Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014

appick is on a distinguished road
Re: First boat advice - Mpls to Great Lakes

I got curious and looked them up for sale. There is an inboard Oday 25 for sale in Green Bay, [I]asking price[I]is $6850. As I'm sure you know never, ever pay asking price when buying a boat This one actually looks like a pretty good buy if it's what you're looking for. 1980 O'Day sailboat sailboat for sale in Wisconsin not sure if I'm supposed to post links or not but the mods will let me know if I've done wrong.

Otherwise I have a Columbia 29 for sale I can let you have for pretty close to that price lol. You'd have to find a trailer though as it comes with a cradle...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2014

jBlaze3000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
I got curious and looked them up for sale. There is an inboard Oday 25 for sale in Green Bay, [I]asking price[I]is $6850. As I'm sure you know never, ever pay asking price when buying a boat This one actually looks like a pretty good buy if it's what you're looking for. 1980 O'Day sailboat sailboat for sale in Wisconsin not sure if I'm supposed to post links or not but the mods will let me know if I've done wrong.

Otherwise I have a Columbia 29 for sale I can let you have for pretty close to that price lol. You'd have to find a trailer though as it comes with a cradle...
I've already talked myself up from a 20 footer to a 22-23 foot boat, and now you're telling me to go with the 25? At this rate, if you see a cruise ship on Lake Michigan this summer it's probably just me with my new boat...

Seriously though, I'd love a boat like that O'day 25. I think that a 4000# boat plus a family of 5 would be pushing it though on a 350 mile one way trip (my towing capacity is listed at around 5000#). Also, I don't have a slip yet. Was just going to trailer it but with a 25 footer I'd definitely be looking at a place to dock it.

Hey Minnesail, what's a avg price for a 25' slip and winter storage up in Duluth?

Now you got me thinking about a bigger boat and a bigger truck...
Old 06-03-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

You could probably buy a nice small boat for day sailing - and rent a nice big one for the one or two weeks you would cruise. Cheaper and easier.
appick likes this.
jBlaze3000 (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014

appick is on a distinguished road

Muahahahah! Exxccellent!...

I just know that for me starting with a 22 was fun but I'd have been ALOT more comfortable with the 25. That was also just me and occasionally a girlfriend, or friend. Not a wife and 3 kiddos! I think (and its only my opinion) going with a 25 you'll be happier and more comfortable. The kids won't mind being cramped up but if the Mrs is she will not exactly rejoice at the thought of a long weekend on the boat. Keeping my wife interested in sailing is my TOP priority. If I can do anything to make it more comfortable, fun, enjoyable for her, that project moves to the top of the list. Often over things like a nice manual windlass or a waterproof Ipad case ect. She is my other half and if I can make it enjoyable she may grow to love it as much as I do.

As to the weather... I've gotten us caught out in 10ft waves and 50-60knts of wind... long story. That does tie into the weather forecasting though. They were calling for 20-25 gusts to 30 and 3-5ft waves. Turned into double that about 4-5hrs after setting out. Read some books on weather forecasting, how to read a barometer and the conditions and clouds your seeing. Use NOAA but don't trust it entirely. Just this last weekend they called for winds out of the south 10-15. Current readings at piers and bouys all coaberated this. We poked our nose out and we were lucky if there was 5knts of. Ya win some ya loose some.

Again you can see the little price difference in the boats from a 22 to a 25. The inboard will be a much more enjoyable experience to use. As well as the additional comfort for the kids you and the wife. I think it's the right call to make for only an extra 600lbs difference. The hunters are much lighter but at the sacrafice of durability of the hulls. You'll see alot more hull flexing with the thinner layup of the Hunter. In comparison the Oday have a much stronger hull lay up. It's thicker which also means heavier though. I'd check your vehicle towing capacities and compare it with what the 25 weighs. I know I towed my 22 with a 1982 Suburban I had. Those trucks were woefully underpowered then with only 130hp. We towed it at 55 no problem, so i have to believe a more modern truck with probably twice the horse power should have no problem towing 600lbs more. Sorry I'm not trying to be pushy, I just trying to help the future you! In two years you'll be going man I need a bigger boat no matter what size you start with!
Old 06-03-2014

No worries, I appreciate the advice. This is why I started the thread.

My initial thoughts were to get something smaller, and trade up if the wife and kids took to cruising. I understand your line of thinking though, there were some smaller, older boats that I looked at that I don't think my wife would step foot in. I will take a look at the 25's, and my vehicle, and give it some thought.
Old 06-03-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Overnight on the Catalina 22 for 5 people would be insane. As a daysailer, it will be okay.

I haven't done more than a late lunch and a two person drunk nap on mine. :-)

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 06-03-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
(Cue Sound of Music themes) Those are a few of my favorite things....
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 06-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Overnight on the Catalina 22 for 5 people would be insane. As a daysailer, it will be okay.

I wouldn't do 5 overnight in a boat that size. 5 on a day sail, yes. Maybe 3 overnight (including myself). My thought was to start with a 22 footer and then if the family was on board for longer trips we would trade up next year. Of course thanks to appick I am now finding myself looking at 25 footers...
Old 06-04-2014

CXsailor is on a distinguished road

for the long trips i dont think the size is as important as the way they are built
Old 06-04-2014

Evetz is on a distinguished road

I used to trailer a 25', 5.2k lb boat (figure 7K total with boat and trailer) with a 1/2 t pickup. It did have some provisions specifically for towing (eg. transmission cooler), but I was up against the towing limit. It never was a problem and I towed it across country several times. Mostly it was just to bring the boat home for the winter. Trailering any boat >20 ft has enough challenges with putting up the mast, etc. that I wouldn't want to do it more than a few times a year at most. YMMV.

You might look into L. Pepin on the Mississippi R. (Pepin WI) for a slip. I presently keep a boat there and its a nice place, with lots of folks that come down from the twin cities.
The Following User Says Thank You to Evetz For This Useful Post:
jBlaze3000 (06-04-2014)