SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Looking for new small boat. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/1540-looking-new-small-boat.html)

mattbarn 06-19-2001 06:52 PM

Looking for new small boat.

I have enjoyed sailing for the past six years, with friends and on other people''s boats, 3 years ago, i got a laser of my own to begin learning the fine art of small boat sailing. I am looking to upgrade to a larger/faster/more challenging boat, but not anything extremely large, (preferably a boat that can be carried on top of a car, or that comes with a trailer). I have heard that a laser 2 might be a good next boat for me, but i am not sure about weather i can find one around here. (i live in Severna Park, Maryland). If any one has a reccomendation, i would love to hear it, especially if you have a boat that you want to sell. Thank you.

quicksilver 06-20-2001 07:13 AM

If you are looking for a fast sailing boat to continue to build your small boat sailing skills, you might try the 505. They are not extremely popular in North America but they are an Olympic sailing class boat. I have crued on this boat several times with a very accomplished sailor and friend and in my humble opinion, you will be hard pressed to find a more exciting boat to sail. Keep in mind this boat requires a single crew member who will be out on a wire and controlling the gib or spinaker while the skipper steers and controls the main.

For even more exicetement (but far tippier boat) you can try the 490 skiff. Both the skipper and crew are out on the wire. There is a whole category of skiffs to choose from which can carry up to 3 crew members. But those are pretty fast and demanding boats that require a lot of skill and teamwork.

Catamarans, like a hobie 16,18, or 21 are another good choice and are far more stable and easy to sail. All are easily trailerable by most cars.

Hunter makes a 14, 17 and 21 foot trailerable boat. The 21 is especially nice and quite spacious. It can easily handle a crew of 4 or 5 (especially if 2 are kids) for a day. Don''t let the size fool you - it is very easy to pull with an average sized automobile. It is not a racing boat but has quite a nice sail area so I think it moves along fairly smartly. It is also very stable and friendly to sail. Pretty too.

Good luck.

JeffH 06-20-2001 05:29 PM

Just for the record, the 505 is not an Olympic sailing class and never has been. They were beat out by the Flying Dutchman. Of the two I have always found the 505 more fun but more difficult to sail.

Jeff

quicksilver 06-22-2001 09:56 AM

D''Oh! You''re correct Jeff.

I should have said the 490. Which, by the way, is another good little fast boat.

JeffH 06-22-2001 04:03 PM

You probably actually meant to say either the 470 or a 49er but it was a slip of the key board away.
Cheers
Jeff