Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014

gptyk is on a distinguished road
Re: $1500 Catalina 27

And, there's a Cat27 for $5K that's sail-able just about everywhere. For the $3500 difference you'll get way more than $3500 worth of value.

The $1500 boat is better termed "parts," and since the keel isn't lead, it's not worth that as parts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I bought a Cal 25 for $1900 that had a good set of sails (including a spinnaker and pole), and 9.9 outboard in good condition. All I had to do was give it a desperately needed bottom job and it was fun day sailor (the interior was trashed when I bought it and only a little better when I sold it).

But, I had a lot of fun on that boat (I kept it on a mooring on a creek off of the Severn River) near Annapolis.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 08-13-2014

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road

A person in the desert somewhat near here in SoCal had a nice enterprise going buying sailboats cheap, cutting off and cutting up the lead keels and selling the lead. Then he would sell whatever parts were saleable. He did a lot of C27s specifically because it was a solid lead keel, not lead shot, and didn't have filler such as bricks, etc.

But as to the OP's question, mid 70s C27s just aren't worth very much. Some obviously more than others, but really not worth a substantial investment of time and money. I have one and I like it, but I know what it is really worth in dollars, too.

Last edited by jgeissinger; 08-13-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2014

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

Yeah, listen to Smack and others. I bought my C27 Tall Rig for 2K and it had new interior covers, everything intact, 5 headsails (in various condition), and I sailed that day. Put another $2K in it so far and it is great.

But you WILL NOT do that. Just the missing parts will run you up that much. There are just too many "ready to sail" C27s to buy. And all of those need somne work, really they do.

I bought a couple of projects before, and you want one ready to go. Even a sailable boat is enough of a project!

They all look great when they are cheap, but gettingon the water first is the key. Better to buy a POS and learn what is important, and what costs a lot, then scrap it and buy a boat you can enjoy.
Dfok and Group9 like this.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Old 08-13-2014

weinie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Put more money into a boat that's in the water and ready to sail. I can't stress that enough.

You either want to restore boats or you want to sail. The two don't usually mix very well. You'll always work on your boat in improvements and maintenance - so you get that "benefit". But at least you'll be having a blast between projects, watching the long-faces of the poor restoring bastards watch you leave the marina. You might even invite them out to remind them what they're working toward.
On flip side, however, when one does all the work to "restore" a boat, you learn more about your boat and boat systems in general than you could ever learn with a "ready to sail" boat.

At least I think I know a lot

But the junker I bought was pretty sailable (and motorable) before I threw my wallet and hard labor at it. I upgraded it as I went.
Old 08-13-2014

Ward H is on a distinguished road

"I guess someone has stolen the drop boards and the exterior teak work"
I'm sure whoever stole the teak did not plug the holes to prevent core damage and water damage to the interior. Sounds like a major project boat.
Pass.
Old 08-13-2014

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinie View Post
On flip side, however, when one does all the work to "restore" a boat, you learn more about your boat and boat systems in general than you could ever learn with a "ready to sail" boat.
Still, any 20-30 year old boat (or more) may be sail away, but will still need enough work that you will get to know her better than you may want to.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Old 08-18-2014

dalepaulson is on a distinguished road

just buy something thats already ready and in order
Old 08-18-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Ask some people who are doing project boats if they would do it again. I think 90% of them would say "No way!"

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 08-18-2014

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
Consider what you'll have when you are done with a total refit... an updated Catalina 27. Worth maybe 10 grand if the stars align (after you put 15 grand and countless hours into it). I made a similar mistake refitting a Hinterhoeller HR28, I love the boat but it has no pedigree.

I thoroughly enjoyed refitting my boat, but if I were to do it again, I'd choose something with some cache... rewiring a Catalina is the same effort and expense as a Sabre, Tartan, Ericson or even more upscale boat. But when you are done you have a better boat.

Would you rebuild a Dodge Dart or a Camaro?

Tags
buying a boat , catalina 27 , project boat , rebuild , restoration