Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2014

Mike Andreosso is on a distinguished road
What comes first?

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy my first sailboat.

I need some advice on the process.

What if you find the boat you want to buy but haven't secured a marina where you can dock the boat?

I imagine it is quite a different process than buying a car or a motorcycle - getting a surveyor involved if necessary, etc.

I don't want to get ahead of myself in the boat buying process - any advice or experiences you can share would be welcome.

Thanks,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2014

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: What comes first?

Multi-task!?

Start by figuring out wheryou want to have the boat.. Call marinas in that area to get costs and availability..all while perusing ads for boats.
Call the best three back and get info on depth of slips, actual cost per foot and tidal data, thengo "visit". a few of the chosen boats. Find a boat that's closest/best buy/meets criteria and call marina about same. an. get. actual quote on fees for. THAT boat..
Make decision and set date ttransfer title (?) and. call marina to set arrival n ndate to suit purchase date..
Make purchase. Call tthe bmarine and informtthem you'rre on tthe way.

Easy-peasy
The Following User Says Thank You to deltaten For This Useful Post:
Mike Andreosso (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

The process is as described above, with some exceptions. It really depends on where you live and want the boat. In some areas slips are plentiful. They may be reasonable or expensive but still plentiful. In other areas, you may have a waiting list of 3 months to five years dependent on how particular you are about where you want the boat.

Call around in your area and see what availablity looks like. If it is difficult, then spend a few dollars to get on the waiting list to get a slip. If they call before you buy the boat, make a decision based on where you are in the process. If they don't call, find an alternative for the season which may be transient and expensive.

Like everything, it is location, location, location.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomandchris For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

If you are lucky enough to have a lot of choices in marinas, don't feel like you're stuck with any one if you find it isn't a good fit (weird dock neighbors, management, ease of getting in and out of slip, amenities, etc.). Maybe keep the boat there for a month or season and shop around at your leisure. When we stay at different marinas for the weekend we usually inquire about rates and look at it with an eye towards moving. In our case it always confirms that we made the right choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Working out a realistic budget would be a good start. How much do you want to spend initially on a boat, and how much in annual cost for the slip, insurance, and maintenance.
The Following User Says Thank You to krisscross For This Useful Post:
Dog8It (07-04-2014)
Old 07-03-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

Before you do anything, you must find out where you will keep the boat. There is no point in finding the perfect boat at the perfect price and then finding you can't find a place to keep it.

Around here (north shore of Long Island) there are NO slips available. At least none for a reasonable price. There are moorings available: most harbors have mooring fields that the town manages and / or private companies. You can put a boat on a mooring today for a reasonable price and then get on a waiting list for a slip but it may take 5-10 years to get the slip.

So, I suggest finding a place to keep a boat, then start looking for a boat. Of course first you need to come up your boat buying budget, boat maintenance budget, and marina costs. Don't forget to include the cost of winter storage if the boat must be hauled out.

Barry

Old 07-03-2014

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

If you have a partner/spouse what they feel comfortable with is a starting point. This is easier if you've been renting or chartering a bit.
Make a cold hard estimate of how you will be using the boat. Often we buy boats based on infrequent use e.g. an annual multi-week cruise as opposed to weekend or evening sailings. It would be less costly to charter for those infrequent uses, and allow more cruising variety as well. Smaller boats appear to get more use than bigger ones.
If your analysis gets you to a trailable boat this is a big cost savings. Marina fees add up. The ability to do maintenance in your yard is far more convenient and less costly that on the water. You can take an outboard to a shop whereas you bring the mechanic to the inboard $$$.
Most boats have a depreciation curve steep that's like cars steep at first then flattening out. You can see this in the blue books. Age however doesn't affect sailboats all that much. Often owners pour a lot of money into upgrading thier boats that they never get back making an older boat better than its new cousin. Electronics are usually outdated in about seven years however. diesel engines need to be checked by an expert. You can do early damage to diesels by not running them properly.
Buying a popular class boat has advantages in info on how to deal with class problems, easier to sell and contacts and info on available boats.
Finally, if getting an older boat, make a good estimate of what the upgrades will cost you. Usually hunting down a well loved boat that has that stuff done is a better strategy.
Cal-29
Old 07-03-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I thought "what" was on 2nd, and "who" was on first, this thread has me SOOOOOOOOO confused......crimeny!

Marty
Old 07-03-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Relax Mike. Marty is here to guide you.
You sound like an accountant.
I'd just have a glass of wine and go where the wind and my dogs take me. It's really not all that critical. Time will work out the details. Time and Marty.
AlaskaMC likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 07-04-2014

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Day sailing? Boat camping? Vacationing? Long term coastal cruising? Voyaging?

Pond? Lake? Bay? Estuary? ICW? Gunk holing? Ocean?

Just you? Spouse? Kids? Pets? Guests?

New with complex systems (cash to spend) or old and simple (skills to use) or somewhere in between?

The possibilities are endless...from car top sailing kayaks to trailerable ocean-going small yachts to seven figure high performance palaces.

The possibilities for "keeping" a boat are as well...from your garage or your barn or your yard to a marina or a condo slip.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.