Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

Love is always trouble isn't it! My wife and I have been on a many year lookout for the PNW machine of our dreams. We love older designs, but long trips and 2 kids are the ingredients and it always seemed to push us to more production designs like a Cat 34/36 or some such. Not that we don't love them but we have been considering nightly turndowns of the dinette to get something with more character like a Tayana 37.

But then we find these...

1969 Cheoy Lee Offshore 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

and

Offshore 40 Sloop -- Cheoy Lee

Seems that this clicks all the boxes for us as a family, sailors and lovers of wood. They have a great rear cabin with two berths that would be PERFECT for the girls. Then it just comes down to if we fit in the fore cabin. I know about the wood upkeep, but what about them as sailors? They seem to be well regarded out there but it is a 3/4 keel and won't likely be fast. Or do I have this all wrong? Keep in mind that we are used to small production boats (25-35) vs anything like this.

Both have had recent rebuilds on the Perkins.

The second one has done an odd encapsulation of the teak decks that makes me nervous instead of removing them. Any thoughts on that?

Plan for us is to move the boat up here, next summer as an all summer inside passage trip and to buy early enough to be able to shakedown before.

Usually people ask for the sailnetters to talk them out of something. Hey! Talk us into it!
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by AlaskaMC; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: We have fallen for the Cheoy Lee 40 Offshore

They are beautiful boats.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 3 Weeks Ago

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

An old friend of mine has sailed 40K Nm on his and is currently at anchor in Thailand. Plenty of boat for you to explore the world. Good luck and good sailing! In the trades you will easily average 150 nm a day...

Can you explain the "odd encapsulation" of the teak decks? Could be cause for concern, as to what may be lurking below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

the are beautiful boats but realize regardless of the write ups they are O L D er boats

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Get Matt Harris or the guys at Reisner & McEwen to do the survey. They are well acquainted with boats produced in Taiwan.
AlaskaMC likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
the are beautiful boats but realize regardless of the write ups they are O L D er boats
Yeah, nobody needs to own any older boat, who doesn't enjoy working on boats, unless they have deep pockets.

But, I find that working on my boat gives me almost as much pleasure as sailing it.
AlaskaMC likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 3 Weeks Ago

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Wait a minute... Those boats have offset companionways... Don't you realize you're gonna DIE ???

(grin, bigtime)

Glen Wakefield's Offshore seemed to serve him pretty well on his first attempt at a non-stop circumnavigation, until he was rolled and injured in extreme conditions E of the Falklands, so they must be a pretty weatherly boat...

Kim Chow Around the World Circumnavigation

As always, so much depends on your intended use... An offset companionway should by no means necessarily be a deal-breaker, but just be aware that it is not a desirable characteristic in a boat intended to be sailed offshore. Reading Joe Minick's account in PS of being knocked down in a severe storm while at anchor in Greece aboard his Mason 44 drives home the vulnerabilty of such offset companionways, and how easily downflooding can occur if all things conspire to go exactly wrong...

Those are lovely boats, easy to see why you're so attracted... Good luck, but I agree with aventyr60, I suspect little good could come over the long term from that one with the "encapsulated deck", you'd at least want a surveyor take a VERY close look at that work...
AlaskaMC likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:40 AM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

capecodda is on a distinguished road

I cannot come up with a single logical reason why this is a good decision. Let's see teak decks, wood dog house, age....

BUT, both boats to my eye are drop dead gorgeous.

So I think you should do it anyway!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

do it! the 40 was one of the better designed cheoy lees...

ps. are you saying the second pic or link withthe white decks did a glass over of the teak decks?

ok this was a common thing HOWEVER

you must make sure they removed the actual teak and glassed over the ply sub deck

if the just glassed over the deck, caulking and all thats a recipe for disaster as the teal decks will creep from expansion and contraction not to mention once the caulking fails you have a million gaps of air and such that will expand and contract etc...

not saying its already happened but beware...if the actual teak planks were removed and then the sub deck glassed over thats been done many times sometimes with beatiful results.

in any case back to thos boats I really loved them...

Id check the sloop out, the yawl version mast however is good for radar and stuff...but not very effective sail wise.
AlaskaMC likes this.

Last edited by christian.hess; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:59 AM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

the overall condition of the first one is much better...its also a better buy...
AlaskaMC likes this.