Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2014
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48
Purchasing Soon (hopefully)!

I am under contract for a 31 Bombay Clipper in Jacksoneville, FL.

This is the ad on yachtworld.

1982 Bombay Clipper 31 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The survey was supposed to be on Monday but the seller went to start it on Friday and ran into a problem. The starting solenoid caught fire... No major damage to the boat but it has postponed the survey.

I live in NJ and saw the boat when I was down there for work earlier in the year. So I have only seen it once and am not able to go down for the survey.

Assuming the survey goes well, my plan is to sail the boat from Jacksonville, to West Palm over the week of Thanksgiving. Then spend a couple weeks on her in the winter.

Anyway, that's my plan! I've been boatless for too long now. Just sharing with the group.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road
Re: Purchasing Soon (hopefully)!

Nice lookin' boat, hope all goes well with the survey. I would try to be at the survey as that is very important, although a good surveyors report will be a road map to any problems.
Gluk with the sale and sail... Keep us posted.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Looks nice in the pics. I'm trained over a lifetime to look for BS in ads. If I'm not mistaken, its motor hasn't been produced for nearly 20 years, yet it says it was "repowered". An overhaul at best, if I'm right. Be sure to know what that even means, there are no standards. The motor is probably half the value of what you are buying.

Still, looks pretty. Best of luck.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-17-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

But there are so many boats in our area! nice boat just the same, wishing you good luck

My boat is for sale.

Old 08-18-2014
leave my member alone

Minnewaska,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll certainly look into what they mean by that. The ad says that there are only 500 hours on the motor, so it would be good to know what they had done to it 500 hours ago to consider it rebuilt.

Denise,

There are so many boats up here! I thought it would be nice to have a boat in FL for our NE winter for a season. Plus the adventure of sailing up the coast was tempting also!

Old 08-18-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Looks nice in the pics. I'm trained over a lifetime to look for BS in ads. If I'm not mistaken, its motor hasn't been produced for nearly 20 years, yet it says it was "repowered". An overhaul at best, if I'm right. Be sure to know what that even means, there are no standards. The motor is probably half the value of what you are buying.

Still, looks pretty. Best of luck.
If I'm not mistaken, BC31s only came originally with Yanmar 2QM15 (raw water cooled) engines. At least that's what it said in the brochure I had when I sold my BC31 a couple of years ago. So I would agree, it has been repowered at some time. Agreeing with Minne it could have been yesterday day or yesterdecade and really means nothing. What does matter is the current condition of the engine. I lucked out, just before I sold my boat I came across a fresh rebuilt 2GM20 from a reputable diesel shop in Florida for less than a boat buck. It was a no brainer to replace my original, and still running fine, 2QM15.

I would have your surveyor take a hard look at the cabin top at the base of the mast and really closely inspect the ends of the compression post. They have been known to be an area that can be problematic. My compression post had been replaced with wood before I bought it. I looked at another Bombay that had a sagging cabin top and knew what the cause was. It's not an expensive or difficult fix, at least compared to a new motor, but it might be a bargaining chip in the purchase if it is not looking good. Also take a really good look at the water and fuel tanks. I ended up replacing my water tank due to corrosion. The fuel tank didn't look much better but never leaked so it wasn't touched.

Good luck. I had so much fun on my Bombay and hope you do on yours too.

You might also read what was written here if you haven't already. Bombay Clipper 31
Old 08-19-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Hope it all goes through smoothly for you.

I am certainly enjoying cruising on it's big brother the Explorer 44.
Old 08-20-2014
leave my member alone

FarCry, I'll certainly let the surveyor know about the weakness in the cabin top/compression post. How is you're old BC31 doing? I had actually talked to you briefly about it when you had it up for sale! I've read as much as I can about the boat here in this forum and any other references I could find. Can't wait to have a fat slow boat to go adventuring on!

TQA, I look forward to the day when I can get a boat of that caliber! How do you find the quality of a Caravel boat?

Old 08-24-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Chadfunk48, She is doing fine. I see her all the time in the same slip I kept her in. The new owner takes her out a couple of times a month. A couple of weeks ago we were in the same regatta and Far Cry was in position to win the whole thing, again, but they pulled out to get a very ill crew member to shore.

Now that you mention it I do recall some communication with you when she was for sale. The new owner is the first person to officially look at it and bought her on the spot. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 08-24-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Agree that if anyway possible, you need to be there for the survey. Four eyes are always better than two. Every survey I've had, I always saw something I asked my surveyor for a second look. Also, there's a lot of conversation between buyer and surveyor that won't show up in the report.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.