Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006

msl is on a distinguished road
O'Day 37 Center Cockpit

Comments welcome regarding an O'Day 37 (center cockpit) for Great Lakes and Atlantic coastal family cruising. Lots of anchoring out, while sailing Maine to Florida and Bahamas.
We usually keep a boat for years - so upkeep and repairs are understood - we are currently doing a full refit of our old (smaller) boat after years of heavy use - The O'Day 37 center cockpit looks like a good boat for coastal cruising, visits from friends and grandkids and so forth. It seems very affordable for the size, too.
  • Build quality
  • handling, comfort (we are inclined to wait for good weather for open seas)
  • comfort below - not looking for a floating "condo".
  • known weaknesses
  • best "plusses" - worst "minuses"
Thanks,
msl
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2011

wendellej is on a distinguished road
ODay 37 CC

I have an ODay 37 CC that we have been sailing for 10 years. We got it so my wife and I could have privacy in the rear cabin with our own head. I have had a long list of boats and this is a very good sailer. I am 6'2" and can move around below without hitting my head in the main or rear cabin. Maintenance has been good, less than my previous 31 footer. We have taken it offshore from the Chesapeake to Mass. The previous owner sailed it to the Carribbean and it did fine. It handles well and is easy to manuver in the marina. It is narrow by today's standards but that helps it sail well when the waves kick up. The build quality is better than most of the competetive boats from the early 80s (it is an 82) with the biggest drawback being a plastic rubrail and plastic ports. I am now looking at trading down to a 30 ft again since all the kids have moved away but it is hard to part with the 37.
E.J. Wendell
Old 02-08-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Doubt they much care, considering that they posted FIVE YEARS AGO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-08-2011

wendellej is on a distinguished road
OK, I obviously didnt realize that.
Old 02-08-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellej View Post
OK, I obviously didnt realize that.
Welcome to Sailnet....I'd recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. Also, recommend you check dates in upper left hand corner of a post before replying to it. Sometimes these old threads get dug up by a spammer posting to them.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-08-2011

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
It happens. Every now and then I'm searching for something specific, come across an interesting posting, and end up replying to a thread that is ancient. Then you realize it and... DOH!

Nonetheless, this is fortuitous, because I am looking for my "next boat" and have seriously considered an O'Day 37 that is available not too far from me. So I've been looking for someone who is familiar with them, in hopes I could pick their brain. Do you mind a bunch of questions?

Now that it's just you and your wife, do you still use the aft cabin, or have you moved forward? Is yours the type with the aft berth that goes across the boat, or the one that is more like a wide v-berth. Does one of you have to climb over the other during the night for visits to the head, and if so, just how much of a pain in the backside is that? What's access to the engine like? What kind of speed do you average on long runs? What's the center cockpit like during a good blow? You say that the previous owner sailed it to the Carib. Do you know if they took the offshore route, or island hopped?

Sounds from your previous post like you were happy with the boat, and would recommend it to someone who wanted that size. True?

Thanks!