Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2014

Acameronp is on a distinguished road
Auction Boats?

Has anyone ever purchased their boat through an auction? I saw a boat that fit the bill for me at 50k, but in the bidding process do you get the time to have it professionally inspected, or is it sold "as is"?

Thanks!
CP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2014

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Auction Boats?

If it's an auction, how do you know the price?

I bought my present boat at auction (at the second attempt) and before that bid on but didn't win a couple. It is usually strictly "as is, where is". For a conventional auction, there is a viewing day and I guess you could turn up with a surveyor but do you really want to pay a surveyor for a boat you may not win? If you aren't comfortable spending a few hours crawling all over a boat and then figure out what you know, what you don't know and how big a risk you are willing to take, I would say an auction isn't for you.

True auction boats have usually have been repossessed and often were neglected prior to that. i.e. they usually have issues and sometimes issues that aren't obvious. You also need a really good idea of what the boat is worth and you won't figure that out from one evening looking at Yachtworld.

I know nothing about the online sealed bid type auctions but I don't trust them.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2014

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

They're almost always as-is. It's a bit of a gamble, with the risk of getting a money-pit or getting something of a diamond in the rough for a good price.

2 people on my dock recently took over ownership of their boats via auction. Really, really good deals. Like a 26' islander for $100 and a 28' ericson for $1800.

Then again if you win it, you'll need it inspected anyways, and then you can decide whether to sell flip it and sell it or keep it.

$50,000 auction? That's insane.
Old 08-15-2014

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Never have bought a boat at auction but did recently sell a boat at auction. Didn't get the amount I bought it for but fairly close. During the auction the boat was not really available for inspection as I was actively cruising at the time. I did show it to a couple of people when it worked out.

The winner of the auction drove 3 hrs to come look at the boat after the auction. He was satisfied and we agreed on a hand over date. The buyer even wanted to pay the bid amount a couple of weeks before the hand over but we told to wait because, as I said, I was still actively cruising. The buyer, through his own volition, did transfer the money a couple of days prior to the hand over. There was no title to the boat but I did sign a document saying that to the best to my knowledge there were no liens on the boat.

We didn't have any problems except the buyer had no concept of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Bought a few small boats on eBay charity auctions. In every case it was a good buy, I fixed them up and sold locally making a decent profit. If you know what you are doing, auctions can be a great source. The only way I would buy a $50K boat at auction would be if I knew I can easily sell it for $80K with just a small investment of my time and money. It is a very soft market for boats now so I would be very picky what I buy for that kind of money.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.