Mirage 29? Could this be the ticket? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 05-24-2014 Thread Starter

Mirage 29? Could this be the ticket?

I have been tossing around diffrent model boats for months. All between the lengths of 27' to 36'. Price range and condition of boats has fluxuated drasticly just because i am being cheap.

I found a Mirage 29. Its been on the hard for 3 years which makes me real nervous. The boat seems to have an excellent rep but there is next to no information out there for her. Its right here on the lake I want to sail with an excellent interior. Teak needs work and all the running rigging will need to be replaced.

There asking 15,700 for the boat which would be a good price if i could just drop her in the water and sail but it needs alot of tlc.

suggestions comments advice??

Also if anyone has links to where i can get a rigging kit made for a good price that would be steller
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 05-24-2014

Re: Mirage 29? Could this be the ticket?

You should post some pictures, but I would start at $10k or less. there are 3 Catalina 30's on my lake, in the water and ready to sail, for less than $11,000..

Does the motor run, bottom paint, sail condition, never mind the running rigging, line is cheap compared to all the other stuff. Never mind a complete shake-down of the wiring, lights etc...

The cheap part is the boat, all the other stuff is the make or break part...

1988 C22 Owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 65 Old 05-24-2014

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...67720277,d.b2U

Last edited by sony2000; 05-24-2014 at 07:16 PM.
post #4 of 65 Old 05-24-2014
Senior Moment Member

The Mirage 29 is a good boat - good looking and a very nice Euro layout. In my experience they fetch a good price - I've never seen one under $20K. One sold quickly near me last year at a $37K ask

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #5 of 65 Old 05-25-2014

This link provides a nice overview. Do note the asking price values in this link are likely Canadian Dollars. Right now Canadian dollars and US dollars are close, I think. But, something worth $40k Canadian right now is probably in the neighborhood of $35k US.

I've sailed on a Mirage 29. Great boat for a few day trip with up to 4 who are close friends.
post #6 of 65 Old 05-25-2014 Thread Starter

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ugharborboats&

Heres a link to the boat in question. I have actually seen the link provided in a desperate search I conducted looking for more info. As far as specs go sailingdata.com had some insightful info but unlike the Cat 30 and some other boats they have there own fan club and data rich resource pages. If i get this boat im going to have to start something like that unless someone knows of one i am unaware of. Any info you observe from the link would be great. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 65 Old 05-25-2014
Just another Moderator

The Sailquest market value numbers are several years old and seriously out of date Canadian dollar values.. however under $20K seems a bargain or an indicator of issues, as SJB mentioned.

One thing to watch for with 30-ish foot 'euro' layouts. Often the layout is something that would fit well into a 35 footer, essentially 'scrunched down' to fit into 30 feet. This leaves V berths pushed so far forward there's little room for a couple of toes, never mind two pairs of feet at the foot, and similarly the 'aft cabins' can end up being confining and claustrophobic. I think this is a layout you really need to see firsthand.

The Beneteau 30/30Es were similarly afflicted - nice looking, good sailing boats but interiors that were smaller than they appear on paper.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #8 of 65 Old 05-28-2014
arrgh!

Dock

I guess what is being laid out here... in a way... is how much do you want to pay total...?

If you are willing to purchase at say $13,027... are you also willing to put in another $2,999 for upgrades and repairs...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
post #9 of 65 Old 05-28-2014 Thread Starter

Exactly, so the guy i am working with seems to be a reasonable person. The boat has been on the hard for three years and the current owners inherited the boat from their parents.

I went and visited the boat today and took over 100 photos. She looks slot worse now thst she did ehen those pics were taken, but it is mostly cosmetic. Luckily the mast has been kept inside all this time and the ibterior is still in very good condition. There is definatly a few leaks, the main one i noticed was at the mast base. There is a very large amount of extra goodies coming with the boat as well.

Most of the blocks pulleys etc on the deck needs to be replaced. The years of neglect have done slot of damage and they are starting to come spart.
Estimated cost for a bottom job is 1500 which has to be done.

Launch and re commissioning is another 1500.

A ballpark figure for replacing deck hardware other minor cosmetics and necessary sheet/line/rope replacement is estimated at 1000.

Total investment after purchase approximately 4000.

These costs could be lower and im calling tomorrow to get some actusl numbers.

Of course a survey is a must as it may lower the price even further. 15/ ft at 29 feet = appx 430 but could save me thousands.

post #10 of 65 Old 05-28-2014 Thread Starter

Im probably going to offer them 10 and list these expenses and the boats deteriating condition. Try and explain that the longer it sits the less people are going to wsnt to pay and hope for a sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.