the Ranger 26 is the better boat, but I just wanted to get some help and input from those that have more experience than I do. Thanks, all suggestions are welcomed and if you know of other sailboats that you think would be better suited for me and my family (basically just want a weekender boat to sail the channel islands with) I'm all ears!. thanks again.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-14-2014
grumpy old man

Re: Macgregor 25 or Ranger 26

I'd say the Ranger 26 has it all over the Mac. Te Ranger is a superb Gary Mull design that is still winning PHRF races in the PNW. It's a very good looking boat and strongly built.

I have a friend who owned 2 Ranger 26's. He is a very experienced racer and he loves the 26.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
post #3 of 26 Old 04-14-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks I agree with you. You wouldn't happen to know what kind of trailer I would need to trailer it? the current owner has no idea. I've looked online, but with my inexperience I have not really found a answer. thanks.
post #4 of 26 Old 04-14-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

A Ranger 26 has a pretty deep fin keel, displaces almost 6000 lbs, and has a beam a tad over 8.5 feet. Trailering such a boat is possible, but you're gonna' need a pretty hefty tow vehicle, a custom-made trailer, and (technically) even a wide-load permit. Chances are that you'll also need to launch it with a hoist, rather than at a ramp. On the other hand, as Bob indicated, the Ranger will sail circles around the Mac.

Here's a pic of one on a trailer that I found on the Net:

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." --- E.B. White

Last edited by Puddin'_Tain; 04-14-2014 at 07:41 PM.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-14-2014 Thread Starter

Thank you so much! The trailering information was so helpful. But now it seems as thought trailering it is not a real viable option, which is somthing else to consider. However, I agree that it will be the better boat on the water by far! I love that boat. Thanks again.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-14-2014

I used to own a Catalina 25 and trailered it a few times but it is not an easy task to put the mast up and down so I ended up keeping it in the water. Steping the mast was more than I could do myself. The boat I traded in for my C-25 was a Catalina 22 which I kept on a trailer. It was a great weekend boat. Set up and take down was about a 40 minute ordeal but stepping the mast I could handle myself with the cheep cradle I made to hold the mast in. I do not know about Macgregers now but when I was buying my Catalina's in the 70's and 80's the Macgregers were cheaper in cost and construction so I stayed away from them. Used Catalina's are plentiful, the company still supports the old boats with parts, and there is an active owners association for them.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-15-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks FindRichard!;

It's funny because I originally wanted a Catalina 25. I heard nothing but, great things about them. Then when I looked into things I started to hear negative things about them. Course I totally ignored Macgregors because of what I had heard about them, then I saw a lot for sail and heard good things about them. Bottom line is I will continue to look at everything that comes up until something looks right, feels right, or I guess whenever i just open the wallet and take the plunge. I just don't want to jump in too fast and get myself into a nightmare. Thats one of the reason I love this site because there is so much information on sailboats and what to look for. Plus the added knowledge and different perspectives helps out even more! Thanks again and I'll keep posting and updating!
sailingfool likes this.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-15-2014

Hi Learningtosail
I can only comment on the Macgregor 25, as that is what I have. To start with she is easy to trailer, even when she is loaded with what you need for the day or weekend you are probably looking at about 3500lbs including trailer, a van with a v6 will pull it with no problem, though saying that I would put a tranny cooler on it if towing it for any distance. Set up is not difficult a mast raising system would definitely help here though. Launching again is not difficult, I have the rudder and motor (8hp) attached and she floats off the trailer quite easy, just remember to have both a stern and bow line attached.
From my own point of view I like my Mac, she is quite forgiving and she sails quite well. I enjoy going out for the day or overnight with my wife we have a lot of fun and most of all time together.
There is also a Mac web site just do a search, those guys are great with lots of help and advise. Good luck with your decision and let us know how you made out.
Anthony
post #9 of 26 Old 04-15-2014
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

The Ranger is the superior sailing vessel in this lineup, but given the OP's financial limitations and desire to trailer the boat, I recommend a Catalina 22 or the Mac 25.

I'm no fan of the Mac 25 personally, but it definitely fills a need, and the OP is a classic example of that need. A Catalina 25 will be much harder to tow and launch than the M-25.

Often what ends up happening, is the M-25 owner will discover the joys of sailing, and upgrade to a better sailboat later when their life circumstances can support it.

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
post #10 of 26 Old 04-15-2014
Load Bearing Member

Dock

I love my Catalina 25, but it is clearly a boat that can be trailered and not a trailer-sailer. Many have swing keels that make launch and retrieve much easier and it is still not easy.

I think the OP should look for a Catalina 22 with a swing keel, or maybe a wing keel if there is a deep draft ramp close by.

The MacGregors I've seen have been very cheaply built.

Ken

Zen Again

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.