canadian boat registration, adding canadian to bill of sale - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-12-2014 Thread Starter

canadian boat registration, adding canadian to bill of sale

I have purchased a boat, a pdq 36, and am un documenting it with the uscg. I am a us citizen, my girlfriend is a canadian. We would like to add her to the bill of sale, or create a new one, and register the boat in canada. The boat is in fl, but not registered yet, and will be In the caribbean in 2 weeks. We have no intentions of bringing the boat back to the us or canada. Any ideas? Will it be possible to have a canadian and a us citizen on a canadian registered vessel? i have already paid the us sales tax.
Thanks!
Rhett and Kate
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-12-2014
Reward for lost Kraken!

Re: canadian boat registration, adding canadian to bill of sale

Rhett, there is no US sales tax on boats.

You probably paid the Florida state and county sales tax on it.

If you've already paid sales tax, you've already bought the boat, and the name(s) that are currently on the title (which you should have gotten at the time of purchase) are going to determine who you can put on papers, along with national laws.

I have no idea what Canada will allow you to do though. That may vary with the specific province, as well as Canadian national law. I would be surprised if they will allow national titling to a non-citizen (you) and if you are the listed title holder currently, you may need to transfer ownership (or at least majority ownership) to her.

No doubt some of our Canadian members will come along to tell you what the options are for that--but you'll need to tell them who is currently on the title and the bill of sale. (Presuming you do have a Florida state title for the boat? Or it was last US documented by the prior owner? and transferred to ?? )
post #3 of 15 Old 07-12-2014 Thread Starter

Hellosailor,
Thanks for the response! You are correct, i paid the fl taxes on it. My name is the only name on the bill of sale. I dont have a title yet, because it was a uscg docummented vessel and refistered in maine, where they dont require state registration. Apparently the doccumentation is the title. So i have no title yet, as i am waiting undoccumentation papers still. I can get a fl title and registration once those papers arrive, but would rather register it in canada. Id be fine transferring ownership to her, however i dont want to pay sales taxes again, so id sell it to her for $1 i guess.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-12-2014

I'm not sure how Florida's tax laws work but it sounds like it may already be registered under the name of who ever paid the taxes. Others may know better.
If you plan on importing the boat into Canada you will be faced with a 15% tax levy on the value paid for the boat. If our wonderful Government feels that you have devalued the boat they will go by a similar market value. All boats in Canada are registered under the Canada Shipping Act.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...-2311.htm#faqs

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...NmZCZ5viqgQnOQ

We have three rules;
No screaming.
No bleeding on the sails.
No slobbering on the charts.

Last edited by Dog Ship; 07-12-2014 at 01:29 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-12-2014
Just another Moderator

Not positive but I think you need a Canadian residence (at least) to register as Canadian. No Canadian taxes or duties will be payable as long as the boat is not imported into Canada. Sorry, not sure how Canada would treat a dual nationality title.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 15 Old 07-12-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

She should have no problem registering the boat in Canada. If you want to cruised do not go with provincial licensing, just federal registration. If the boat was documented in the US you will need to provide prove that it has been removed from USDG list. This is not a casual undertaking. We had it done by a documentation service. As well as that piece of paper you will need a bill of sale from you to your girlfriend. I doubt they would accept $1 on the bill of sale but there is no Canadian tax payable until you physically take the boat to Canada (our boat has never been to Canada and that is quite common).

The boat is registered by name and every name must be unique. There is an online list of names. Best to send in three choices or so in case the first one has been taken in the last few weeks. Once you have Canadian registry you need to get a US cruising permit. This should be easy but sometimes can be a bit awkward as some of the officials do not really know their own rules.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
post #7 of 15 Old 07-12-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

I notice a couple of other Canadian comments. Yes you need a Canadian address but that is all. You should ask about dual ownership. Your boat was made in Canada so there is no duty. You would have to pay HST or equivalent federal and provincial sales taxes. In Ontario it is 13%.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
post #8 of 15 Old 07-12-2014
Reward for lost Kraken!

"so id sell it to her for $1 i guess. "
Some tax agencies will allow some "sales" for "one dollar and other goods and consideration" or other particular terms. Others will not. For instance, in most US states if you buy a motor vehicle (including boats) they will look up the blue book value, and if your bill of sale is for significantly less, they'll say "Sorry, no, the value is XYZ and you'll pay tax on that or else."

So, the ball is already in play.

The "undocumentation" also is already in play, you might want to call the vessel documentation center (universally praised for being helpful and competent folks) to ask them when and how the title will be issued, presumably in your name. I don't know what kind of title you'll be getting from that, but that will also determine how you would have to modify or transfer the title.

And from there, your girlfriend should know (G) if it is Revenue Canada or whoever that has to be contacted to obtain Canadian registry for the boat. Try to get your answers by email or by paper mail, or at least get web sites to confirm what you are told--officially. It is easy to make a mistake with these things and once it is made and put into the system, often impossible to correct without great expense.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-12-2014
Dirt Free

I'm involved in this stuff all the time as a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer.

Only Canadian citizens or Canadian Corporations may own any share in a Canadian Registered Vessel.

Yes, you may transfer it to your girlfriend for "$1 and other considerations". This is routine in transferring between family members.

You will pay no tax on the vessel unless it enters Canadian waters.

There is no such thing as "Provincial Licensing". Both Registry and Licensing are Federal jurisdiction. Non-Canadian citizens may own a Canadian Licensed Vessel which would be fine for the US and Bahamas but further afield few other countries would recognize the License and checking in would become a major headache if not impossible in some countries.

You will have to hire a Transport Canada Tonnage Measurer to calculate tonnage for registry.
Faster likes this.

Dirt People Scare me
post #10 of 15 Old 12-12-2014

Well if you are going sailing in Caribbean and have no intention to bring the boat back to USA and Canada then why not get it registered in Caribbean itself? For registering purposes you can opt for and take complete advantage of St.-Kitts & Nevis’s legislation and its favorable tax regime. Moreover the process of getting your yacht registered is very simple. I had used the services of
registertaxfree.com, who have a stellar past record in helping many business personals and diplomats before.

Though I dreaded at the start but the process turned out to be very simple, I just had to email them the filled-in, signed and scanned application form for the registration accompanied with all the necessary documents in digital format.This was enough for getting hold of Provisional set of St. Kitts & Nevis documents allowing my boat to start trading under its flag. You can contact them, you can also Google to find other service providers.

Last edited by alex.periera; 12-12-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.