Cabo Rico 38 vs. Moody 376 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-24-2014 Thread Starter

Cabo Rico 38 vs. Moody 376

Same price range (50-100,000)... same year range (late 1980's)

I'm interested in purchasing a boat with the intent to be a live-aboard in Boston Mass.

So, what do you think? Moody 376 or Cabo Rico 38? I like the traditional lines and design of the Cabo and I especially like the cozy L-shaped dinette and head with dedicated shower found on some models. I like the big aft stateroom on the Moody.

The Cabo will likely require more maintenance than the Moody, but I'm not against working on my boat. I'm just wondering what the pro's and cons are of each and if you think one would be better than the other for someone desiring to be a live-aboard in New England?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-24-2014
Just another Moderator

Re: Cabo Rico 38 vs. Moody 376

Pretty different pretty beasties..

CR 38 - full keel, very teaky on deck, beautiful

Moody - fin/partial skeg, brawny, handsome boat

Other than size and price they are very very different boats and will appeal, usually, to different types of sailors.

This particular sailor would take the Moody and admire the CR from afar...

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 15 Old 06-24-2014
jzk

I would go Moody because that is my style. Moodys are great boats that sail well. Nice aft cabin also!
post #4 of 15 Old 06-24-2014

The Moody for me, I hope to one day own one. The Cabo, not so much. There was one for sale in our marina, it looked nice, but had some issues that made the asking price way out of line.

Moody
post #5 of 15 Old 06-24-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

They are both very nice boats but I can agree with the comments that they are quite different beasts. I think for your purpose the Moody probably makes more sense, but the CR is certainly prettier and emotions are very important in this hobby (obsession).

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
post #6 of 15 Old 06-24-2014

Whenever I enter the cabin on a CB my first thought is "Damn it's dark in here", I've gotten to like the larger "lights" (windows) seen on newer designs. It's just a thought but if you intend to live aboard in one place a boat designed to cross oceans might not be as comfortable to live on as some other makes.

"Just call me TB"
post #7 of 15 Old 06-24-2014 Thread Starter

Well, I don't disagree on any one point. It is definitely a trade-off. Like I said, the Moody has a really nice aft stateroom... roomy and airy. The Cabo is lacking in this regard, but the forward Pullman style double berth is not necessarily a deal-breaker. The Cabo has a dedicated shower which, as a live-aboard is very high on my wishlist. The lack of a dedicated shower is not necessarily a deal-breaker for the Moody, either, but it is a large consideration for me.

I like the design of the L-shaped dinette on the Cabo better than the standard center-line table on the Moody, but there again, the trade-off isn't a deal-breaker.

If the decision were one merely based on looks, I would choose the Cabo every time. It is a terribly sexy boat. The Moody is considerably more standard in it's looks, and actually reminds me a lot of the Formosa 43's.

So, here are the pros and cons:

Cabo Rico:
Pros: Dedicated Shower, Cozy dinette area, gorgeous lines, very sturdy and dependable
Cons: No large stateroom, not a lot of extra sleeping space for guests, higher maintenance costs

Moody:
Pros: Large aft stateroom, airy and bright, more nimble
Cons: No dedicated shower, center-line table arrangement, boring look

I feel that both of these boats would keep me safe and sound if I ever decided to go for a cruise across the pond or down south. I am aware that the Cabo's are prone to having leaky decks, but many have had their teak decks replaced with fiberglass, so I think this concern can generally be discounted. The biggest problem I have with the Moody is the shower situation. I know it isn't a super important concern, but it is something that I find very desirable on a boat.

I've done a lot of research up to this point and discounted everything from Hunter Legends to Vagabonds. The two I've settled on are the Cabo and the Moody, but I just can't decide which trade-offs I'm willing to live with.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-24-2014
Just another Moderator

A deal breaker for me would be the difficulty the CR would present in close-quarters maneuvering , esp in reverse.

That, the aft cabin, and the reduced required maintenance would put me firmly in the Moody camp.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #9 of 15 Old 06-24-2014

Not sure your on the Cabo Rico yahoo site as I've not seen any questions concerning the 38's. There is also a Cabo face book page as well to ask your questions.

There was just recently a gathering of Cabo's on the Chesapeake Bay represented vessels from the 34 to the 42 foot range. Owners of these vessels would have been glad to show their vessels and would have gladly answer any questions.

This was a rare site as most Cabo's are mostly in far points of the world

Good luck,

Clay
S/V 'Tango'
CR 34
post #10 of 15 Old 06-25-2014
Old enough to know better

In the Moody, you could make the aft head into a dedicated shower/sink by removing the toilet. 37 foot is kind of small for two heads anyway. If you plan on actually sailing the Moody will out sail the CR, even in bad weather. I see no advantage of the CR except appearance. Now if you were comparing it to a coastal cruiser then it might have better rough weather handling, not that a live aboard in a harbor is likely to see much rough weather anyway. If you are not thinking of doing off shore trips, then you might want to look at some of the more coastal boats. They will give you more room for the money.

If you want a center cockpit you might want to look a bit bigger as they really need to be over 40 foot or so to give a real nice good sized aft cabin. Have you seen both boats or are you just looking at pictures.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.