Which sportboat to buy? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-26-2014 Thread Starter

Which sportboat to buy?

Ive decided to buy a sportboat, but cant decided on which. I really like the J70, but its out of my prize range. Looking to spend around $10.000.

I am looking for a 20-25feet sailboat without trapezes. The Humphreys 22 looks perfect, but i cant find any suitable boats for sale.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Jonhvam; 06-26-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-27-2014

Re: Which sportboat to buy?

Not an expert, but I am somewhat curious about this also. Have you looked into these? Tripp 26, Ultimate 24, B25, Kirby 25, Olson 25. The first two are pricey. Also, there are tons of J24s out there.

1977 C&C 27 MKIII
Sea Mist
post #3 of 11 Old 06-27-2014
Owner 4knot sb.

wow, a J/24 a sportboat? Really? If so then my Capri 25 is also a sportboat (and is for sale), yeah I know buy an ad.

The B25, modified to fly a masthead kite might fit, couple on the market right now.

The bigger boats, the Melges, J/80 are going for $20k+
Other suggestions might be Ultimate 20, Rocket 22, viper 830, (also usually $20k+).

To keep you on budget you could find a Holder 20, turbo it (taller rig, larger roachier main, deck mount sprit, huge asym)... That might work within your budget.

Many older racing OD boats, can be turboed... some better than others, but at that price range you might need to do that, rather than buy outright... but I bet you'll be pushing $20k when you are done.

I am assuming by sportboat, you are meaning a boat that'll hop up on a surf/plane off wind given enough wind.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-27-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonhvam View Post
Ive decided to buy a sportboat, but cant decided on which. I really like the J70, but its out of my prize range. Looking to spend around $10.000.

I am looking for a 20-25feet sailboat without trapezes. The Humphreys 22 looks perfect, but i cant find any suitable boats for sale.

Any suggestions?
Yes, post this question in the "Sport Boat Anarchy" subforum on Sailing Anarchy.

I am not sure they qualify as "sport boats", but if I were looking at your price range, I would hone in on an Olson 30 or a Hobie 33 - both legendary speedboats that will plane or surf, and can be used for offshore singlehanded/doublehanded ocean racing. Also, they both have a little bit of interior accommodations for an overnight or weekend cruise if you like to be uncomfortable.
Faster likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-27-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Olson 30 isn't really a sport boat by the modern definition, but seems like an excellent choice for under $10k.

Of course for $10k you could also get a fast dinghy in moderate condition (5O5, 29er, I14) and a cheap all around boat like a Catalina 25 for cruising and partying. All of those dinghies have trapezes, but I'm not sure why that is something you are against. The 5O5 trapeze is easy to work with (only the crew uses it) and the boat is a ton of fun.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-27-2014
Owner 4knot sb.

We using PHRF NEs definition of a sportboat?
Quote:
What is a sport boat? We use four definitions. Normally the boat must meet all four to be considered a sport boat. These criteria are:
1. A displacement/length ratio less than 100
2. An upwind sail area/displacement ratio greater than 30
3. A downwind sail area displacement ratio greater than 75
4. A sprit length more than 50 percent of J
The sail areas are computed using the foretriangle and mainsail square areas which do not take into account jib overlap or mainsail roach. These are accounted for by the Handicapping Committee when making judgments.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-27-2014

If you want a boat to race, the J/24 isn't a sportboat, but have a big class, and can be had cheaply. If you want a sportboat, the J/70 and Viper 640 both have big classes, but are more expensive than an old J/24. I hear that friends don't let friends race PHRF...
post #8 of 11 Old 06-27-2014
Old enough to know better

I think it depends on how competitive you want to be. If you want to be competitive, you budget will get a set of sails. If all you want is a fun boat to run around a lake relatively quickly and the occasional race then it is doable. Where are you located, that can make a difference? By me there has been a J/24 for free on Craigslist, it it has solid decks it might make a good basis for something fun. Though the guy keeps calling it a jayco or something like that.

If you want to race then I would look to see what one design fleets there are around you. That to me would be more important than anything because if you want to race then you want people to race with!
post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2014
Owner 4knot sb.

Ok, I'll post my findings... only because I've seen people throw around sport-boat as a definition... I posted what NE-PHRF thinks is a sportboat above, so I wondered how my boat stacked up... I've even seen someone claim the Capri 25 is an Ultra Low Displacement boat (I think it'd need to lose about 1000lbs to fit that criteria).

Using the above definition
DA/Length = 118 for my boat. (sportboat should be <100)
SA/Disp = 30.1 for 155 Genoa and full main (sportboat should be >30)
Downwind SA/Disp = 52.89 with a Symmetrical Spin (sportboat should be >75)

The last criteria, is a SPRIT length greater than 50% of J... So my J dim is 9.8, so lets call that an even 5 foot sprit is required. That'd require an adjustment to the size of an Asym, but I submit that the Capri 25 is close enough to be a "possible" candidate for "turboing." It'd be a real PITA though, since it's a masthead rig, and even with a 5 foot sprit, clearing the asym around the forestay might be problematic at best.

Again, just posting my findings. On a standard W/L we do quite well, off wind a sprit and an asym would smoke us.

Since OD is almost gone for the Capri 25 (respects WYC, you guys are really too far away for me)... I've considered turboing my Capri, frankly to make it easier to manage with an asym.... Sounds like making it a sportboat at the same time might be possible. Not sure it's worth it though. Kind of nice to have a 30yo boat that's paid for, that does not have balsa core though.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-30-2014

OP needs to respond and tell us why he wants a sportboat. At 10K, a competitive sportboat is not going to happen. If he really wants a reasonably competitive PHRF racer or just a fast and lively daysailer, that's a different story.

Tags
h22 sportboat racing , j70

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.