Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2001

jsutor is on a distinguished road
Morgan''''s

I am currently looking at a 25-year-old 33'' Morgan, and would appreciate any comment on the boat or manufacturer. It appears to be the boating equivalent of a 1960''s Landrover.

The 25 hp diesel is original, the head is a porta potty style with a deck pump out, rigging has been replaced and the deck fitting appear sound. No cracks were noted, and the rails and lifelines were sound. Some "chipping" on the transom is also present but filled with an epoxy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
Morgan''''s

What kind of Morgan 33 is it...an Out Island 33? I bought a 1975 Morgan Out Island 33 last year but I sold it this spring and got a different sailboat. The Out Island 33 is a very big boat. It is somewhat slow, but very comfortable. If you are going to be cruising it is a fine boat. I was predominately daysailing, and it was more boat than I needed, and I wanted something more lively. Things to look out for:
1. Leaks at the hull deck joint are common.
2. Diesel engine may need to be replaced or overhauled. Mine had a new Yanmar 18hp which pushed the boat fine.
3. Check the thru hulls--may need to be replaced--should have ball valves, not gate valves.
4. The fuel tank is typically large--I think around 50 gallons--check out how old the diesel and does the diesel need to be removed and the tank cleaned.

Join the Morgan email group here on SailNet. You can get alot of info from this very active group. Most of the owners love their OI33''s, I think mainly because they are so large, and typically you can get them at a decent price: between $20k and $30K. If it is an Out Island you are looking at and want to ask me any specific questions, feel free to email me. Also there is a Morgan Owners Group with 2 or 3 web sites devoted to OI33''s. I dont remember the web address, just search on Morgan Owner group and you should find it. Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~
Old 06-08-2001

jsutor is on a distinguished road
Morgan''''s

Hi Rob

It is a Out Island 33, and thank you for the info
Old 06-10-2001

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Morgan''''s

I believe Morgan''s, like many boats, were built in two lines of two different qualities. The Out Islander series was built for the charter trade. Generally they were built a bit cheaper and designed to be more comfortable down below. They tended to be slower and not have the stronger construction of the main line.

Morgan''s do have a very good reputation for being excellent sea boats and well built. One thing you might do to see if the boat is built to your liking is to go all the way forward in the cabin and open the access to the chain locker: see if you can tell how thick the glass is there (there will probably be no inner hull covering). Got to the lazerettes and look at the hull to deck joint. Go from there and of course have it surveyed. Any boat that old will have problems.

Assess your needs.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 06-27-2001

ern-n-jo is on a distinguished road
Morgan''''s

Hello Morgan Owners!
My wife and I are somewhat new to sailing. We took the ASA basic and coastal cruising classes. We have been sailing at the lake every chance we get on a Hunter240 we bought last year. We will be retiring in 5 yrs. and are looking for a good liveaboard (2-4 mths.out of a yr.) cruising and occasional offshore boat. We have been reading everything we can get our hands on, all classified ads., and we are seriously thinking of a Morgan 41 OI. We would
appreciate any comments and information,
likes and dislikes, and how it performs. Thank you...Ernie
Old 06-27-2001

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Morgan''''s

I believe the New England PHRF basecap is 195.

By contrast, a Catalina 30 is 180 (and I thought that was slow), Whitby 42 is 174 and a Morgan 382 is about 135. A new Beneteau 42 is around 105 or something like that.
Old 06-28-2001
JeffH

Morgan''''s

The Morgan OI series were designed to provide a lot of room down below first and for sailing ability second. They were intended for use in a region with consistent winds in the mid to high teens. This means that you will spend more time motoring than sailing if you sail in an area with lighter winds. While they make good liveaboards they are not the best choice for either coastal or long range crusing. There was also a wide range of build quality on these boats from pretty junky to moderately good. These boats are getting pretty long in the tooth and should be carefully surveyed before buying one.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2001

RobHoman is on a distinguished road
Morgan''''s

I am the liveaboard owner of a Morgan 33 OI.
The boat is very strong, stable and built to last. They are not full of "glitzy bangles" and "opulent upholstery", so if you are looking for that the Morgan OI''s are not for you.

My boat is 25 years old, have had to fix a few small leaks since I bought it, previous owner apparently was not a PM type. Thus far I have not had to do anything major except replace my air conditioning. The original unit went out...manufacurers out of business so no part available...so I installed a new Mermaid 16.5K BTU AC/Heat unit this week.

I personally beleive that the boats are more sound than others would have you believe, otherwise why would most Morgan OI''s sell for more today than they did when they were brand new? Like any seagoing boat they require work and upkeep. I have no reservations about taking my boat out in coastal waters or blue water. I frankly find her to be more stable than many other boats and handles rough seas without a problem.

If you can find a Morgan 41'' for sale, go look at it, and if you like it and bind it on a contract, make a Survey with Sea Trial and Dry Survey contingencies for the completion of the contract. I would most assuredly have the boat surveyed...not just because of its age, but just on principle. I would have a 2 year old boat surveyed as well.

Good Luck and good hunting.
Old 12-31-2006

forsailbyowner2000 is on a distinguished road
Morgan 33 OI

HI I own and liveaboard a 76 morgan 33 OI. Ive found the boat to be very stable and trustworthy offshore. The boat is very well balanced and the helm is a breeze ot tend to even without autopilot. The hydraulic steering with zero feedback has been a joy. The problematic hull to deck joint is compounded by a scarcity of limber holes so water will puddle excessivley in some of the lockers. The standing water also caused some rot on the sole. The sole is bonded directly to the hull on the outboard side , dont particularly like that part of the design as there isnt any place for water to go. The perkins 4.108 is reliable and easy to get parts for. I do canvas work aboard and the large dimensions in the setee area suit my needs perfectly. I have my machine set up on the aft end of the port setee and have ample room to handle most enclosure projects. Im thoroughly happy with this boat and plan on keeping it for the long haul. We are planning on the South pacific in 2 yrs.
Old 01-02-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Forsail--

Not sure anyone is still interested after 5.5 years since the previous post.