Best metal sailboat information - SailNet Community
 106Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 265 Old 09-04-2014 Thread Starter

Best metal sailboat information

Recently traded real estate that was very difficult to sell in Costa Rica for an immaculate 57' Steel Ketch. The vessel is in perfect shape without even one square millimeter of rust to be found. After listening to all the entertaining back and forth on Pros and Cons of Steel sailboats which ended after it's 10th season I would like some FACTUAL information on metal boats. I need to find out if my vessel needs to stay or go. The best source I have found, granted it is from one of the foremost metal sailboat builders, is the site below.

Metal Boats For Blue Water - Kasten Marine Design, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 265 Old 09-04-2014
El Chupa Nibre

Re: Best metal sailboat information

I hear Brent Swain is a wealth of information.
goat likes this.
post #3 of 265 Old 09-04-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

They are tough and they rust.

What else do you need to know?
bobperry likes this.
post #4 of 265 Old 09-04-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bubs View Post
I hear Brent Swain is a wealth of information.
Thanks, but I want reliable information from a professional who has valid information. I have heard enough BS rants on his use of coal tar epoxy and recycled materials. Kasten Marine seems like the best source I have located. Problem with Brent is he is basically a low budget DIY'er with information geared towards promoting his program of extremely cheap,
poorly designed boats that are really unattractive. He also has a habit of not answering questions that are adverse to his program or contradict what he has previously stated as fact.
Maine Sail and Mr. Bubs like this.
post #5 of 265 Old 09-04-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
They are tough and they rust.

What else do you need to know?
Certainly a wealth of knowledge you bring to the table there Captain.
post #6 of 265 Old 09-04-2014
Broad Reachin'

I am by no means a metal boat expert, but here's a bit of info about metal sailboats that was shared with me by Ted Brewer: The Metal Yacht - Aluminum & Steel Sailboat Perspectives
christian.hess and shank32095 like this.

Catalina 34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 265 Old 09-04-2014
merit 25 solo "er"

the problem shank is you went on that steel boat thread...which is ww3 and a bit more and absiluetly useless for anyone wanting information.

the fact that people still go there and get sucked into a vortex of stupidity and bashing baffles me, and makes me think people have even more time on their hands than me!

the other issue I feel is you are now slightly dissapointed in any advice you have received so far...

there are many of us who have been on steel boats, done maintenance on them, cruised on them, and work on them that would happily offer little tips here and there

I have seen some MAJOR work done replating a cruising steel french boat for example in panama that would absolutely destroy most cruisers dreams and hopes in a second

yet there was a dutch/german steel guy there that made the replating and major structural repair look so easy I got the steel bug too.

there is a wealth of information out there

just remember steel boats are worked on all around the globe and are for the most part easier to maintain than even glass boats...simple work just repetitive, and on schedule

never let a steel boat go too long as it WILL get beyond a point of proper repair

good luck!

beautiful boat btw

Islander 36 no longer for sale...its MINE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Planning maiden cruise for November-December 2015 to Panama Canal! The planning begins!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
shank32095 (09-04-2014)
post #8 of 265 Old 09-04-2014 Thread Starter

christian.hess

Another question for you or anyone else knowledgable on the subject. Say I wanted to enjoy the 57' Steel Ketch I recently got, sailing the South China Sea, Indonesia, OZ etc. for a couple years and then sell it. What location do you think might be the best market wise to sell an upper end Steel vessel?
post #9 of 265 Old 09-04-2014
merit 25 solo "er"

anywhere in the world???????????????????????????????????

id say the med first
panama lately has had a price spike regarding boats, it used to be you could get deals there a lot more than now.
thailand or neearby areas
carribean
new zealand maybe?

Im SURE there are better places, and poeple with up to date info on where is best to sell

for example in my opinion selling a high end steel boat in the states would be a long sell...unless you got that one perfect person who wants it just so!

and then basically all your online yachtworld.com type places that basically at that price range people come to you as do the brokers

btw my dad since passed used to be a yacht broker in puerto banus, marbella, spain.

back in the 80s that was THE place to buy and sell(for high end yachts)...some secrets he passed on, come to think about it...being a yacht broker might be something of a career I would love to get into later in life.

good luck
Dog8It likes this.

Islander 36 no longer for sale...its MINE!

Planning maiden cruise for November-December 2015 to Panama Canal! The planning begins!!!

Last edited by christian.hess; 09-04-2014 at 12:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
shank32095 (09-04-2014)
post #10 of 265 Old 09-04-2014
grumpy old man

Shank:
My guess would be Northern Europe where there is more of a tradition of quality built steel boats and more good examples of the type. They are not oddities in Europe.
christian.hess likes this.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.