SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

O'Day 35 vs Catalina 36

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kwaltersmi 
#1 ·
The O'Day has the sugar scoop at less than $40,000 but to get a walk through transom on the Cat is close to $60,000. I see these boats meeting the same needs for a couple in the Caribbean so it's a push.

Is the Catalina 36 MK 1.5 worth the $20k over the O'Day 35?

I know the Catalina has a huge user group, but is it worth that much money?

#2 ·
Hey,

I'm prejudiced because I own (and am selling) and O'day 35. IMHO no, the Catalina is not worth the extra $.

The two boats are similar. Both use Universal Diesel engines. The Catalina is heavier, the O'day should sail better (better SA/D, lower PHRF number). The Catalina has bigger 'rear stateroom' the settees in the O'day are better for sleeping (the backrests move up to provide more room).

If you swim off the boat or board from a dinghy, the swim platform is very handy.

Good luck,
Barry

#4 ·
A little counterpoint. Are you sure it is a Mk1.5? I don't recall Catalina making that one. As far as I know they went straight to the full-on sugar scoop in the C36. Douglas "experimented" with the C34, putting in a "notch" in the original transom and calling that a Mk1.5. C36s are very well regarded in Northern California and command a premium price here. I understand that this is also true in other parts of the country. The market dictates the price and it is favorably disposed to the C36 and buyers are willing to pay the price. When I run the PHRF regression analysis, the O’day is a 147 v. the Catalina at 144. Your local committees may tweak or bias the formula for your local prevailing conditions. The Cat has a 35hp engine v. 21 HP for the O’day and has much larger water tankage. It is also heavier. The rig is bigger and the draft is deeper. The larger rig consistent with the boat being a foot longer (and the waterline two feet longer). As in all boats, condition, age and features trump everything. Do you have a link to the boats in question? Wither or not you buy the Cat makes no difference to me. The market for 36’s (in Cali) is pretty hot and boats without issues usually don’t stay at the broker’s docks for more than a few weeks.

#6 ·
True enough, a C36 in good condition with a scoop will be a tough find for less than $40k. I believe there are a few MkI C36's with the scoop (maybe ~1990), but most are MkII's, which makes them newer and pricier.

Also, don't forget about the C34, which had some MkI's (~1989) with a scoop, an "Mk1.5" in the early 1990's with a walk-through scoop, and the 1994+ MkII with a wider transom and bigger scoop. I've seen a couple Mk1/1.5 34's in the $40k range.

Lastly, keep in mind that the O'day 35's went out of production in 1989, so most are older boats than either the C36 or C34 with a scoop. I also think both of the Catalinas have about 6" or so more beam than the O'Day, if it matters. I've been aboard all three and the O35 feels the smallest inside.

It's hard to think resale when you're a buyer, but as you're experiencing, both of the Catalina models seem to hold their value about as well as any boat of that age.

#8 ·
Disclaimer: I own a Cat 27
But I did look at lots of ODays before buying.

If it comes down to these two boats and you like them equally the key question is: Which one is/was better maintained?

When buying and older boat the deferred maintanence and the post-purchase outlay to play maintanence catch up from previous owner is a huge consideration.

Engine: Which engine is better maintained (or at least appears that way)

Sails: Which boat has better shape (not necessarily more) sails?

Rigging: Which boats rigging is in better shape?

Other: Hose clamps appear maintained updated? Through hulls? Wiring? Age of electronics? Head and macerator? Keep bolts?

Last but not least, you can still buy lots of Catalina parts from CD. Very handy if you are a new owner.

Either way, best maintained boat wins and its the details that matter. $20k might be worth it. The PHRF rating in this case is irrelevant esp if large variances in sail condition.

Josh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.