Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2014

creelclmsn is on a distinguished road
Bought the first sailboat!!

Well I pulled the trigger!!! I got my very first sailboat... It is a 1978 Macgregor Venture 21. The boat was well taken care of, the gentleman I purchased it from was only the second owner. The boat has new rigging and sails as of last season and had new bottom paint and keel winch this winter! The trail has some surface rust on it but has been serviced regularly. It is my very first boat I have owned personally and I cant wait to get out on the water. I was between the Catalina 22 and the Macgregor 25 for the longest time. But when I saw this boat come up for sail I thought it would be a perfect option without breaking the bank to make sure this is what my wife and I want to do with our spare time. Every Catalina I looked at in my price range would need either new sails or rigging and new paint, the Macgregor 25 as nice as it would have been to have the extra space I would not be able to fit it in the garage. When I went and saw this Venture 21 I thought it was perfect, 2 owners well maintained, a nice start!!! Anyways you guys have been very helpful in all your opinions on the Macgregor 25 and the Catalina 22, But I never asked you about the Venture 21... Give me your opinions, Lake Norman sailing mostly maybe up and down the ICW in the summer. this is my starter boat and if we fall head over heels in love with sailing I'm sure we will upgrade. But until then I think this is the perfect fit for us and only for $1200.00, Please let me know what you guys think and your experiences with a Venture 21. Ill post pics later!!!!!!!!! Thank you again for all your support and advice.
DRFerron, emcentar, Rhys05 and 2 others like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2014

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: Bought the first sailboat!!

Does she still have those blocks of Styrofoam flotation under the cockpit?
Old 05-22-2014

I don't know, I will have to look when I get home, If it does should I take them out? If it doesn't should I get some to go in it?
Old 05-22-2014

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Don't take them out, they are there to keep the boat from sinking should you heel her too far and take on water.
Old 05-22-2014

I will need 4 Stanchions and a life line as it was removed for new paint and they did not want to put it back up. Do you know of a place to buy a good used set of Stanchions?
Old 05-22-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Congratulations! My first boat was a Venture 2-22. Google Earth still shows it in my driveway. It was a great boat to begin my sailing education on.

I removed the Styrofoam that was moldy and gross. Left the rest. First thing I did was take everything out and give the cabin a good cleaning from bow to stern. Then I had a marina glass up the head discharge hole.

It was good to me. I ended up giving it away when we bought the next one. I hope you have an equally good experience with yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-22-2014
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

The Venture will be fine for Lake Norman! Seen lots of Lake Norman posts lately that's a good thing.

Great first boat, responsive, light, and stable. Maybe you'll fall in love and want to upgrade... mabye not... nothing wrong there either.

Good luck!

PS: New sails always makes for a sweet deal on a new boat.
Old 05-22-2014

jwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creelclmsn View Post
I will need 4 Stanchions and a life line as it was removed for new paint and they did not want to put it back up. Do you know of a place to buy a good used set of Stanchions?
You probably don't need life lines and therefore you probably don't want them. On a boat that size, they get in the way and are just marginally effective. If you are sailing on a lake, you are not subject to rolly seas.

Stanchions can cause maintenance headaches if not installed correctly and even if correctly done, they will be another regular maintenance item.

My philosophy is to reduce maintenance to a minimum; a primary strategy toward that end is to eliminate gear/systems that are unnecessary and do not add pleasure.
Old 05-22-2014

Thanks for the information, you don't feel the stanchions would provide the comfort people want moving toward the bow of the boat? Also does anyone know how many people you can take out for a day sail trip? I would think more than 4 would be uncomfortable
Old 05-22-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creelclmsn View Post
Thanks for the information, you don't feel the stanchions would provide the comfort people want moving toward the bow of the boat? Also does anyone know how many people you can take out for a day sail trip? I would think more than 4 would be uncomfortable
Mine didn't have lifelines. We didn't take the boat that size out in conditions that made them necessary for going forward. I was the anchor and jib handler. I used the shrouds for balance when I felt the need.

The manual for the 2-22 said it slept five persons. That wasn't happening. Three for a daysail. Maybe. The boat was cramped with the two of us on weekends but we're tall and leggy. YMMV depending on your size.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne