Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006

codmander is an unknown quantity at this point
1989 30 ft Luger voyager

is this a good open water boat for 3 person? has a removalable centerboard 3 ft up 6 ft down- havnt seen her first hand yet just some pics could probly pick her up for $6k-ish looks to be in ok shape (((even if i was to buy a peach still need to set her up to my likin)) all sails good- running riggin probly need replacement motor looks ok but big factor ((allthough i would probly rebuild it anyway) mast good maybe some topside soft spots looks leaky around portholes but hull looks real solid ((tank))
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2006

kit boat? yanmar has 300 hours hull solid
anyone know about these???
Old 05-24-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Walk don't run the other way. These boats were intended to be inexpensive kit boats that could be trailered. The glass work on these boats was dismal. The narrow beam, high freeboard and low ballast ratio made for a boat that sailed very poorly in any breeze up over 10-12 knots and the short rigs meant really dismal light air performance. As home built boast the build quality of the interiors, rigging and sailing gear, electrical and plumbing varied quite widely, but most of these boats were sold to people who were not sailers (experienced sailors shyed away from these boats because of the dubious naval architecture) and so the boats that I have been on were full of details that did not come close to meeting any kind of reasonable standard. That said I did a sea trial on one that had an absolutely beautifully finished interior built by a former cabinet maker. In contrast to the beautiful casework, the 12 volt electrical system used regular 110 v solid type residential wire, a residential screw in fuse box for the 110 v system, and 110 volt style switches on the 12 volt system. Clear water line was used for the head. You get the idea.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2006

thanks allthough this one looks built by someone who actully knew somthing since i want a boat to go offshore with the luger isnt it yes the shallow draft is appealin with the raisable centerboard but i would rather have the offshore tank such as a hunter considering the safty of my family is at stake anyhow im a lookin and a savin planned trip wife .son and myself leaving cape cod hopefully april/may 07 earliest april/may 08 the latest

thanks fer your imput-----------
Old 05-24-2006

southerly course
Old 08-15-2009

robkardel is on a distinguished road
1989 30 foot Luger Voyager

Just a note concerning the comments about a 30' Luger Voyager. I have owned an Alberg 22, Cape Dory 22, Cape Dory Typhoon, Cape Dory Typhoon Senior and a Grampian 26. I currently own and sail a Luger Voyager. The comments that she has a low ballast ratio is false - voyager have 3300 lbs of lead and a 7000 lb displacement. This makes for a 47% ballast to displacement ratio. The capsize ratio for the boat is 1.67 which is below most boats, including a lot of offshore cruisers. With a double reefed mainsail and a storm sail up front she is bullet proof - I have sailed often in 25 to 35 mph winds and it isn't even a challenge. You do have to be careful of who built the interiors since most were home built.
Old 08-15-2009

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
What is used for ballast? Is it lead?
Old 08-15-2009

Lead Ballast

Yes, since most of the Luger Voyagers had the swing keel option, 2500 lbs were in the fixed part of the keel (3 foot draft) and additional 800 lbs were in the swing portion of the keel which extends to, I believe, 6 foot.

With the swing keel down they are very stable boats in a blow.
Old 08-17-2009

Luger Voyager

Couple of other thoughts on the 30' Luger Voyager which I own and sail on a regular basis. The capsize ratio for the Voyager is 1.67 which is the same as for a Cape Dory 30'. This is a very good number and compares well with off-shore sailboats. It was disigned by Edward Monk and Associates which also designed such boats as the legendary Cape George 36, the Tradewinds 47, and the Monterey Clipper.
Old 08-17-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Cape George 36 was designed by John Atkins, not Ed Monk. Modified by Cecil Lange, owner of Cape George.
Brian