Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006

onojmai is on a distinguished road
Good Maine Coastal Daysailer

investigating a good daysailer for Downeast Maine (schoodic area) would probably be moored in harbor during summer. want something to knockabout in- around 22ft- comfy for up to 5 adults for a short cruise. would want auxiliary power and basic electronics. already have a 35ft Cal- it would not be for overnighting.

criteria:
simple singlehander
low maintainence
reliable
budget would be around $12k max.
seaworthy/safe
nice sailing characteristics for cruising

not really interested in a j-22 or 24. something a bit less race-y and more classic cruiser.

was thinking about an ensign- but i don't like the idea of full keel. any more modern, affordable classics out there?

thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A Drascombe lugger or WestWight Potter are two good possible options. Another is a Herreshoff 12.5 style Doughdish, or the slightly larger Stuart Knockabout. All four of these might be a bit tight with FIVE people though.
Old 04-11-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
While anything in that size range is going to be a squeeze for 5 adults, another model you might look for is the Ontario Yachts-built Viking 22. Pretty boat, long cockpit and tiny cuddy cabin forward with, if memory serves, an easily handled frac rig.
Old 04-11-2006

i like the looks of that stuart knockabout- incredibly beautiful- too bad they're so pricey (yachtworld has one listed for $67,000- almost new though) although, i would be interested in the plans for that boat (if availible) to possibly build someday- want to go to boat building school up in maine in a couple summers. dreamin'....

anyway, i want a sloop for sure- an easy singlehander- and that ontraio viking looks really fitting- 22ft large cockpit daysailer with a small cuddy cabin (place for kids to go)- exactly what i'm looking for. the website i found says they go for $4-7k usually- which is nice (would want a good solid hull/rigging- would do the cosmetic stuff myself)
goat any links to these for sale?
anyone have any other suggestions for boats to look at?
Old 04-11-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Viking 22

Found this: http://www.bayharbouryachts.on.ca/22133.htm

Not sure how current it is. These boats are a bit rare, but most likely to be found on the Great Lakes or east coast. We owned a Viking 28 for 10 years, well built well behaved boat, solid glass hull, typical cored deck etc. I think the 22 is a pretty little thing.
Old 04-11-2006

well, i really am searching around- also eyeing a sonar or a colgate 26 (an idea- not really that interested)

i like the sonar's HUGE cockpit, and tiny cuddy. i'm wondering if these boats are good for cruising the bays of downeast maine, and sometimes out in unprotected areas- ya know what maine's like...
i dunno- i want something that sails well, and is comfy all day in heavier seas w/good motion- it is maine- i want to be secure...

Last edited by onojmai; 04-12-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-12-2006

Jack Tar is on a distinguished road
I don't know if you like wood or not but how about going to Brooklyn to see if Woodenboat School has anything for sale. Also the Landing school sells new builds and restorations. - Brian
Old 04-12-2006
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
McGregor 26, the best!
Old 04-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sonars and Solings are both great boats...but may not be quite as stable as you'd like for what you're doing. These two models are geared more for racing than cruising... and Maine's weather can be pretty mercurial and fierce.
Old 04-12-2006

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by onojmai
well, i really am searching around- also eyeing a sonar or a colgate 26 (an idea- not really that interested)

i like the sonar's HUGE cockpit, and tiny cuddy. i'm wondering if these boats are good for cruising the bays of downeast maine, and sometimes out in unprotected areas- ya know what maine's like...
i dunno- i want something that sails well, and is comfy all day in heavier seas w/good motion- it is maine- i want to be secure...
Interesting that you're not really interested in a Colgate 26. I owned one for 5 years and it was a nice boat. Definately over $12k. But if you want a secure boat with a huge cockpit (bigger than a Sonar) then its the boat for you. I sail on Lake Michigan, and we get some good winds and big waves. The Colgate handles these conditions well. Also, the boat is unsinkable (not like the Titanic--really unsinkable). It also has a solid fiberglass hull with foam core deck. All Harkin hardware. Its also a nice looking boat. What is there not to like? Rob