Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2014

lakesguy is on a distinguished road
Selling a boat and transport long distance

Hello,

I have a question about people's experience selling a sailboat long distance. I have a buyer but I'd need to drive the boat 500 miles to them. I'm willing to do it, they seem on the level, but I don't want to leave here without a good amount of money down, they are not willing to send me enough of a deposit to make me comfortable. I can understand their hesitation as well. I am not familiar with any other way to handle the transaction, it's just a little trailer boat, but 5k is a lot to me and I don't feel comfortable hauling it that distance for a 5% deposit that would barely cover my gas. Does anyone have any experience with how to make both sides feel more comfortable or any services or agreements that would help us move forward? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2014
Catamarans are the best

Location: North Dakota -the land of ice and snow and 650,000 other people
Subaqua is on a distinguished road
Re: Selling a boat and transport long distance

They need to do more homework.. they need to ask for some really good pictures and you need to be honest with them about the condition.. they have to make up their minds before hand. Make the deal.. they come and get it, bringing you the money.. or you get the money, and make the delivery. Making the delivery can be risky too.. what if something happens.. you keep insurance on it until the transaction is completely done for sure.
that's my opinion anyway. It's like buying anything long distance. It's their decision.. you don't haul it to them just so they can look at it.
Old 06-28-2014

lakesguy is on a distinguished road

They've seen the pics, I've shown them everything, they want to meet halfway. Yeah I can't drive a boat that distance with as little as they are willing to put down, I don't think I'd need the whole amount, but more than they seem willing to put up. I wonder if there's anything I could do to verify my identity or something beforehand so they'd feel more comfortable sending money up front.
Old 06-28-2014

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like the risk is all yours, and they can renegotiate when you arrive. They need more skin in the game before I would be willing to make the trip. This is the time of yedar people want trailer sailors.

Unless you are getting a really good price from them I would also ask that they cover your expenses to deliver.

Last edited by tomandchris; 06-28-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-28-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

lakesguy, you're the seller. You sell the boat, as is where is.

IF you own a trailer, and IF you can move the boat, then part of his offer can be to have you deliver the boat AFTER HE BUYS IT AND PAYS FOR IT IN FULL.

No dickering around, no debating, no nonsense.

He buys the boat, pays for the boat, and then you hop in the truck (whatever) and follow him home to deliver it--IF that's part of the bargain.

Moving a boat is always something that happens AFTER it is bought and paid for.

Unless you order the boat on Amazon, in which case there's a huge buzzing sound as all the drones bring it in for delivery. Honest. (G)
kd3pc, tomandchris and Jaramaz like this.
Old 06-28-2014

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
lakesguy, you're the seller. You sell the boat, as is where is.

IF you own a trailer, and IF you can move the boat, then part of his offer can be to have you deliver the boat AFTER HE BUYS IT AND PAYS FOR IT IN FULL.

No dickering around, no debating, no nonsense.

He buys the boat, pays for the boat, and then you hop in the truck (whatever) and follow him home to deliver it--IF that's part of the bargain.

Moving a boat is always something that happens AFTER it is bought and paid for.

Unless you order the boat on Amazon, in which case there's a huge buzzing sound as all the drones bring it in for delivery. Honest. (G)
Yes, a transaction follows some rules. Hellosailor has put these down very accrutately.
As a seller you want the sale to go through. This can be used by the buyers if you do a lot of efforts before the transaction is done.

Be strict!

/J
Old 06-28-2014

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

don't leave the house until you have a confirmed deal and at least half the money in hand.

Anything less than that and you have given up ALL leverage to make the deal work.

Are they going to unhitch the boat and take it back with them, are they putting you up in a hotel for the night as a 1K mile trip is a doozy no matter what your age. And then the risk of trailer/truck/boat issues on the road. That cost can go up exponentially.

Unless THEY come see the boat, walk away.....no run away. You have no idea who these people really are or how serious they are about your boat.

I have sold several boats/cars/motorcycles and they have all included a visit by the prospective buyer at my location, no matter how the delivery happens.

This is NOT the way the deals are done, in this day and age.
Old 06-29-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

I agree with hellosailer. Deal closed, paid in full, THEN you deliver it IF that's part of the final deal.

If you deliver it without a final deal and only a small deposit, you have lost all negotiation edge. They can low ball you and you will have gone to all that trouble for nothing.
tomandchris likes this.
Old 06-29-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

For a couple hundred dollars, you could use a marine escrow service. Here is an example, no endorsement, but I have used them before:

New England Marine Documentation * Marine Title

You send them your contract and all the money, or at least a meaningful deposit. When terms are met, they release the money. If they aren't met, they don't. Your contract should clearly set forth the deal.

If your buyer has an wiggle room after they see the boat, you would be foolish to drive it to them.

I once flew a plane that I sold across the country to the buyer. 10% sat in escrow and the contract had three explicit (and objectively quantifiable) things that had to check out when I got there. If they didn't, I just had to pay to make them check out. The buyer had zero room to walk away, or I kept their deposit. It worked and all parties were happy. I sold in a few weeks on the market and they got a delivery for the single cost of my commercial ticket back home.
tomandchris likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-29-2014

fryewe is on a distinguished road

I have bought and sold three boats on trailers in the past four years that haven't required mortgage and escrow.

When I buy I go see the boat with cash in my pocket. If I like the boat and the deal I close the deal and deliver the cash and take the boat home. Clear title and registration in hand by the seller is a must.

When I sell a boat the buyer comes to me with cash in his pocket. If he likes the boat and the deal I close the deal and he delivers the cash and takes the boat home. Clear title and registration is provided to the buyer.

When selling I had about three times as many "offers" that were obvious scams as I had serious inquiries. I would never in this age of the internet buy or sell with someone I don't know - without escrow - except on a cash basis in a face to face transaction
tomandchris likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.