Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2001

upwindbeat is on a distinguished road
Catalina27 help with Survey

I am looking into the purchase of a Catalina
27 LE 1994. The problem is the boat is out of
the water on a cradle 2 hour drive from my
location. How do I get this boat surveyed?
Does it need to be in the water? The seller
seems to think I need to pay to have the boat
moved to the lake and pay for the slip? The
boat looks clean overall, the owner says the
engine was well maintained, but I do not feel
comfortable on just his word. Also I do not
know much about the Catalina, are there any special problem areas I should watch out for
in this model? Any input would be greatly appreciated..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road

First you have to hire a reputable surveyor. It is certainly possible to survey a boat that is out of the water and there are many advantages to this:
You can check the bottom for blisters, wet spots in the hull and other damage. You can inspect thru hulls etc.
Your main problem in this case is the engine. One common thing to do is to have a good chunk of money in escrow specifically to cover problems with the engine. This is what I did when I bought my last used boat, and it was winter in Wisconsin--no boats in the water then.
Rob
Old 06-28-2001
JeffH

Typically it is the Buyer''s sole responsibility to pay all costs for the survey. This would typically include the cost to hire a surveyor, launch the boat for sea trial and engine testing, and rehaul the boat and returning it to storage if the owner of the boat so requires. You may be able to avoid launching by having the outboard taken to an outboard shop for testing. This means that you can inspect everything except sail shape and instrumentation. You might be able to escrow funds for the instruments pending launching. It is not that unusual to buy a boat that is far from your home. I have been involved in deals on boats that were as far away as North Carolina (6 hours away), Maine (which is 16 hours or a plane ride), and now I am considering a boat in South Africa. Buying boats at a long distance is obviously harder and more expensive than buying one in your own backyard but may be the best way to get what you want.

Jeff
Old 07-03-2001

upwindbeat is on a distinguished road

I understand that it my responsibility to
cover the cost of the survery, now the next
step is to find someone to do it.. We are
here in Central Indiana, not too many boat
surverors around, does anyone out there
know where to start???
Old 07-04-2001

SHIMSHON is on a distinguished road

Several suggestions:
1)ask at any of your local boat dealers
2)contact NAMS (National Association of Marine Surveyors)
3)call BOAT US and ask them for a list of marine surveyors for your state.
4)contact a local insurance agency which provides marine insurance and ask them for a recommendation.
5)ask other boaters.

Good Luck!
Old 07-04-2001

RobHoman is on a distinguished road

I don''t have the url''s handy but you can do a yahoo search or any other search engine search using "Marine Surveyors" as the search words and you will probably get a lot of information back.

Certainly as IN has lake front on Lake Michigan there will be surveyors up around Gary, Chicago, Michiana Shores or up into Michigan. My surveyor traveled from the West Coast of FL to the East Coast to survey a boat for me...they will travel. Just find out up front how much they charge for travelling. You DO want a survey....if I had a dollar for every person who bought a boat without a survey and regretted it later....well lets just say, Who needs the lottery?

Keep in mind that a surveyor is your protector, he doesn''t really concern hiself with the owners opinions....he is there to inspect the boat on a dispassionate professional level and give you his findings.
Keep in mind that if he finds problems requiring repairs...you then have the option to bail (if a satisfactory survey was a contract contingency) or require the owner to repair said faults.....or even negotiate the price down far enough to cover the repairs and maybe some inconvenience.