Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2014
Boat shopping

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road
Re: Moving up in size. Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I am 6 foot and like the headroom in my boat. The saloon has nearly 7 foot and every other space has over 6' 5".

As for rejecting all modern boats... there is nothing compelling I can answer you for this as when people are set in their ways nothing will change them.

Good luck on your hunt

Mark
hi Mark, what kind of boat do you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopDogg View Post
hi Mark, what kind of boat do you have?
Beneteau 39

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Beneteau 39
Mark,

Didn't you complete a circumnavigation with your Beneteau 39?

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 08-22-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 5 Days Ago
Boat shopping

Hello again,
Okay, starting up an old thread and thanks again for the earlier suggestions.
I sold the Viking back in November and have looked at a number of boats.

A couple C&C 37+s, (we kind of like these but the raised cockpit for that nice aft cabit makes them feel very deep. Like your dropping down into a cavern and the portlights are above my wife's line if sight which really makes it feel cavernous for her)

a Tartan 40, (Made an offer but couldn't close the deal. Over priced for the amount of upgrading needed after purchase)

A couple Sabre 38s and a Sabre 425 (all of them were kind of rough and priced high considering the investment they'd need after purchase),

a Tartan 372 (Nice boat but the one I looked was WAY over priced),

A Jeanneau 40 (I've pretty much ruled these out to my wife's dismay.)

A tartan 3500 (too tight and dark below)

So, After a ridiculously horrible winter here in Massachusetts, I'm finally out and looking again. I've come across a Catalina 38. Its an old IOR design by S&S. the wife is okay with it. It is not our dream boat, as the stern is little pinched, no separate shower or walk thru transom. However, the cockpit is noticeably bigger than we had, the interior is much bigger than we had, The head is much bigger than we had, the price is at a point where we we could nicely update just about everything right out of the gate. I'm imagining that she'll handle very much like the Viking being they are both same era IOR designs. These boats are built to a very high standard. I've heard people call them "overbuilt." I'm close to throwing in an offer but just a little hesitant. I know if we bought this boat, sailing would be out for this season but next year, we'd have a nicely updated classic! The downside is, we'd probably upgrade again in a few years, these aren't the most sought after boats out there and I'll take another hit financially selling her. But that is what it is I guess. I think the viking fell into the very same category so I think there is always going to be buyers for nicely updated boats. Most people wait till everything like sails and standing rigging are at the end of they're usable life when selling. So, I boat with known dates on things like that are going to have some appeal if priced right.

Seems to still be a buyer's market out there. At least for the boats that interest me. Many have been on the market since last summer and are going through price reductions from my observations. I think the new boat market has picked up a bit and that has added some used boats to the market. However, I'm basing that on nothing but my own observations. I have no data to back any of that up.

Danny
Old 5 Days Ago
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Did you ever look at the 34+ It's a big 35.5. ft boat. Still has the separate shower stall, etc.

That's a lot of interior, probably not so cavernous, and, of course, it's a C&C So you can come to our Fall Rendesvouz'
Old 5 Days Ago
Boat shopping

HI Rob!

No I have not seen a 34+. I think I was searching from 37' to like 42'.

I may have to see what is available...

I thought former C&C guys could still come to the rendezvous! LOL

Danny
Old 4 Days Ago
al brazzi

albrazzi is on a distinguished road

Last time I checked there was a CS40 in MD around Annapolis I think.
I personally would look at that one but I just bought their 30 so I need to wait some more. I can attest to an outstanding build quality the more I see the more I like.
Old 4 Days Ago

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

Personally, I would not buy an old boat, miss a year of sailing, and be way upside down regarding money in vs selling price. I would also want something newer that has the features you want (swim platform, shower, etc.).

You can get a C&C 110 for your budget. For not too much more you can get a C&C 120, which is significantly larger. The 115 will be out of your budget.

Some other boats if you haven't considered them would be Hunter 380 models (I think they sail better than most people think) Catalina 380 if you can find one with the deep keel), Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 36, and Sabre 362.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Days Ago

Stonecutter36 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stonecutter36

Where are you sailing now ? Where do you expect to sail? We have cruise the Caribbean since 2007 and spend most of the time in the cockpit or reading, some times below if it raining . shore side activates are big events. even going shopping takes on a new form of adventure. The boat is mostly a form of getting there. Unless you are expecting to world cruise most passages are an over night or 2 nights (barely enough time to get into a rhythm) as for going fast my Winnebago (36 Bayfield) will do hull speed comfortably . most boats here are 30 pushing 40 + feet . I guess the headroom is the biggest thing I"m 6' 2" and the galley is a bump now and again We shower in the cockpit it keeps the boat dryer the head is mostly used as a wet locker ...other than the obvious other uses. I can't help with what boat to move into its like taking the wife out to get a new dress nothing is right till you try it on and then fashion.. good luck
Old 18 Hours Ago
Boat shopping

Thanks guys. All good points to consider!

I'll update on what I do next. But the Catalina 38 is looking interesting. I really don't know any boats that you're not going to take a hit on when you sell. However, I did thank about a Tartan 40. These boats sold for about 170k new and are still getting about 100k 25 years later. We looked at an 8 year old Jeanneau which was probably around 200k new and could have gotten it for 125K seems a MUCH harder hit on the Euro Production boat. It was also a lot worse for the wear after 8 years than the Taratn at 25 years... just and observation...

My last port was Westport Point Ma and believe We'll be returning there. as for the next few years, we'll be weekend sailors with an occasion week away now and then. So, I don't believe this next boat is going to be our last boat. We do want all those amenities and the C&Cs mentioned are very interesting to us. What are the C&C 115s so pricey?

Last edited by SloopDogg; 17 Hours Ago at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.