LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2014
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Re: We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
Woe unto you who buys a teak deck!

I know about being in love with a boat and those are great beautiful boats. I'd just caution, and as strongly as I can persuasively say, be ready to remove them and lay a glass deck. I mean be really really ready for it. Plan on it as a part of what will need to be done to the boat and don't think you'll be able to re-caulk a 45 year old teak deck and have it not leak. Unless new teak has been laid in the past. More than likely there will be thin boards which won't hold a caulk seam and it will leak again shortly after the back breaking process of re-caulking has just been done.

Read some online articles about the cost and the work necessary for laying a new deck on a 40ft boat. Be prepared for lots of extra work that you'll find when it is pulled up.

Have you thought about the Pearson Countess's? They are are great cruising boat too, same price range and similarly good looking. Just with glass decks.

Cheers and glad you've found a new love!
Yep. That is the assumption for sure, lots of teak to remove and reglass. I have experience in both thankfully (or not) and understand the implications for sure. One of the options up here would be to do the work in the winter when the boat is pulled anyway if I can't find one with the work already done. That is why I was so sad to see what Tai Pan had done to her. Thought that was glass until reading further.

On the Countess, I love them. Just never have found one in the northwest. Also, important bit here, the BIG difference in this boat and others that are similar in look and feel is the interior. There is NOTHING from this era, in this setup with births for 4 without dropping a table or something. Not that we won't end up doing this in the end anyway, but the Reliance/CL 40 has it all. If we fit in the front then it is perfect for us both inside and out. I have never found a single Pearson with accommodations that would work for us without sleeping in the galley.

So on that note, anyone have any other boats that would allow us to keep the kids separate as time wears on? And if the suggestion is a production boat, believe me I have a list next to me (literally) that details each one and the price ranges. We can find a 3 birth production boat not too hard that would be easy to make the trip with but we are looking for the alternatives as we get very serious.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2014
Frozen Member

Yep. The class action suit against Rustoleum that I found details on doesn't sound good either. Sounds like he made a big mistake and is trying to hide it in the otherwise good details. The deck info is hidden way down in his description and he knows it was a mistake, that is why he blames the salesperson at the home improvement store. I bet he has had a few walkaways as soon as folks realized it wasn't reglassed. That move alone may move that boat into negative value territory depending on how horrible that stuff is to remove. Just plain sad.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 06-26-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

he will have to face the fact that he will eiether rot the boat from not selling or take a huge cut from the price for the new buyer to repair and undo that mistake

what will probably happen is hell keep the boat and use it till he satiates his costly mistake and will sell either after the new deck starts decaying or he simply doesnt want to deal with it...

you could wait for that but you have to be a man on fire! cash in hand...bugging and begging...

anywhoo

I would love to see what happens to those decks and if a new buyer removes them what the original teak deck condition is...

I bet they will be ok, just a bit swollen...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2014
Frozen Member

I agree Christian. I bet it wasn't as bad as he feared and now the problem is the not knowing. Not our thing though. I want a boat that needs work, not a forced many year rebuild that can't be sailed at the same time. Looking for that perfect middle of the road boat. I want to do some work, that's fun, but not looking for a true project boat. And I understand that the line gets kinda thin between the two with a boat like this, but that is different from peeling 40' of goo off the top of a deck that then needs to be removed too.

MiataPaul: On the question about which way the screws go, I think down given the descriptions I have read from folks that redid their decks. Why would anyone screw up (LOL)? Just seems it would guarantee that the deck would leak and the core would be destroyed.

Last edited by AlaskaMC; 06-26-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-26-2014
Frozen Member

As a sidenote, seems like the bulkheads and doghouse are the things to watch our for on these in addition to the usual worries about decks with teak. I have read many owners (great owners group it seems) rebuild stories and that seems to be a trend for boats that were left unappreciated.

No matter what I will need a surveyor in the Seattle area sometime before next spring. Whether for this boat or another. But that is another thread...

EDIT: I see Tom from Maine is reading this! Now we will see some love for the wood from our East coast northern team!
TomMaine likes this.
Old 06-26-2014

appick is on a distinguished road

Ok I wasn't sure how much maintenance and fiberglass work you'd been privy to experience. Sounds like you know what you're getting yourself into.

I had a Formosa 35 that I bought for $1100 that needed the decks just torn off. I was too young to realize the wisdom in what everyone else was saying to just it a scrapper and start tearing them off. Had I done that I probably would've been able to save the boat. In the end I stripped it and made a little money on the deal. The bulkheads started rotting and numerous fiberglass cracks in the deck house and decks made me really question the quality of the construction on the boat. Live and learn.

My experience and problem was starting with someone else's restoration project that had been abandoned and left in a farm field...
AlaskaMC and christian.hess like this.
Old 06-26-2014
Frozen Member

Thanks for the story and the warning. It helps when looking into boats for sure. The boat I am really looking at is Pelagic at this point. Wish I had the time now to hop on a plane to go look but that will have to wait until the next few weeks are past. I checked the boat and it has a consistent ownership history and has done some serious cruising. Tai Pan has become a live aboard and I think sometimes that can be a very bad thing if the PO gets frustrated and wants to stop leaks now. Making a boat (or anything for that matter) better quick and cheap to fix a frustration often leads to a time bomb waiting to go off when no one is expecting it. I hate hidden problems.
Old 06-26-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
MiataPaul: On the question about which way the screws go, I think down given the descriptions I have read from folks that redid their decks. Why would anyone screw up (LOL)? Just seems it would guarantee that the deck would leak and the core would be destroyed.
I am not sure if it is Choy Lee that did it that way or someone else. I just recently read something about it. Nice thing was there were no plugs in the top, and it is smooth, till it wears to the screws. Looks really good, and no leaks till the teak wears enough for water to weep down the screws.

I believe the Tartan 41 does the split berths aft like that with a v-birth up front. They have a kind of sitting area between the births as well.

TARTAN 41 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Solid old boat with lots of nice wood below, though it was originally a race boat. One sold here last year for quite a reasonable price, but needed some work.
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 06-26-2014
Frozen Member

Thanks for the Tartan! Just looked and it reminds me of a Swan that we kinda fell for with an aft setup that was similar. Very pretty boat for sure and it would work I think. Does that rear cabin close though? Looks like it is open like a J boat or the Swan vs being a separate cabin in the Cheoy Lee.

EDIT: To explain our thinking on this berth thing for the kiddos. They go to bed way before us, and even in our Mac they can go to sleep in the V berth and we hang out and stay up and sleep on the dinette. We want to make sure that no matter how much we love a boat while sailing or just looking at it, that we at least keep the same accommodations or improve them a bit. Now a big concern for my wife and I is being able to keep an eye on the companion way so to speak. This is where the Swan fell short for example. Rear births were nice, but open, while the fore cabin was small, high up, and far from the companionway. Once again the Offshore with it's odd offset companionway solves an issue for us.

Last edited by AlaskaMC; 06-26-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-26-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
Thanks for the Tartan! Just looked and it reminds me of a Swan that we kinda fell for with an aft setup that was similar. Very pretty boat for sure and it would work I think. Does that rear cabin close though? Looks like it is open like a J boat or the Swan vs being a separate cabin in the Cheoy Lee.

EDIT: To explain our thinking on this berth thing for the kiddos. They go to bed way before us, and even in our Mac they can go to sleep in the V berth and we hang out and stay up and sleep on the dinette. We want to make sure that no matter how much we love a boat while sailing or just looking at it, that we at least keep the same accommodations or improve them a bit. Now a big concern for my wife and I is being able to keep an eye on the companion way so to speak. This is where the Swan fell short for example. Rear births were nice, but open, while the fore cabin was small, high up, and far from the companionway. Once again the Offshore with it's odd offset companionway solves an issue for us.
Don't worry it won't be long before you will be the ones going to bed earlier! My youngest is turning 16 next week (oldest is 35) so it happens in what seems to be a few weeks!

I don't think it closes. And I don't think there were many of the 41's made.
AlaskaMC likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.