Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dhk
  • 2 Post By SloopJonB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014

dhk is on a distinguished road
one more new b question 1st sailboat

hello all, 1st post and then off to search...
I would like to purchase my first sailboat. ive been searching the local ads and starting my viewing process.
had a look at a martin 29, and will be looking at another martin 29 tomorrow. im trying to figure out why in drawn to the martin? but cant find much info on them
also like the look of the halman 27 and a Catalina 27
any suggestions?
I would like to learn the ropes, like diesel inboard for added heat, stove and over, and head.
location for sailing would be in pnw
sorry for such a green question! but got to start somewhere.....
armandolio likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: one more new b question 1st sailboat

Martins are decent boats. I'd steer clear of any that have the original raw cooled Volvo - huge bills in your future with one of them. I've seen a number of Martins going dirt cheap recently, primarily because of that. A Yannie or other upgraded diesel is a big plus. The Martin isn't as fast as it looks - PHRF of 210.

Forget the Halman - painfully slow around here.

The Cat 27 is an old reliable. It's about the same speed as the Martin. Huge variety of conditions out there from nearly free projects to very nice boats. Probably the easiest boat to re-sell down the road. The Martin is bigger though and has that nice "California" layout with a big galley - great for local cruising.

Personally, I'd look for a Martin with a good engine.

P.S. there are some repo's on CL in Delta - a Crown 28 which is a knockoff of the Cal 2-29, also a Cal 27 and some others. Worth checking out.
Faster and benjamen like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 06-08-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The Martin will be much more of a handful downwind than most of the others mentioned, esp with a spinnaker in a breeze.

If you're drawn to the M29, try to get a look at a Ranger 28. Similar era, similar tumble home topsides but better factory finish and IMO a much more handsome boat.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-09-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Generally speaking there is value when getting a first boat to find one that is common to your area. You'll find local support and owners who will be knowledgeable and because it's not unique you may find the price is lower.
For that reason only I'd say have a look at the Catalina 27. It and the Catalina 30 are the Volkswagen beetle of the sailing world.
Old 06-09-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The Martin IS a local boat - designed & built here in Richmond by Donny Martin who has sailed as high as Americas Cup.

Actually, they were built in Coquitlam by Coopers but designed & overseen by Martin when he was foreman or production manager or chief bottle washer of some sort there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 17 Hours Ago at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2014

Holly! Is there a lot of information with regards to sailboats... So many makes models, shapes and sizes! This is gonna be a fun learning curve, thanks for the help.
Old 06-09-2014

hey faster?
so with regards to the ranger, does it have a wider stern? is this why it would be a little bit more stable on down wind?
if not using on spinnaker with the martin and taking it easy would that avoid a broach? ...
bear with me so green here and had no idea boats where made to bend rules and all that jazz. just thought that's how they where made.
Old 06-10-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't say the Ranger is more stable than the Martin.. they are both '70s IOR 'broach machines' if you push them. Avoid the spinnaker in the heavy stuff and they do fine.

The wider stern of the Ranger makes for a much more comfortable, roomier cockpit and better helm position sightlines when beating. The deck is more attractively styled (to my eye). Years ago my brother was set on a local M29 until he saw an R28 - it was game over even though at the time he paid about $8K more for the Ranger (in early 80s) Nowadays you can probably get either boat for $8K or less....

The Martin probably has an edge in layout, esp wrt the galley arrangement.

Put the two side by side and see what you think...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)