South Coast, MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2014

JoeLena is on a distinguished road
Re: Moving up in size. Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopDogg View Post
none in north america though...
With your budget that should not be a deal breaker.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Old 08-20-2014
1973 Viking 33

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post
With your budget that should not be a deal breaker.
really, It seems that would really add to the cost of buying one. Air fair, hotels, time spent... seems A lot of energy...
South Coast, MA
Old 08-20-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

A C&C 110 might fit your needs. It has over 6' headroom. I'm only 5' 7" so I don't need a lot of headroom. My friend was on my boat today. He's 6' 5" and could not stand up straight, so I think there is 6' 4" in most of the boat, a little less in the v berth. The sailing performance is great. There is a separate shower stall in the head, 2 burner propane stove with oven, refrigeration, etc.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2014
Catalina 400 MKII

Scotty C-M is on a distinguished road

We went with a Catalina 400MkII. The wife loves the interior and the large cockpit - and so do I. The boat sails great. It's well built and seaworthy. I love it. There are a lot of great boats out there for you to choose from. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2014

BryceGTX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopDogg View Post
So, Catalinas... these are great cruising boats with lots of creature comfort but, how do they sail?
We have a Catalina 400, conventional main, wing keel. We are in our 5th season with is boat and we have racked up 700 hours on the engine and considerably more on the sails. The 400 is one of those boats that is impossible not to love.

In my opinion, the 400 was the first of a radically different hull design from Catalina introduced in 1995. It was a flatter wider hull than previous designs. The hull designed was carried through into the 350 and 375. And now into the 5 series boats.

The flatter hull design results in a potentially faster boat than the more tradition hull. Combined with the relatively high ballast to weight ratio results in a boat that does not heel much. If our 400 is heeling 15 degrees, its because we are doing 10 or 11 knots.

I think the 400 is one of those sleeper boats. Most buyers are attracted to the huge aft cabin. Which seems to cater to the cruising crowd. That seems to place it squarely in the realm of a cruiser. However, our 400 has some sailing abilities that will put a grin on your face from ear to ear..

The boat is easily balanced to remove any trace of weather helm and remove the possibility of roundup in a gust if you so chose. This is particularly nice for cruising.

On the other hand, you can tweak the sails to put it on the edge at which point you will be rewarded with surprising speed that will put it well beyond what most would consider cruising.

Going up wind, I go at a very good clip with 90 degree tacks on the GPS. If the sails are properly tweaked. it will accelerate till the apparent wind is between 20 and 25 degrees. This seems to be the limit of the boat, basically it stops moving with a true wing of about 20-25 degrees. Not sure the exact angle.

All other points of sail are as to be expected. And sail trim can always result in a balanced helm if that's what you prefer.

Light wind sailing is quite surprising to me.. Anything above 120 degrees results in a smartly moving boat that will not disappoint even the racers blood in you. We do not have a spinnaker as I am not sure I consider it a necessity.

Fundamentally I am single handing the boat. My wife helps, but I do not depend upon her. Although she loves to take the helm and prefers to take part in raising and lowering the sails and during tacking.

We have been in numerous blows in the 35-45 knot region and the boat handles the wind and waves without protesting. Sails up the boat is always comfortable. Worst wind we have been in is 55 knots, gusting to about 70. (Sails down). I am thinking about a 60 sqft gale sail for winds above 40 knots. I feel the 100 is probably too big at 55 knots.

My wife loves the boat for its spacious layout and aft cabin. I am continually surprised by its performance. It is hard not to love the 400.

Please feel free to ask anything else about the boat..
Thanks,
Bryce

Last edited by BryceGTX; 08-21-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2014
Catalina 400 MKII

Scotty C-M is on a distinguished road

Yeah, What Bryce said.
Old 08-22-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

I'd start with the type of keel and rudder that I wanted.

More specifically, I'd look at Beneteaus. Our 505 is spacious and sails excellently. Of course, it's going to be more than $100K, but Beneteau has a big selection of boats and excellent spare parts and customer service. Ours was in the Moorings fleet but showed little if any signs of wear, so there's another option.

I'd also look on yachtworld at boats up to $130K. You could possibly talk them down to your price range.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...dedSelected=-1

There are some nice boats in there.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 08-22-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2014
1973 Viking 33

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys thank you so much for taking the time with the suggestions. Catalinas and Beneteaus are the best selling boats for a reason, right? Their owner's typically love them and really practice brand loyalty. I do continue to look at the ads for both boats. They do seem to hold their value too.

I've been in my C&C designed Viking 33 for 3 seasons and I'm very saddened to be letting her go. I've gone through everything mechanical including standing rig sails and motor. I just need more room.

I've been focusing on the C&C 37+ and 34+ as of late and there is actually a Norlin 37 a very respected friend is convinced is the boat for me. Apparently, it is a boat reputed to be in line with a Swan in regards to build quality and fit out and she sails as well as my Viking with standing head room throughout. She seems to have an amazing galley but no walk through transom or swim platform or a separate shower. I can add a swim platform and she already has a gated stern rail. The shower is the hard part of the sale... We want to spend more and more time aboard without feeling like we need more or, as we are now, the need to get off the boat.

I'm going to look at a C&C 37+ this weekend. It will be the 2nd boat we've seen since deciding to move up in size. I'm still looking at all boats in my on line searches and reading reviews where I can.

Danny
South Coast, MA

Last edited by SloopDogg; 08-22-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I am 6 foot and like the headroom in my boat. The saloon has nearly 7 foot and every other space has over 6' 5".

As for rejecting all modern boats... there is nothing compelling I can answer you for this as when people are set in their ways nothing will change them.

Good luck on your hunt

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.