SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   What do you say to a Glander? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/1553-what-do-you-say-glander.html)

Headman 06-22-2001 05:57 PM

What do you say to a Glander?

We are looking for a gunkholer with a three foot draft or less. What do you think of the Glander 33? Be honest. Don''t hold back. We haven''t bought it, yet.
Tom S.

JeffH 06-23-2001 12:05 PM

Typically I suggest that you say, ''Goodbye''. These were strange boats that have their own small cult following. From previous discussions I came away with the opinion that they are fairly heavy but not that sturdy or well built. The only one I can remember being aboard was very crudely built and poorly detailed. They do not have a reputation for being good sailers either.

In that general size and draft range range there are other boats that are better sailers and perhaps better constructed. A couple that come to mind are the 1960''s and early 1970''s era Morgan 34 (not an Out Island), or the 1970''s era Tartan 34''s.

Good luck
Jeff

Headman 06-23-2001 06:46 PM

Thank you for the information. I agree with you about the some of the older production boats being very well suited to our needs. Another that has peaked my interest is the Pearson 35 ( the early ''70''s models with a keel centerboard). What do you think?
Tom S.

JeffH 06-24-2001 06:00 AM

I have always liked the Pearson 35''s and have seen some beautifully maintained ones for quite reasonable prices. Of course all of these are older boats and as such need very thorough surveys.

Jeff

rohoke 04-30-2011 01:07 PM

jeffH....You obviously know little about Glander boats. They are a Kit Boat and can surely be poorly detailed. The readers here would be better served by the advise of one that went aboard more than one boat ...I built and owned a glander Tavana for 25 years and cruised the Bahamas for three months a year on my boat..They are extremely strong and very fast, not to mention stiff and comfortable...I would be happy to pass on any information that someone might find useful, regarding this boat.

flaco69 07-10-2011 10:59 PM

hello i am looking to purchase a glander 33 from a friend here in miami fl , needs lat of work if i need help will be looking for you, thanks

tdw 07-11-2011 02:06 AM

Flaco, mate .... I dont want to give you a hard time but you have just replied to a thread that is over ten years old.

On other matters oh SailNet oficionados .... who I wonder was this Guest JEFFH. Is it possible ? The very chrysalis of an aspiring curmudgeon ?

Lou452 03-29-2012 11:44 PM

Re: What do you say to a Glander?

The nice thing about a ten year old thread is history. If we do not learn from the past we will repeat it. This can be a good or bad thing as long as we know. Very little to go on about Glanders. Sailboat data gives a few numbers but no history.

deniseO30 03-30-2012 10:08 AM

check out this beauty! 1985 - 33 Glander Tavana Sloop - Star Dust

Jeff_H 03-30-2012 02:31 PM

For what it is worth, I basically agree with Rohoke that it would have been nice to have someone else comment who knew the boats better than I did. That is why I added the description of my minimal experience with these boats.

My recollection is that the original poster had sent me a P.M. asking me to please comment on the boat since no one else had. In fairness, I had previously researched these boats for an aquaintance and so had spoken to several former owners, a surveyor who had surveyed one or more, and had been aboard the specific boat that this acquaintance wanted to buy. After the boat was purchased I only recall hearing one more time from that acquaintance and he was pretty harsh on the build quality, and sailing ability of his boat. My comments represented what I had learned from my observations and in those conversations.

As Rohoke (who apparently built these boats) pointed out, these were kit boats, which like any other kit boat, varied in build quality, and detailing with the individual builder. And as Rohoke also pointed out, it would have been useful to have a more detailed desciption from someone who knew a number of these boats first hand.

And Yes, that was me posting under another earlier but similar name all those many years ago. I started posting on SailNet in the mid-1990's. At some point around the time that SailNet changed management I ended up with two user names since none of us old timers could use our old passwords. That mess was cleaned up at some point.