We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore - Page 18 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree132Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #171  
Old 08-22-2014
christian.hess's Avatar
"Nubile Southern Sailor"
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Columbus, Ga
Posts: 3,834
Thanks: 102
Thanked 152 Times in 148 Posts
Rep Power: 2
christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
We have a winner!!! What an incredible place. I am lucky to be able to work there on occasion.
hate to quote an obvious phrase but alaska and its islands are on my sailing bucket list...

maybe after I get over this raising a kid, work and land life over with

peace bud

and congrats on being able to visit those places

best luck on the boat search front
AlaskaMC likes this.
__________________
Finally sailed!!!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #172  
Old 08-22-2014
UPHILL's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 86
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
UPHILL is on a distinguished road
Re: We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

St. Paul island, taking a wild guess..
AlaskaMC and christian.hess like this.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------
Catalina 25 1984 #4558 Swing Keel, Tall Rig
Sailing Payette Lake, Central Idaho USA
------------------------------------------------------



_______________________________________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #173  
Old 08-22-2014
AlaskaMC's Avatar
Frozen Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 562
Thanks: 25
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 5
AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Re: We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

In my work I am visiting 35+ remote communities in the next 3 months or so. Next week is SE with Ketchikan, Wrangell, Juneau, Kake, Sitka and Angoon. How's that for a week of travel? The next week I head north, FAR NORTH!
christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #174  
Old 08-22-2014
christian.hess's Avatar
"Nubile Southern Sailor"
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Columbus, Ga
Posts: 3,834
Thanks: 102
Thanked 152 Times in 148 Posts
Rep Power: 2
christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
In my work I am visiting 35+ remote communities in the next 3 months or so. Next week is SE with Ketchikan, Wrangell, Juneau, Kake, Sitka and Angoon. How's that for a week of travel? The next week I head north, FAR NORTH!
need a helper?
AlaskaMC likes this.
__________________
Finally sailed!!!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #175  
Old 09-03-2014
AlaskaMC's Avatar
Frozen Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 562
Thanks: 25
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 5
AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Re: We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

Well, boat viewing done. LOTS of them removed from the list. But, the originals are still in the fight with one new one added. Now, who can tell me what this boat is? One of you isn't allowed to guess since it wouldn't be much of a guess...

christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #176  
Old 09-04-2014
MedSailor's Avatar
Closet Powerboater
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anacortes PNW
Posts: 2,708
Thanks: 110
Thanked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 7
MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Perry pilot house. Photo taken in front of shilshole. Looks to be about "m" dock... I looked at that boat but it didn't have good sleeping accommodations for the whole troop. Nice boat though.

Med
AlaskaMC and christian.hess like this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #177  
Old 09-04-2014
AlaskaMC's Avatar
Frozen Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 562
Thanks: 25
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 5
AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Re: We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

Cheater!

Yep, very nice boat and yes, that is Shilshole. We are still back and forth on if this next boat will be the long term cruising boat (which would be the Fastnet or some such similar setup) or an Alaska only boat to be replaced when the big trip gets here (CL40 or this boat right now)

We are a family that camps in small tents and we had a tear drop trailer that we all slept in together (2 6' adults, 1 kid, 2 LARGE dogs.). This boat would be great for cruising PWS in the summer and shoulder months but wouldn't do for the sail away boat for the same reason you all mentioned.

Some non boating related factors will be the decider in the next couple months as we move the plans forward. Then again, when my better half goes looking with me I really think that will help focus the lens so to speak. Remember, I was only to reject things due to lack of upkeep to shrink the list. And this boat is in nice shape to say the least and just got a price drop making it very hard to ignore. A PH in Alaska just can't be ignored and this one should be able to sail nicely.
christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #178  
Old 09-05-2014
MedSailor's Avatar
Closet Powerboater
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anacortes PNW
Posts: 2,708
Thanks: 110
Thanked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 7
MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
Cheater!

Yep, very nice boat and yes, that is Shilshole. We are still back and forth on if this next boat will be the long term cruising boat (which would be the Fastnet or some such similar setup) or an Alaska only boat to be replaced when the big trip gets here (CL40 or this boat right now)

We are a family that camps in small tents and we had a tear drop trailer that we all slept in together (2 6' adults, 1 kid, 2 LARGE dogs.). This boat would be great for cruising PWS in the summer and shoulder months but wouldn't do for the sail away boat for the same reason you all mentioned.

Some non boating related factors will be the decider in the next couple months as we move the plans forward. Then again, when my better half goes looking with me I really think that will help focus the lens so to speak. Remember, I was only to reject things due to lack of upkeep to shrink the list. And this boat is in nice shape to say the least and just got a price drop making it very hard to ignore. A PH in Alaska just can't be ignored and this one should be able to sail nicely.
AMEN brother. If you can make the accomodations work for you, I'd snap that boat up in a heartbeat on one condition. Can you actually see from the wheel in the pilothouse? This is a major failing of many pilothouse boats. Even my NC40 has marginal visibility from below. Barely enough for us to call it adequate. From the looks of it you likely can see. The genoa is on a pennant as well which should help. Must be a good designer at work....

You sure don't have to sell ME on the advantages of a pilothouse up here! I can only imagine that the advantages of the pilothouse multiply quickly the further north you get. That and diesel heat, and a warm place to get out of the cold... like a sauna for example.

MedSailor
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #179  
Old 09-05-2014
AlaskaMC's Avatar
Frozen Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 562
Thanks: 25
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 5
AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Re: We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

The view from the inside wheel is fantastic. Also, the electronics are nicely setup to see both inside and out. Here is the view...



The layout is definitely different, but seems like it would really work up here. Oh, and she's purdy.

We are in the holding pattern now until I finish a giant work project that involves a massive amount of travel. I have already been in 12 remote Alaska villages so far and have 16 to go as a minimum and more likely something like 25. When that is done, we are coming down for a good week or two and hopefully making a decision. I know that stepping onto the boats made for a quick decision for me and I think it will for Steph as well. Being in a space yourself puts things in perspective fast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #180  
Old 09-07-2014
funjohnson's Avatar
A New Adventurer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 281
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Re: We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
The view from the inside wheel is fantastic. Also, the electronics are nicely setup to see both inside and out. Here is the view...



The layout is definitely different, but seems like it would really work up here. Oh, and she's purdy.

We are in the holding pattern now until I finish a giant work project that involves a massive amount of travel. I have already been in 12 remote Alaska villages so far and have 16 to go as a minimum and more likely something like 25. When that is done, we are coming down for a good week or two and hopefully making a decision. I know that stepping onto the boats made for a quick decision for me and I think it will for Steph as well. Being in a space yourself puts things in perspective fast.
I looked at that boat on Yachtworld...she's beautiful. Having not been aboard, I couldn't tell if the hull shape or engine space would allow you to drop that 2nd berth lower. Seems like an option if you gave-up the storage/tankage/or whatever is below. A little headroom would go a long way!
__________________
1989 Sabre 34II Targa
mjsailing.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheoy Lee Offshore 28 islandman2 Boat Review and Purchase Forum 6 04-20-2014 12:33 PM
Cheoy Lee Offshore 27' tager Cheoy Lee 3 05-13-2013 01:31 PM
Cheoy Lee Offshore 41 FrankDowney Boat Review and Purchase Forum 3 03-03-2012 08:21 PM
Cheoy Lee Offshore 40 Ganderbay Boat Review and Purchase Forum 29 09-24-2010 11:44 AM
cheoy lee 31 offshore jte1343 Boat Review and Purchase Forum 17 09-09-2009 12:30 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.