Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2014

argalax is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Boat sale and SELLER finance issues?

We have made an offer for a boat, conditional to a satisfactory survey, sea trial and ... SELLER being able to secure a bridge loan.

At a time we were assured that it's a just a matter of seller going to the bank and settling the outstanding loan (and lien) on the boat, sighting pending sale and its proceeds coming to cover the loan.

We understood later that the proceeds of the sale will not be sufficient for the seller to cover the outstanding loan and he needs to arrange a bridge loan for the boat sale to succeed.

Edit: To clarify - as a buyer, our finances are not the issue here. It's the seller who needs to arrange the bridge loan to settle his finances and remove the lien on the boat.

It has been more than a week and seller is still working on his finances. We are running out of time to have the survey arranged before the acceptance date, and we are very reluctant to commit survey expenses until seller's finances are not settled.

We would not expect the SELLER's finances could become an issue when buying a boat.

My concern is that what if seller, due to his personal financial situation, will not be able to arrange a bridge loan (on time) and sale will fall though. We would have wasted time, travel and work arrangements, costs of boat survey + sea trial, and would have to start our search again.

Did anyone have experience like this? How it turned out?
What are my options and next steps should be?
Any insight will be appreciated.

Last edited by argalax; 05-29-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat sale and SELLER finance issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by argalax View Post
...we are very reluctant to commit survey expenses until seller's finances are not settled.
As well you should be!

I know that you are reluctant to let this deal go, but how much more reluctant are you going to be if you put in even more time and money, only to have the deal fall apart? I would start looking for other boats while you wait to see what happens here. What I would absolutely NOT do is spend another single penny on this deal, until the seller works out his financial issues.

Good luck to you.
Tempest and christian.hess like this.
Old 05-29-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

bingo

I bought a boat once like this...I was young, owner financed with half down...but the boat was his and paid for and well taken care of...

he liked me and I liked him and the rest was history...

now fast forward to my current boat...its another story and one that irks me but the boat is in my name and paid for in full...

the issue was the seller before me failed to pay the previous owner in full when he had it...and they have been battling for a while now...its not my fault in any sense but I feel bad for the previous previous owner...

I would not under any circumstance spend one dime in your scenario...from experience you are in essence paying off someone elses debt with no safety factor for you...

a sea trial amd time wasted is the least of your worries....easy to forget about...something else will pop up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Last edited by christian.hess; 05-29-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-29-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by argalax View Post

Did anyone have experience like this? How it turned out?
What are my options and next steps should be?
Any insight will be appreciated.
You should consult with a Canadian lawyer in your province concerning your legal rights under your written contract. You did use a written contract, right?

Consider this a blessing, to allow you to reconsider the wisdom of financing a boat purchase.

You should only finance property that appreciates, such as real estate, or that which you need, such as a vehicle for commuting, if you are not able to pay cash. You should not finance depreciating. luxury items, such as a boat, unless it will be your residence.

Pay cash from your savings, after you satisfy all your necessities. If you cannot afford to buy the boat you want, save more money for it, or adjust your wants.

Boats are not investments, they are unnecessary, ongoing, entertainment/recreational expenses.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 05-29-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2014

james man while I agree with you on a lot of stuff, what wrong with buying a boat in payments?

the same can be said for buying a new car with payments, utter nonsens as it depreciates by 40 percent once it turns around the block

but its done all the time right?

Im having a hard time understanding why this is so far out there...

regarding the OPīs scenario of course he should stop right now and cut his losses or wait untill the seller has his crap together

I agree on that for sure

Im also having a hard time why even the simplest things need to be run by a lawyer

Old 05-29-2014

jameswilson29,

You misunderstood: As a buyer, our finances are not the issue here. It's the seller of the boat who has financial issues.
Also, the boat is in US and being purchased through a registered broker.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-29-2014

op I missuenderstood too...I thought you wanted owner financing and the seller needs financing in order to be able to sell the boat

in any case I would not spend a dime...unless for example the loan the seller needs to be able to sell the boat is deduced from what you want to offer on the boat

meaning the seller would probably not want to do this since that chunk of change would be deduced instantly...and not financed from the bank per se

good luck

Old 05-29-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
james man while I agree with you on a lot of stuff, what wrong with buying a boat in payments?

the same can be said for buying a new car with payments, utter nonsens as it depreciates by 40 percent once it turns around the block

Im also having a hard time why even the simplest things need to be run by a lawyer
Cars are usually necessary, boats are usually not. There is a big difference between buying a necessity and buying a luxury item.

When someone posts a question that requires a legal answer, they should be referred to an attorney. His question concerns contractual rights and remedies. Only a Canadian lawyer is qualified to answer his specific question about his recourse under the contract.
Old 05-29-2014

a new car is not a necessity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nor is a used boat a luxury item...
vikingthunder likes this.

Old 05-29-2014

PLEASE stay on subject!