Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014

jwatt083 is on a distinguished road
$1500 Catalina 27

Hey guys, I have come across a '76 Catalina 27 for $1500. I guess the guy bought it as a derelict at a marina auction a year ago or so for a friend. Said friend never decided to buy the boat from him, so he is trying to get rid of is so that he doesnt have to pay slip fees anymore.

I'm wondering what all things "must" be in good condition for a boat of that price. I have a few dollars to invest in repairs and refitting, so thats not a problem, Especially at that price. All of the standing rigging is present, and sails look to be ok. Has an atomic 4 that he has never started, but I'm pretty good with small gas motors so i'm pretty confident that I can make her go so long as the bottom end has not come unglued.

This thing is definitely a project to put it gently. I guess someone has stolen the drop boards and the exterior teak work, but I'm trying to figure out what faults this boat could have to make me run away. I found another thread on this from '09 and was hoping for some more info. One of the guys on that thread said to check:
-Title
-Hull
-Engine
-Deck

I dont want to get into a re-core project or have to do any major hull repairs. Other than that, what do you guys think that I should be mindful of? It has apparently been in the water for a while, so it is due for a bottom paint as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by jwatt083; 08-13-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2014

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: $1500 Catalina 27

You'll probably invest more in the boat that it ends up being worth, especially if it has an Atomic 4. You'll hear a lot of responses from people that say they love theirs, but when you turn around to sell it, a lot of buyers will snub their nose at the gas engines.

You'll want to evaluate the cost of what you could sell the finished boat for and make sure it's a project worth taking up. With most projects, you'll lose money, but the loss can be mitigated by restoring the right type of boat and your enjoyment of the restored boat. We sold our restored Cape Dory 27 for around 80% of our investment in the boat. IMHO, Catalina 27's are not worth restoration, they are a dime a dozen and, especially the older models, the selling result will be mediocre compared to some other manufacturers. With a C27, you could easily spend 50% of the value just performing delayed maintenance (rigging, sails, etc).

If you decide to go forward, you'll want to inspect everything you normally do and prioritize what needs to be done to the boat. Some items (deck repairs, keel repairs, hull repairs, rudder, etc) can all cost thousands on their own, then you add the cost of rigging replacement, sails, bottom paint, and so forth, it starts to add up. If you are doing it to save money and do a "restoration finance", some items can wait (e.g. paint), but others can't (rigging, sails, etc). You'll have to prioritize based on your budget. It obviously helps if you can do the work yourself, but then you have to ask if it's worth your time vs a boat that is more worthy of restoration?

I enjoyed restoring our last boat, it was a fun project, but we were only able to sail her about half the time we had her due to constant work being done. The end result is a boat we knew well, but rarely had the time to enjoy before moving on.

Then don't get me started on our new "not project" boat...
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by Shinook; 08-13-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2014

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

All depends on the condition. Frankly, for $1500 I wouldn't expect much. All depends on your willingness and ability to do projects. For me the problem with a boat like that is that you are now the one taking on the slip fees which will add up to more than $1500 pretty quick.
Old 08-13-2014

weinie is on a distinguished road

Just buy my '87 for $20K. I've already done the work and sweated for you. And it'll still be cheaper what you have in mind.

ETA: here's what I had to do (and it's not really for sale).
new sails and sail cover
new asym and hardware
new running rigging
mast, spreaders, and standing rigging (previous owner)
new lifelines
teak restored
new compass binacle
new autopilot
new vhf w/ dcs
new cockpit cushions
new cabin cushions and curtains
new windex
new prop shaft, cutlass bearing, stuffing box
2 new deep cycle house batteries
1 new starting (reserve) battery
new battery charger
new battery combiner
engine compression tested above spec
new water pump
Racor fuel filter installed
new cooling hoses and fuel lines
new governor spring
new fuel bleeder valve
upgraded alternator bracket
new gauges
new blower
freshwater tank cleaned and inspection port added
new freshwater hoses
new galley faucet
new head faucet
new electric head
new bilge pump and switch
new propane locker and stovetop
35w solar panel with controller
new shore power outlet and power cord
new anchors (2)
new docklines, fenders

not to mention countless hours fixing leaks, rebedding, and general tweaking of everything.

Last edited by weinie; 08-13-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-13-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

the biggest issue with the catalina 27 disregarding everything else related to a big prioject is the condition of the keel bolts and keel hull joint

if that is the reason for the low price you can fix it easily with the supplied keel kit catalina still sells

of its not and the keel is in good shape then look for issues elsewhere

just cause its 1500 doesnt mean its scrap and you have to invest 20k...

sometimes you get lucky and if you are knowledgeable enough certain fixes can get you back on the water and sailing for pennies.
Egonfrech likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 08-13-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

I bought a $1500 Coronado 25 and it was mostly elbow grease and a few accessories, if you get it make a list of the stuff you need NOW, marine swapmeets are a blessing also put ads in Craigslist(s) of parts you need and for the right price you might get 50% or more off. The most important thing is the underbody and it's components ie... Thru hulls and seacocks, rudder, keel, blisters. The engine is not a big deal, you can toss it and mount an OB if need to, many C27's have OB power. have a rigger give you an inspection, could be the best $150.00+ you spend for piece of mind knowing the rig should stay up. Sails can be bought used at many different places. Gluk (good luck) and keep us posted...

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

Old 08-13-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road

There are about 8 similar boats awaiting auction at the Harbor Patrol dock in my marina, I'm pretty sure they'd let you have ALL of them for $1500.
Old 08-13-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Put more money into a boat that's in the water and ready to sail. I can't stress that enough.

You either want to restore boats or you want to sail. The two don't usually mix very well. You'll always work on your boat in improvements and maintenance - so you get that "benefit". But at least you'll be having a blast between projects, watching the long-faces of the poor restoring bastards watch you leave the marina. You might even invite them out to remind them what they're working toward.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-13-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinie View Post
Just buy my '87 for $20K. I've already done the work and sweated for you. And it'll still be cheaper what you have in mind.

ETA: here's what I had to do (and it's not really for sale).
new sails and sail cover
new asym and hardware
new running rigging
mast, spreaders, and standing rigging (previous owner)
new lifelines
teak restored
new compass binacle
new autopilot
new vhf w/ dcs
new cockpit cushions
new cabin cushions and curtains
new windex
new prop shaft, cutlass bearing, stuffing box
2 new deep cycle house batteries
1 new starting (reserve) battery
new battery charger
new battery combiner
engine compression tested above spec
new water pump
Racor fuel filter installed
new cooling hoses and fuel lines
new governor spring
new fuel bleeder valve
upgraded alternator bracket
new gauges
new blower
freshwater tank cleaned and inspection port added
new freshwater hoses
new galley faucet
new head faucet
new electric head
new bilge pump and switch
new propane locker and stovetop
35w solar panel with controller
new shore power outlet and power cord
new anchors (2)
new docklines, fenders

not to mention countless hours fixing leaks, rebedding, and general tweaking of everything.
then you can buy mine for 18!
weinie likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 08-13-2014
s/v Dream Weaver

clip68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Put more money into a boat that's in the water and ready to sail. I can't stress that enough.

You either want to restore boats or you want to sail. The two don't usually mix very well. You'll always work on your boat in improvements and maintenance - so you get that "benefit". But at least you'll be having a blast between projects, watching the long-faces of the poor restoring bastards watch you leave the marina. You might even invite them out to remind them what they're working toward.
This is EXACTLY right. We are still pending money/time on our boat but we are sailing her! It makes all the work worth it.

-Chris

Tags
buying a boat , catalina 27 , project boat , rebuild , restoration