Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006

bigsarg1 is on a distinguished road
Nauticat pilothouse 33

I understand these boats have NO core materials. Is this true, is this better than having balsa wood as a core? Also, does this boat have an external keel? Ant information on these boats would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Guess I must be the only one here with a NC33. You're correct about Nauticats having no cored materials, below or above the waterline. The FRP on all true Nauticats from the early 70's, right up to today, is of solid fiberglass. The greatest advantages of solid glass over balsa, or synthetic cored hulls, are hull strength, resistance to impact damage, and water resistance. The diasadvantage over boats with cored hulls, is increased weight. My 33 displaces 18,000 lbs, but is built extremely tough. In fact, Nauticat Yachts has the undisputed reputation as builder of "the world's best-built motorsailers."

Once a balsa cored hull's thin skin is ruptured, whether on the inside or exterior face, water will migrate to the inner core & rot the core material, leading to a spongey and unsound structure. There are no such worries on these wonderful boats. My NC33 has solid teak planked decking, screwed & bunged over a solid glass substrate. Since the deck screws don't penetrate through the 5/8" thick fiberglass, if the bungs are ever compromised, or screws loosen, cabin leaks typically would not occur.

Keel designs do vary with production year. But most keels have a fiberglass encapsulated ballast, including mine, which was produced with the tall rig, modified fin keel and skeg-hung rudder option. Nauticats have always been built by the same boat builders in Finland. To learn more you could visit the Nauticat Yachts website - http://www.nauticat.fi/ , click on Yachts, then Traditional Motorsailers, and Nauticat 331, for a description of the current 33 ft model . These new models have undergone several design modifications, but still retain the similar lines and overall concept as the originals. I have posted some photos of True Blue in the gallery section, if interested. Feel free to ask more specific questions.

Steve

Last edited by TrueBlue; 04-10-2006 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-10-2006

Nc33

Thank you for the information. I am thinking of a pilothouse 33. I like the no cored hulls. Sounda like a tank And, thats a good thing). Does the boats sail well? What are some areas that I should really look at before I make an offer, and get a survey done, that would be a deal breaker?
Old 04-10-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
The concept of a motorsailer is to take the fullest advantage of apparent wind, when there is no wind. With my boat having the tall rig/fin keel option, and with the Lehman SuperTurbo 90 hp diesel iron genoa - under full sail, I can motorsail at a very low engine rpm (1800 rpm) and vastly exceed hull speed @ 8.5 to 9 knots. My boat's motoring range is 700-800 nm, increases while motorsailing & of course, unlimited under sail only.

These boats do not sail well in under 10 knots of wind. However, I've easily reached 6.5 knots in only a 15 knot, broad reach, with sails only. Since this upcoming season is only my second with this boat, we haven't had much opportunity to reach maximum potential. The learning curve is short with Nauticat 33s - ketch rigged. They're easy boats to handle (and single hand) due to the relatively small sails, although . . . the genoa 150 is quite large on my boat. There is a total of 670 +- sf of sail area, more with the staysail hanked on the inner forestay.

As with all sailboats, achieved speed under sail is relative to the skills of the helmsman & crew. The full, shoal draft keel, short mast versions of NC33s however, from what I have heard, sail slower & point poorly. I personally, have not experienced these problems and would recommend that you test sail a tall rig model, if you can find one.

Best of luck in your search.

Steve
Old 04-13-2006

looks great

I looked at your boat in the galleries. It is the same type boat that I will be looking at. Is there anything that I should pay close attention to when I first look at the boat (preservey) and any other information will be helpful. The one I am looking at is a 1986 33 ketch. Asking $92900. Books at: Resale value is estimated to be $75,172.00.
Old 04-13-2006
Señor Member

That "book" value is low, if the 1986 model you are looking at is well equipped and in good condition. Your broker may be able to share actual contract prices of NC33s, sold within the past 2 years. That is the best barometer of market value. I won't share what my actual costs were for my 1986 NC33, hull #971, in a public forum, but could share some potential problem items with you and a pdf copy of a great review article by emailing me, or sending a PM.

Steve
Old 04-14-2006

Thanks for all the help

Thanks for all the help, You can email me at: henry.bartlett@us.army.mil
Old 04-16-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
That "book" value is low, if the 1986 model you are looking at is well equipped and in good condition. Your broker may be able to share actual contract prices of NC33s, sold within the past 2 years. That is the best barometer of market value. I won't share what my actual costs were for my 1986 NC33, hull #971, in a public forum, but could share some potential problem items with you and a pdf copy of a great review article by emailing me, or sending a PM.

Steve
I did note that you sold the nauticat. We are looking at one and I was wondering if you would be so kind as to share what you know. I have read this thread in detail.

Thank you.

black.jenner@gmail.com

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Black Jenner,

christyleigh is another Nauticat 33 owner that is more active on Sailnet than TB (since he sold the boat). I suggest that you PM him to ask the questions that you want to ask.
Old 04-16-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Black Jenner,

christyleigh is another Nauticat 33 owner that is more active on Sailnet than TB (since he sold the boat). I suggest that you PM him to ask the questions that you want to ask.
thank you.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.