SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Skipping CA tax ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/142434-skipping-ca-tax.html)

thevdeub 05-25-2014 02:51 AM

Skipping CA tax ?

Hey,
I live in HI and planning to buy a boat in CA in June.
Only issue, I don think I can't get the boat ready to leave right away.
in HI, there is no sale taxes on used boat. In CA, it is certainly close to 10%.
Anyway I can register my boat in HI, keep the boat until next Summer (full year) in CA and sail it - when ready - at that point ?

Is it really illegal ?

Thanks,
Olivier

aeventyr60 05-25-2014 08:45 AM

Re: Skipping CA tax ?

Probably not legal. Think the term or solution maybe the 90 day yacht club in Ensenada.

Rhapsody-NS27 05-25-2014 09:22 AM

You not only need to be concerned about sales tax, but CA also has a Use tax. If keeping your boat in CA after the sale, you may be subject to both.

MikeGuyver 05-25-2014 11:15 AM

Or bring it to Oregon, we don't impound boats or rape the owners.

thevdeub 05-25-2014 02:08 PM

I guess the easiest would be to buy the boat officially in HI.
I just need to find a way to cover 2 months of preparation in CA.
I work mostly remote from HI for a company in LA. The only practical way for me to prepare the boat and the trip is to berth in Marina Del Rey.
Maybe if I offer to the owner a security equivalent to the value of the boat ?
Any other ideas ?

thevdeub 05-25-2014 02:44 PM

Actually a offshore deliver seems legal and possible for me as I am not CA resident.
California Offshore Delivery Law Firm - The Law Office of Weil & Associates - Lawyer - Law Firm - Attorney

"For non-residents, where the buyer keeps the boat in California for more than six months during the first one year after the purchase"

Which would not be my case.
Opinions ?

overbored 05-25-2014 09:41 PM

in California you can either register with the DVM or document the boat. If you register it then the DMV will collect the use tax at that time. If documented then the state sends you a bill for the use tax about 6 months after the sale for any boat documented with a California address

christian.hess 05-25-2014 10:49 PM

buy the boat, go to dmv....bill of sale for less than its worth and you get your pink slip in the mail...

simple

Rhapsody-NS27 05-25-2014 10:58 PM

I was sent a Use tax bill for having a CA hailing port on my boat. Just had to send proof the boat was located outside of CA. Haven't heard anything since.

MarkSF 05-25-2014 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 (Post 1870370)
You not only need to be concerned about sales tax, but CA also has a Use tax. If keeping your boat in CA after the sale, you may be subject to both.

Use tax IS sales tax. You don't pay both. It's called sales tax on some items, like TVs, and use tax on items like boats. It's a matter of nomenclature, that's all.