Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By kwaltersmi

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014

GCASKEW is on a distinguished road
O'Day 35 vs Catalina 36

The O'Day has the sugar scoop at less than $40,000 but to get a walk through transom on the Cat is close to $60,000. I see these boats meeting the same needs for a couple in the Caribbean so it's a push.

Is the Catalina 36 MK 1.5 worth the $20k over the O'Day 35?

I know the Catalina has a huge user group, but is it worth that much money?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: O'Day 35 vs Catalina 36

Hey,

I'm prejudiced because I own (and am selling) and O'day 35. IMHO no, the Catalina is not worth the extra $.

The two boats are similar. Both use Universal Diesel engines. The Catalina is heavier, the O'day should sail better (better SA/D, lower PHRF number). The Catalina has bigger 'rear stateroom' the settees in the O'day are better for sleeping (the backrests move up to provide more room).

If you swim off the boat or board from a dinghy, the swim platform is very handy.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2014

GCASKEW is on a distinguished road

Good info.. i know I want at least a sugar scoop. But getting the O'Day and using that extra $20k to buy kit for the boat sounds like a good plan.
Old 06-24-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

A little counterpoint. Are you sure it is a Mk1.5? I don't recall Catalina making that one. As far as I know they went straight to the full-on sugar scoop in the C36. Douglas "experimented" with the C34, putting in a "notch" in the original transom and calling that a Mk1.5. C36s are very well regarded in Northern California and command a premium price here. I understand that this is also true in other parts of the country. The market dictates the price and it is favorably disposed to the C36 and buyers are willing to pay the price. When I run the PHRF regression analysis, the O’day is a 147 v. the Catalina at 144. Your local committees may tweak or bias the formula for your local prevailing conditions. The Cat has a 35hp engine v. 21 HP for the O’day and has much larger water tankage. It is also heavier. The rig is bigger and the draft is deeper. The larger rig consistent with the boat being a foot longer (and the waterline two feet longer). As in all boats, condition, age and features trump everything. Do you have a link to the boats in question? Wither or not you buy the Cat makes no difference to me. The market for 36’s (in Cali) is pretty hot and boats without issues usually don’t stay at the broker’s docks for more than a few weeks.
Old 06-24-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

The 2 boats don't even compare! C36 is like house compared to a cabin! and I love Odays LOL I'd go for the C36 if at all possible

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2014
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

True enough, a C36 in good condition with a scoop will be a tough find for less than $40k. I believe there are a few MkI C36's with the scoop (maybe ~1990), but most are MkII's, which makes them newer and pricier.

Also, don't forget about the C34, which had some MkI's (~1989) with a scoop, an "Mk1.5" in the early 1990's with a walk-through scoop, and the 1994+ MkII with a wider transom and bigger scoop. I've seen a couple Mk1/1.5 34's in the $40k range.

Lastly, keep in mind that the O'day 35's went out of production in 1989, so most are older boats than either the C36 or C34 with a scoop. I also think both of the Catalinas have about 6" or so more beam than the O'Day, if it matters. I've been aboard all three and the O35 feels the smallest inside.

It's hard to think resale when you're a buyer, but as you're experiencing, both of the Catalina models seem to hold their value about as well as any boat of that age.
Faster and tomandchris like this.