Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2001

pglanks is on a distinguished road
I would like to here everybodys choice for the ideal small coastal cruiser, 32 feet only. Money no object, what is the 32 foot sailboat you would buy? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2001
JeffH

Now there is a very strange question. I would normally expect to see the question phrased a little differently. This has the ring of one of those hypothetical questions that were popular in late night, dorm room discussions as a freshman in college. Obviously, a highly subjective question as well.

If ''Money were no object'' and the boat could only be a 32 footer, I would probably have Bruce Farr design a custom 32 footer that would be an updated cross between a Laser 28 and a Farr 38 (11.6) and have it built at Goetz or Lindsey (if Lindsey is still in business) or other high quality custom yard.
I would try to limit draft to 5''-6" to 6''-0" and keep the boat simple. I would do a fractional rig with masthead spinacker. I would like an all up weight of 6,000 to 7,000 lbs with approximately 2,800lbs in a bulb keel. I would want a fiberglass hull with high-density, closed-cell foam coring. I would also want a molded in longitudinal and transverse framing system.

The layout would start with an on deck anchor locker with drain over a dirty laundry bin forward, followed by Vee berth with a hatch over and large locker under, canvas cloths lockers lining hull above berths that can be taken home and packed and then brought aboard and hung in place. Behind that would be a hanging locker and a small seat for dressing. Aft of that by dinette to stbd with table converts to double berth, and a settee to port with water tank below (spare water tank under the strbd dinette berth). Followed by the head with sink with pressure water sink, large medicine and misc gear locker, toilet and shower. Across the way would be an ''ell'' shaped galley with gimbled Origo 2 bnr. stove, dry storage lockers, icebox with drain, sink w/ pressure water,and separate drink cooler. Aft of that would be a chart table and followed by a double quarterberth which can be converted to a private aft cabin. Aft of the head would be a huge locker big enough to hold two bicycles or an inflatable dinghy and then some. There should also be two cockpit accessible lockers for lines and misc. gear.

The closest boat that I can think of to that would be a Contessa 33.

32 feet is a very odd length for a boat. It does not offer much extra space over a 30 footer (a size that is much more common)and so typiclaly shares a similar layout with the 30. Nor does it have the advantages of a 34-35 footer in terms of seakindliness or accomodation. Yet 32 footers cost almost as much as a 35 footer to build (because they share a common range of hardware, engine, electronics, interior elements and the hull is a very small part of the overall cost of a boat) and so 32''s are a lot more expensive than 30 footers with which they typically share interior layouts.

Now then, why are you asking this question?
Jeff
Old 06-11-2001
JeffH

BTW- I really think that the new J-32 is not my idea of what I would buy even though it meets much of the generalities described above. If I was asked for a boat in this ''general size range'' I would suggest a Farr 1020, a Contessa 33, or J-34c(cruising)in that order.

Jeff
Old 06-11-2001
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Have we not discussed this subject in excess before? Everyone knows the best brand of of sailboat in this solar system is.........the boat theyíre sailing presently! We know this much for certain, itís not a Catalina, Hunter or Beneteau-YUK Tupperware extraordinaire!
Old 06-11-2001

mattf is on a distinguished road
True, true, very subjective. BUT, if the boat must be 32'', then I would by a Westsail 32, cutter rig, upgrade to new condition, add the toys, and go.

Any other length, I would pick something else.

Matt F
Old 06-11-2001
JeffH

I have a quick question Matt, the origianl question was looking for a coastal cruiser. Do you see the Westsail 32 as a coastal cruiser?
Respectfully
Jeff
Old 06-12-2001

mattf is on a distinguished road
Definitely not Jeff. I think the Westsail is a world cruiser. However, we were limited to 32'', and my first thought at 32'' is the Westsail. You could coastal cruise in her comfortably, and if you get ready for a big trip, she will take you there. At 18-19000 lbs, or whatever, she sure is much more than a coastal cruieser. ...I was focusing on the caveat that it must be 32'', which is why I commented that at different lengths, it would not be my first choice.

MattF
Old 07-20-2001

amrogin is on a distinguished road
IMHO the Pacific Seacraft 31 is your answer. I''ve owned one for 13 years and have never regretted it. The boat is beatifully designed. well engineered and built to take almost anything. The interior design is great and has more liveable space than a lot much larger boats.
If you can find one, look seriously.
Old 07-20-2001

amrogin is on a distinguished road
Old 11-02-2001

nrathbone is on a distinguished road
Take a big bag of money to Maine.

Drop it off at Hinckley and ask them to build you a 32'' boat.

Come back in a year.

You won''t be dissapointed!