Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009

robkardel is on a distinguished road
Point of correction. The Cape George 38 was a John Atkins design, as were the Alajuela 38, Ingrid 38, and Westsail 32. However,the Cape George 36 is a Edward Monk & Associates design, modified from the Cape George 38. You can confirm this by calling the Cape George Marine Works which builds both the Cape George 36 and 38, as well as others. There number is 360-385-3412 Robert
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Yachtworld shows 5 Cape George 36 for sale. 2 designer uncredited, 1 Cecil Lange, 1 Atkins/Lange and 1 William Atkins. My neighbor thinks his Cape George 36 was designed by Atkins. Cape George Yachts credits Atkins as inspiration and in their construction pdf do mention Monk and 3 other designers on the last page, at least one I believe employed by Cape George as he also took the photos in the pdf, with no specific design credited to any of them. The 36 is virtually a dead ringer for Atkins Tally-Ho Major design and while I believe Monk might have engineered it for fibreglass it is an Atkins design in my and others opinion.
Brian
Old 08-17-2009

Regardless of the designer of the Cape George 36, this thread is supposed to be about the Luger 30 which may be an ok weedender, but it's no Cape George by any stretch. I agree with Jeff as there are too many other choices in this market, many of them better than the Luger which was designed as a price beater to start with.
Brian
Old 08-17-2009

Regardless of the designer of the Cape George 36, this thread is supposed to be about the Luger 30 which may be an ok weekender, but it's no Cape George by any stretch. I agree with Jeff as there are too many other choices in this market, many of them better than the Luger which was designed as a price beater to start with.
Brian
Old 08-20-2009

robkardel is on a distinguished road
Luger Voyager

All boats are a comprise in design. For instance, a Catalina 22 does its design role very well. In fact, better than nearly all others for its size and cost and that is the reason that it is so popular. You would not, of course, take it off-shore for any serious sailing. The Luger Voyager likewise had a design goal. Where can you find a 30' sailing boat that has 6'4" headroom, legal width to haul yourself in any state, that you can easily load and unload from your own trailer, and one which you can launch,raise the mast and be off in about an hour to an hour and a half. You can use it for coastal cruising, take it to the Bahamas, or do limited off shore cruising. Having owned one for 5 years now I can assure you it will do all those things and do them very safely. You are correct it is not a Cape George 36, nor was it designed to compete with that type vessel. Luger Voyagers are very capable boats and for the price and convenience you will be hard pressed to match its capability and versatility. Try loading your Cape George (of any size) or a Catalina 30, or other similiar sized vessel on your trailer, transport it across 4 states and launch and sail in the Sea of Cortez, all in the span of 2days.