Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2001

Headman is on a distinguished road
What do you say to a Glander?

We are looking for a gunkholer with a three foot draft or less. What do you think of the Glander 33? Be honest. Don''t hold back. We haven''t bought it, yet.
Tom S.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2001
JeffH

Typically I suggest that you say, ''Goodbye''. These were strange boats that have their own small cult following. From previous discussions I came away with the opinion that they are fairly heavy but not that sturdy or well built. The only one I can remember being aboard was very crudely built and poorly detailed. They do not have a reputation for being good sailers either.

In that general size and draft range range there are other boats that are better sailers and perhaps better constructed. A couple that come to mind are the 1960''s and early 1970''s era Morgan 34 (not an Out Island), or the 1970''s era Tartan 34''s.

Good luck
Jeff
Old 06-23-2001

Headman is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the information. I agree with you about the some of the older production boats being very well suited to our needs. Another that has peaked my interest is the Pearson 35 ( the early ''70''s models with a keel centerboard). What do you think?
Tom S.
Old 06-24-2001
JeffH

I have always liked the Pearson 35''s and have seen some beautifully maintained ones for quite reasonable prices. Of course all of these are older boats and as such need very thorough surveys.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2011

rohoke is on a distinguished road
jeffH....You obviously know little about Glander boats. They are a Kit Boat and can surely be poorly detailed. The readers here would be better served by the advise of one that went aboard more than one boat ...I built and owned a glander Tavana for 25 years and cruised the Bahamas for three months a year on my boat..They are extremely strong and very fast, not to mention stiff and comfortable...I would be happy to pass on any information that someone might find useful, regarding this boat.
Old 07-10-2011

flaco69 is on a distinguished road
hello i am looking to purchase a glander 33 from a friend here in miami fl , needs lat of work if i need help will be looking for you, thanks
Old 07-11-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Flaco, mate .... I dont want to give you a hard time but you have just replied to a thread that is over ten years old.

On other matters oh SailNet oficionados .... who I wonder was this Guest JEFFH. Is it possible ? The very chrysalis of an aspiring curmudgeon ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-29-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you say to a Glander?

The nice thing about a ten year old thread is history. If we do not learn from the past we will repeat it. This can be a good or bad thing as long as we know. Very little to go on about Glanders. Sailboat data gives a few numbers but no history.
Old 03-30-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

check out this beauty! 1985 - 33 Glander Tavana Sloop - Star Dust

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

For what it is worth, I basically agree with Rohoke that it would have been nice to have someone else comment who knew the boats better than I did. That is why I added the description of my minimal experience with these boats.

My recollection is that the original poster had sent me a P.M. asking me to please comment on the boat since no one else had. In fairness, I had previously researched these boats for an aquaintance and so had spoken to several former owners, a surveyor who had surveyed one or more, and had been aboard the specific boat that this acquaintance wanted to buy. After the boat was purchased I only recall hearing one more time from that acquaintance and he was pretty harsh on the build quality, and sailing ability of his boat. My comments represented what I had learned from my observations and in those conversations.

As Rohoke (who apparently built these boats) pointed out, these were kit boats, which like any other kit boat, varied in build quality, and detailing with the individual builder. And as Rohoke also pointed out, it would have been useful to have a more detailed desciption from someone who knew a number of these boats first hand.

And Yes, that was me posting under another earlier but similar name all those many years ago. I started posting on SailNet in the mid-1990's. At some point around the time that SailNet changed management I ended up with two user names since none of us old timers could use our old passwords. That mess was cleaned up at some point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-30-2012 at 02:39 PM.