Like Tree132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
We have a winner!!! What an incredible place. I am lucky to be able to work there on occasion.
hate to quote an obvious phrase but alaska and its islands are on my sailing bucket list...

maybe after I get over this raising a kid, work and land life over with

peace bud

and congrats on being able to visit those places

best luck on the boat search front
AlaskaMC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2014

UPHILL is on a distinguished road

St. Paul island, taking a wild guess..
AlaskaMC and christian.hess like this.
Catalina 25 1984 #4558 Swing Keel, Tall Rig
Sailing Payette Lake, Central Idaho USA
------------------------------------------------------

Old 08-22-2014
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

In my work I am visiting 35+ remote communities in the next 3 months or so. Next week is SE with Ketchikan, Wrangell, Juneau, Kake, Sitka and Angoon. How's that for a week of travel? The next week I head north, FAR NORTH!
christian.hess likes this.
Old 08-22-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In my work I am visiting 35+ remote communities in the next 3 months or so. Next week is SE with Ketchikan, Wrangell, Juneau, Kake, Sitka and Angoon. How's that for a week of travel? The next week I head north, FAR NORTH!
need a helper?
AlaskaMC likes this.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 09-03-2014
Frozen Member

Well, boat viewing done. LOTS of them removed from the list. But, the originals are still in the fight with one new one added. Now, who can tell me what this boat is? One of you isn't allowed to guess since it wouldn't be much of a guess...

Old 09-04-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Perry pilot house. Photo taken in front of shilshole. Looks to be about "m" dock... I looked at that boat but it didn't have good sleeping accommodations for the whole troop. Nice boat though.

Med
AlaskaMC and christian.hess like this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 09-04-2014
Frozen Member

Cheater!

Yep, very nice boat and yes, that is Shilshole. We are still back and forth on if this next boat will be the long term cruising boat (which would be the Fastnet or some such similar setup) or an Alaska only boat to be replaced when the big trip gets here (CL40 or this boat right now)

We are a family that camps in small tents and we had a tear drop trailer that we all slept in together (2 6' adults, 1 kid, 2 LARGE dogs.). This boat would be great for cruising PWS in the summer and shoulder months but wouldn't do for the sail away boat for the same reason you all mentioned.

Some non boating related factors will be the decider in the next couple months as we move the plans forward. Then again, when my better half goes looking with me I really think that will help focus the lens so to speak. Remember, I was only to reject things due to lack of upkeep to shrink the list. And this boat is in nice shape to say the least and just got a price drop making it very hard to ignore. A PH in Alaska just can't be ignored and this one should be able to sail nicely.
Old 09-05-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Cheater!

Yep, very nice boat and yes, that is Shilshole. We are still back and forth on if this next boat will be the long term cruising boat (which would be the Fastnet or some such similar setup) or an Alaska only boat to be replaced when the big trip gets here (CL40 or this boat right now)

We are a family that camps in small tents and we had a tear drop trailer that we all slept in together (2 6' adults, 1 kid, 2 LARGE dogs.). This boat would be great for cruising PWS in the summer and shoulder months but wouldn't do for the sail away boat for the same reason you all mentioned.

Some non boating related factors will be the decider in the next couple months as we move the plans forward. Then again, when my better half goes looking with me I really think that will help focus the lens so to speak. Remember, I was only to reject things due to lack of upkeep to shrink the list. And this boat is in nice shape to say the least and just got a price drop making it very hard to ignore. A PH in Alaska just can't be ignored and this one should be able to sail nicely.
AMEN brother. If you can make the accomodations work for you, I'd snap that boat up in a heartbeat on one condition. Can you actually see from the wheel in the pilothouse? This is a major failing of many pilothouse boats. Even my NC40 has marginal visibility from below. Barely enough for us to call it adequate. From the looks of it you likely can see. The genoa is on a pennant as well which should help. Must be a good designer at work....

You sure don't have to sell ME on the advantages of a pilothouse up here! I can only imagine that the advantages of the pilothouse multiply quickly the further north you get. That and diesel heat, and a warm place to get out of the cold... like a sauna for example.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 09-05-2014
Frozen Member

The view from the inside wheel is fantastic. Also, the electronics are nicely setup to see both inside and out. Here is the view...

The layout is definitely different, but seems like it would really work up here. Oh, and she's purdy.

We are in the holding pattern now until I finish a giant work project that involves a massive amount of travel. I have already been in 12 remote Alaska villages so far and have 16 to go as a minimum and more likely something like 25. When that is done, we are coming down for a good week or two and hopefully making a decision. I know that stepping onto the boats made for a quick decision for me and I think it will for Steph as well. Being in a space yourself puts things in perspective fast.
Old 09-07-2014
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The view from the inside wheel is fantastic. Also, the electronics are nicely setup to see both inside and out. Here is the view...

The layout is definitely different, but seems like it would really work up here. Oh, and she's purdy.

We are in the holding pattern now until I finish a giant work project that involves a massive amount of travel. I have already been in 12 remote Alaska villages so far and have 16 to go as a minimum and more likely something like 25. When that is done, we are coming down for a good week or two and hopefully making a decision. I know that stepping onto the boats made for a quick decision for me and I think it will for Steph as well. Being in a space yourself puts things in perspective fast.
I looked at that boat on Yachtworld...she's beautiful. Having not been aboard, I couldn't tell if the hull shape or engine space would allow you to drop that 2nd berth lower. Seems like an option if you gave-up the storage/tankage/or whatever is below. A little headroom would go a long way!