Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2014

acem is on a distinguished road
Lowering the mast on a Cat 22 with auto fulrer?

I am going to look at a nice one owner Cat 22 (according to the seller - the original owner). The boat is reasonably priced and if I like it I will buy it when I get there and trailer it home (4 hours away). The boat has an auto furling rig on the jib. I have found plenty of instructions for raising and lowering the mast without the auto furler.

How do I take the mast down on a cat22 with an auto furler?

I dont want to damage anything.

Thx-Ace
Old 09-05-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Lowering the mast on a Cat 22 with auto fulrer?

Hello,

I owned a C22 back in 2003-4. My boat had a Furlex furler. Once the mast was down all I needed to do was remove the pin from the forestay to the stem on the bow. Other furlers may be different, but the Furlex was easy to use and easy to install / remove.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

It is just the same. The only difference is that there is more weight on the forestay. Should take the genoa off b/f lowering to reduce weight. Will help a lot if the previous owner shows you how to lower, and raise the mast.
Old 09-05-2014

krazzz is on a distinguished road

I also had a Catalina 22 with the Furlex. It really isn't any different. For me I would take the main halyard and attach it at the front cleat. I had quick releases and would remove the two front shrouds and loosen the two aft shrouds. Then I would add tension on the halyard until I could pull the pin on the furler. After that I just ease out the halyard until the mast is down. Could do it single-handed with no trouble at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzz View Post
I also had a Catalina 22 with the Furlex. It really isn't any different. For me I would take the main halyard and attach it at the front cleat. I had quick releases and would remove the two front shrouds and loosen the two aft shrouds. Then I would add tension on the halyard until I could pull the pin on the furler. After that I just ease out the halyard until the mast is down. Could do it single-handed with no trouble at all.
WARNING DO NOT FOLLOW THE ABOVE PROCEDURE.

As the mast nears horizontal you will not be able to control it and it will fall out of control the last few feet. It will result in a bent or broken mast and damage to the sliding hatch.

I had a Catalina 22 [ Jaguar 22 UK version same boat ] I had a X gallows made in 2 x 4 wood with short upper arms and notches in the base so it would stand on the cockpit seats.

I would start with the X at the front of the cockpit and leaning up against the bulkhead. Now as above until you get the pins out and slacken/release the halyard.

With your hands on the mast high up walk the mast back until it rests on the X. Get into the cockpit and lift the mast on your shoulder this allows you to push the bottom legs of the X together a little and put them on cockpit floor. Lower the mast in to the X. Take a deep breath the scary bit is over.

Now work the X to the back of the cockpit and lash it there. Pin out at the base of the mast and lift the mast on to the pulpit and X gallows for travelling.

I did this many many times sometimes on my own but if I could I would draft in a couple of helpers who would hold ropes that went to the top of the mast, they would walk back with the mast and prevent it from going sideways. In fact I think this was unnecessary but I was always happier if I had the two steadiers.

I reversed the procedure to raise the mast.

Now I am 6' 3 with reasonable upper body strength. If you are 5'2" with pipestems you might have someone taller standing by the first time.

There is another way to do it using something called a gin pole.

Gin Pole Mast Raising System - PY23 Paceship.mov - YouTube

It works but it needs more kit.

Last edited by TQA; 09-05-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2014

The procedure I use is similar to what you wrote. I just didn't think we needed to write a novel. The OP has researched it an seemed to know the details. I am standing in the cockpit while I ease out the halyard and lower it until I can reach it. Then I lower it by hand into a "crutch/support" (about 6-7' tall) that I have secured to the transom. I have used this method 60 to 70 times with no issues. If I was by myself I would use a gin pole to raise the mast.

Old 09-08-2014

acem is on a distinguished road

I bought the boat and the owner's helper helped my wife and me take it down. He had trailered the boat several times (in the 30 plus years he has owned it) when taking it to his dealer to have the bottom repainted, etc. I don't think he remembered how to do it just right but we did what he said.

We left all the sails, sail covers, boom, etc on. We released the two front shrouds. Then we tied a rope to the auto furler, unpinned the fulrler, and lowered the mast,boom sails & furler all together. Shouldn't the sails and boom be removed when lowering or raising the mast? It would seem to make it alot lighter. While I held up the mast assembly his helper removed the mast pin. Then we set the mast on the pulpit and top. We used old PFDs as cushioning under the mast.

We 'found' a large wasp nest in the mast while lowering it! I told everyone to be perfectly still and they did. The wasps eventually dissipated and no one got stung!

I plan to practice steping the mast at home before I take it out (when the winds start again in a few weeks). I want to make a 'crutch' to help hold the mast before then.

Thx-Ace

Last edited by acem; 09-08-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by acem View Post
Shouldn't the sails and boom be removed when lowering or raising the mast? It would seem to make it alot lighter.

Thx-Ace
Congrats! Yes, I usually remove all of that stuff as it does make it easier (and safer.)

Old 09-09-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

When I trailer sailed my C22 I would leave the mainsail on the boom, but take the boom off the mast when lowering the rig. I would leave the genoa on the furler when lowering the mast as well. For winter storage I took both sails off.

My trailer had a decent winch on the front for hauling the boat onto the trailer. I would use that winch to lower and raise the mast. I made a simple crutch that went in the cockpit so I could lower the mast all the way down without damaging the mast mounting plate on the deck.

Barry

Barry

Old 09-14-2014

DesertDreamer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

When I trailer sailed my C22 I would leave the mainsail on the boom, but take the boom off the mast when lowering the rig. I would leave the genoa on the furler when lowering the mast as well. For winter storage I took both sails off.

My trailer had a decent winch on the front for hauling the boat onto the trailer. I would use that winch to lower and raise the mast. I made a simple crutch that went in the cockpit so I could lower the mast all the way down without damaging the mast mounting plate on the deck.

Barry

Barry
Hi Barry,

I am currently waiting on a transfer from AZ to CT near Hartford.

Planning to buy a Catalina 22 swing keel as soon as I get the wife and I settled. I am brand new to sailing and it seems the Cat 22 is a great one to learn on.

Been reading tons online and purchased one book so far. "The Complete Trailer Sailor".

Saw your first boat was a Cat 22 so here's the question:

Did you raise and lower the mast and set up the boat to launch by yourself?

If so please give me a few details about that process.

Seems like there is a lot of info about doing that online but it all seems rather confusing to me, and hard to do alone.

Thanks,

Greg